H55f to h150 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys h55f gearbox in my 75 Ute 92 model is getting a bit how ya going, lined up a new gear box but it's a h150 out of a 80 series. I know I'll need to swap the transfers over. Anyone know what else is involved or if it's easily done? Thanks for any help

I'm assuming you have a 1HZ ute ..?

I'm not familiar with your market but my H55F input it's 10 coars splines and my H150 it's 21 fine splines .. but if you have an 1HZ then you have the same input and likely bellhousing ..

You might want to look at a HDJ 78/79 series to see how they got it to fit. Find one in a car yard and take some pics. Pay attention to the t/case shift lever mechanism positioning.

When I did my FTE swap I used the h150f box from the donor Hdj79 this is what I found - the shifter moves back by about 80mm the low range shifter stays roughly the same because in the middies we have that large removable plate that goes around the transmission tunnel you just remove that and get the one out of a 78/79 hdj and place the plate over your one using the holes in the plate of the low range stick it will show you where to cut out the metal on your plate for the main gear stick, then you just weld up half the hole and you'll have a transmission tunnel plate that's water tight and fits the new sticks position. Then mount the gear box to the engine with the hdj78/79 cross member bolted to the gearbox a jack the whole lot up where the cross member touches the chassis you weld on the factory brackets which Toyota sell for about $25 each, this places the gearbox in factory position. The top of the gear box will hit on one of the ribs on the body you just trim off 50mm of metal and it fits. The rear tail shaft will need shortening and the front one needs lengthening, you will need the front tail shaft from a hdj78/79 as well because the front pinion is smaller than the h55f one so you will end up with a front tail shaft with a small pinion at gear box and large ( original) at the front. My opinion unless you want a stronger gearbox for 5th gear purposes or lower low range it's not really worth it. The H55f is a strong box behind anything up to really a 1hdt or 1hd-fte. If your changing boxes you might as well got the whole hog and bolt in and FTE and never look back

Just noticed it's for a ute so you'll have the small pinion front diff so the front tail shaft just needs lengthening.

You should also be aware that these transmissions can have different t.case shifter locations depending on what they are being fitted to when new. I'm not sure about the 80 series but the 100 and 7* series are not compatible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom