Were soft tops ever factory made for the FJ45 pickups? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just out of curiosity, were factory soft tops ever made for FJ-45 pickups?

I'm not talking about aftermarket bikini tops, but an all-weather, fully enclosed soft top.

They'd be useful for half-cab FJ40 applications, if they ever existed.

one company used to make a soft half cab for 40's, had one back in the late 80's. there were pics of one floating around on here

I've never seen a soft top, though there was a railing available for Toyota to replace the upper cab section (I've never seen a photo of one on a 45 however, so i imagine they weren't too common).
upper cab and roof parts.jpg

IIRC, the railing is only about a foot tall, from the tub/top mating surface.

That's what I remember too. Pardion has one for his swb. If you do a thread search for pardion AND railing, you might find a pic.;)

A Rover top, interesting.

Sean and I were measuring the top for my 1951 Dodge M37, but it's a couple inches bigger in all dimensions than what the FJ40 needs.

looks like there was oem 45 top at one time .they have them listed for the general market .on the EPC canvas top standard specification and C specification pic of epc #'s also lists it up to 84/10
abbreviation TPS= canvas standard ,TPC=canvas spec C
oem1 [800x600].jpg
oem [800x600].jpg

What's the difference in the specs for the canvas - how is 'C' spec. different? Any idea?

those are referencing fj45 "troopie" rigs...the TPS is tarplin standard....which means...it has a tailgate and rear flap covering top.

the TPC is the ambi door araingment

if you notice there is also a tps and tpc for the 40 series....the GEN is refering to "general" market

what you dont have listed is the TPB which is the swing out lower doors (Barn Doors) and canvas flap upper

TP tarpaulin softtop ( canvas top or vinyl top )
TPB softtop B type, swing gate back door (barn doors)
TPC softtop C type, swing out back door (ambi doors)
TPS softtop standard type, tail gate back door (tailgate)
TR truck (pickup)

Last edited:
AH! so those part #'s are referencing the troopie. so then no oem top for the fj45 U.S market ?

AFAIK not fj45 (pick-up) top in any market past like 62-63?

and the tops weren't a full top anyway it was a canvas back flap...special order...see pic
soft%20top.JPG

almost sure that is correct, no soft top 45 pick em up's

AH! so those part #'s are referencing the troopie. so then no oem top for the fj45 U.S market ?

I know that this thread is focused on the cab, but there was a set of bows and canvas made for the rear of the SWB 45 pick-up. There is a picture of this set-up in a book called "Land Cruiser Gold Folio" or "Gold Portfolio" or something like that. If someone has this book(I have not seen mine in years), please locate and upload this pic. It may be a one-off set-up, as I think the vehicle was being used as a marketing rig. More likely (and as usual) this was destined for somewhere other than the US market.

i've got a couple copies of the gold portfolio...i'll check when i get home

Gol dang if that don't look sweet:bounce2::bounce2::bounce2: There are alot of 45's here that folks are using as DD and workhorse vehicles. All could use this kind of love.

I hopefully will have one of those on my 45 one day. I ordered one of them and some doors on the last order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom