Had new key made (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is funny- I bought a pack of like 10 cases/keys on eBay, then I bought an OEM Toyota key because I wanted the logo case and everything. Brought the real key blank and a few of the eBay blanks to a very good locksmith. The locksmith triumphantly came from behind the counter and said now THIS is a real key. THIS is a totally fake key. Sure enough, the real key cut terribly, with flaking plating coming off and everything. The eBay key cut perfectly and he "schooled me" that the eBay key was the real deal and the real key was a great example of a fake key. I didn't tell him which was which! Pretty amazing. So some of the eBay blanks/cases are really good. The batch I got was outstanding.

As for programming, techstream all the way. I went through all the silly sequences in my driveway a million times and could not get them to work on the 2005. With Techstream it's done in 5 minutes.

I'm late to this party, but I've played around with these enough to maybe have some helpful info.

The fat rubber keys and the remotes should ALWAYS have a chip. I've never seen or heard of a key in those form factors with a broken chip. A generic machine checking for a chip may just be wrong. The plain metal key or the thin hard plastic keys will not have a chip, but can still be used to start a vehicle if you have a chip nearby (in one of my key fob shells or mounted near the ignition).

The transponder (aka chip) must be within a few inches upon engine crank for the ECU to allow it to start. The transponder is only used during cranking. After cranking the transponder doesn't do anything.

Beware of those cheap key cases. Some are good, most are terrible. They are the reason I make and sell the key fob shells. After my second ebay/amazon shell cracked on it's FIRST crank I gave up and made the separate fob shell. I also had to file both ebay/amazon shells before the remote buttons would slip into the plastic shell. The shut-offs in the injections molds didn't seal properly so there was flash around the edges. Not a huge deal, just annoying. The keys are cheap, but the hassle of getting them cut again and again was the deal-breaker for me.

Ive ditched my factory shells and gone the Yota MD route

Woot! Thanks for the shout-out! :)

Did a STAUBER Lexus key shell from amazon. tight fit for buttons, all work, and no wiggle with key in housing clean case finish.

Does anyone have experience programming the immobilizer part for 2006 LX470?

I figured the pedal dance thing is worth a shot?

Does anyone have experience programming the immobilizer part for 2006 LX470?

I figured the pedal dance thing is worth a shot?

I tried the "hokey pokey" method a few times on my 06 LX and finally gave up and used the mini VCI/techstream method.

I tried the "hokey pokey" method a few times on my 06 LX and finally gave up and used the mini VCI/techstream method.
JLB You seem to be answering all the tech questions I've been searching through! Do you have links to the shells and chips? Does it matter which Vci cable you buy? I can't seem to find them online.

Last edited:
I don't know what to say... Are you stalking me? :)

I ordered "10PCS Original 4D68 Key Transponder Chip for Lexus" from "Kisskeys" off of eBay (and traded a few emails to ensure it was the correct part) in order to program a Lexus "credit card key" for my 06 LX

IMG_20151203_200350_zps8icbryha.jpg

If I remember correctly, there were a few different chip variants used over the years of production, and may or may not differ between LC & LX. (This was just the transponder chip, and not the remote/fob)

For shells, (I've only bought for my son's 2000 LC) I've purchased the "Denso" blank off of both Amazon & eBay. I think my most recent order was from "qualitykeyless" on eBay.

The website that I purchased my mini-VCI cables from doesn't seem to exist any longer. There was a link in this recent thread:
FINALLY got Techstream to work!

I don't know what to say... Are you stalking me? :)

I'm sure it seems that way. Thanks again for the help. So it I want to program additional master keys I need to buy a remote with the "chip" in it. It looks like the chip does not have any buttons to put into the shell. Is this correct?

I'm sure it seems that way. Thanks again for the help. So it I want to program additional master keys I need to buy a remote with the "chip" in it. It looks like the chip does not have any buttons to put into the shell. Is this correct?

Mostly correct.

The "fob" has the chip and the lock/unlock/panic buttons and it would be needed with the shell/blank listed above, to make what most people would call a master key.

It is my understanding that you can also program a Camry style no-button transponder key as a "master" key in the ECU.

A "fob" key and a "master" key are generally thought of as the same thing, but they don't have to be programmed that way.

To further add to the confusion, there is a physical "master" or "valet" cut which determines whether the key will unlock the glovebox, but may not have any bearing on how the ECU views the key.

What are you trying to accomplish with the additional master keys.... Prevent an expensive situation where you have no "master" keys or provide a "fob" key for a family member that will be a frequent driver?

Mostly correct.

The "fob" has the chip and the lock/unlock/panic buttons and it would be needed with the shell/blank listed above, to make what most people would call a master key.

It is my understanding that you can also program a Camry style no-button transponder key as a "master" key in the ECU.

A "fob" key and a "master" key are generally thought of as the same thing, but they don't have to be programmed that way.

To further add to the confusion, there is a physical "master" or "valet" cut which determines whether the key will unlock the glovebox, but may not have any bearing on how the ECU views the key.

What are you trying to accomplish with the additional master keys.... Prevent an expensive situation where you have no "master" keys or provide a "fob" key for a family member that will be a frequent driver?

^This. I want to set up 3 "master keys" in case one is lost. All with the "fob" to lock and unlock the doors with it.

FWIW according to the Lexus dealership in Raleigh NC as of March 2017 they are no longer allowed to cut aftermarket keys due to the risk of them damaging their equipment.....
As my luck would have it I called about two weeks too late.

I just got a chipped key from Ebay for $5 and got it cut at the dealer for $36, when I asked the service guy to print me the procedure to reprogram the key he said "Sorry, I can not print the procedure. We need a machine that reprograms the ECU to a new key"
After this nonsense I went out to the lot, read 2 min on TLC FAQ and did it in 5 min with no issues. He wanted to charge me $299 for that.

Just jumping in w/o reading whole thread, but this is at least relevant:

For my '04 LC, i went to local hardware store, they copied my master and mirrored over the "chip signature". Note that the new key uses a watch battery to power the signature duplication. Key works like a charm. cost somewhere around $30.

^^^^^^^ Yes.

Any transponder key with the CORRECT chip should 'program'.... provided there is a working 'Master Key' to use in the process.

It 'might' be necessary to delete all other keys (except the Master being used) from the control unit before a new one can be programmed/accepted...because there is limit to how many can be programmed in (5 IIRC). But other than that...yes, they should work.
Hi, Can you tell us please how to delete the (5-IIRC) please or i guess you delete 4 of the 5 so you still have a master ? Thankyou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom