H55f needs 5th gear and more any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just bought a five speed for 400 hoping to save money and have a chance to rebuilt it. It did not come with any fifth gear parts, no spacer,gear shift fork, pins ect. Does any one know where I could buy this in a set? Or have any ideas thanks.

You can get them still from Toyota.

But just an FYI: The 5th gear itself is more than what you paid for the whole transmission.

Terrain Tamer makes a rebuild kit for the H55F but it will not have gears or synchros. Those will need to be sourced from Toyota.

Good luck sir.

you're certain it isn't a 4 speed?

^^^
This

The 5 speed top case looks like the pic below. Note the rubber boot circled in red.

image.jpeg

I think it would behoove the OP to post a few pix of said tranny before spending money.

hopefully it is a 5 speed, if it turns out to be a 4, please post up who sold it as a 5...we need to weed those types out.

Also, FWIW, these transmissions, the 5spds in particular, are difficult to rebuild; they require a number of special tools, either purchased ($$$) or made, as well as the skill and an encyclopedia of curse words: Foreign and Domestic. I don't mean to dissuade or spook you, just want you to know what you're getting into.

There are a few good threads on the process, though, and the H55f FSM is available here in pdf format.

Still waitin' on those pix, AZ.

Terrain Tamer also has a good bit of videos on YouTube very good to watch.

Terrain Tamer makes a rebuild kit for the H55F but it will not have gears or synchros. Those will need to be sourced from Toyota.

Good luck sir.

How much for the kit?

Check with Can Am Cruisers- they push the terrain tamer stuff here on the west coast USA

Beno will have to find the rest of the missing pieces....

Thanks for all the advice. I wish I asked before bought it, I drove from az to Huston to get it. But that's life :) I'm going to sell it and get a new one from toyota. Thanks everyone!

Hey, before you give up on it, is it an actual 5 speed? you should be able to tell via the shifter...if it is a 5er, then you might be able to get something out of it by making its parts available to others(part-out) if you can't find the pieces to fix it...and if it's a 4 speed, you need to throw someone under the bus...who sold it as a 5?

C'mon, Dude - inquiring minds want to know. SHOW US DA PIX !

Also, if you're gonna buy new, you should contact the Pinnacle of Parts Procurement Professionals: Beno (MUD user name). Best prices and I believe he will arrange and ship. Most places won't.

parts@landcruiserpartsandconsulting.com

@beno

Last edited:
Will post a pick Monday sorry out of town. I have had my land cruiser expert friend look at it and he says its a five speed. Should I try to sell it whole? On Craigslist/ebay. Or part it out, and if that then to whom? Thanks so much!

if it's a five speed, I vote for find out whats missing and if you can get those bits, how much it will cost. then just do the maths and see if it's worth it to press on, or cash out.

I'd prolly have gone this route, as well, to get my grubbies on a fiver...have a grateful w/e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom