H42 stuck in gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The needed parts for the Suspected faulty Detent Ball repair

Roughing-In a new backup light switch , for future new back up lights kit while Transmission Hump cover is off is the idea too

DSCN9143.JPG

81ITysVtnPL._SY886_.jpg

Pulled trans hump, and found this mystery spring sitting in this exact spot. Weird. Kinda looks like a detent ball spring. More to follow.

685B9854-432D-4BB1-BE14-80187222ACCB.jpeg

Pulled trans hump, and found this mystery spring sitting in this exact spot. Weird. Kinda looks like a detent ball spring. More to follow.

View attachment 1857605

Since the first thing I saw when pulling the transmission hump was a detent ball spring sitting right there, I assumed upon pulling the tower, we would find two of the three springs in their respective locations. This was NOT the case. There were NO detent springs at all!

Went back together quickly with correct springs/balls. @RAGINGMATT will be along with additional detail/color, but it test drove great, and the stick engagement is certainly the best it’s been in a long time.

I definitely have many questions wondering how long it’s been that way, and who might’ve reassembled the transmission that way.

609645CF-7D27-4845-B5C8-F5776DEAD06D.jpeg

CC39DE14-499A-49BC-B5C9-55D79D4AECD0.jpeg

I must admit Upon lifting off the Transmission Hump & seeing all this I was a bit taken back , & even More Puzzled o_O

All the Fossilized Gear Oil was somewhat expected , so were the PO Socket rotation contact marks on all the Cane Tower Bolts

But , The site of a Detent Ball Spring simply just sitting on the corner of the Top Cover Shift Plate made me instinctively grab for my Digital

Nikon right away ...........

DSCN9188.JPG
DSCN9189.JPG
DSCN9190.JPG
DSCN9191.JPG
DSCN9192.JPG

It was clear that some Scraping & De-Greasing around the cane tower was in order to prevent any Debris & or fossilized Gear oil Garbage from

falling into the Transmission during the Initial Removal & Inspection of the cane tower & suspected Broken Detent Balland or spring Issue

We cleaned what we could & what was practical to prevent any internal transmission contamination , the cane tower was Further Cleaned

100% once removed

To our surprise , all 3 Detent balls were in place ? But to our Horror & shock all 3 Detent ball springs were Simply Missing ,

I was like WTF :confused:

I used a small telescoping magnet Antenna size to PHISH out the 3 balls , I used Brake Klean with a red straw to Purge each Detent spring &

ball Chamber , I degreased the gasket surface & polished it with a RED scotch bright Disc. , Applied Oarnge FIPG 00295-01281 to

both the top cover & cane tower gasket mounting surface , applied a new gasket , & assembled , while Pushing DOWN hard as SH#T as we

could to compress the Detent ball springs &n engage the threads on the x6 12mm Hex cane tower bolts

Installed the Shifter Stick w/ All New OEM Retainer Hardware as well

I Took a Deep breath and said to Myself , ok whats wtf is next ..........................:hmm:

DSCN9195.JPG
DSCN9197.JPG
DSCN9199.JPG
DSCN9200.JPG

Last edited:
The Unique Vehical Symptoms that led up to the Subsequent repair & job scope ( which in the end was somewhat straight forward ,

but ONLY after the fact , reaffirmed what i firmly concluded along time ago. PO's SUCK :mad:

The Good news is @ksrunner 's truck is on the Mend, & will be back on the Road this weekend & the Mystery Detent Spring & Ball

repair job scope was a success :)

a VERY special shout out to @Pin_Head for his SHARP as Tack input & @65swb45 's as well , THANKS guys :popcorn:

images999999999999999999999999.jpeg

wondering how long it had been like this?
odd, if no one recently had been in there that it ran like that for awhile with no symptoms

good to hear it is repaired and back on the road

This has been a very good thread especially for me since I’ve been having some similar shifting problems and had no idea how to solve nor had to nerve to open it up. I now feel confident to go in there, know what to look for and what parts to order. After the holidays I’m going in there. Thanks to all who added info, pics and video.

Good job Matt. For future reference, I use a couple of extra long 8mm bolts to start the sequence of reinstalling so I don’t have to ‘push down hard as sh*t’ on the cover.

As soon as I am sure I will have enough thread contact to make it safe, I switch over to the factory hardware. Once those are tight, I remove my SST bolts and replace them with factory as well.

Good job Matt. For future reference, I use a couple of extra long 8mm bolts to start the sequence of reinstalling so I don’t have to ‘push down hard as sh*t’ on the cover.

As soon as I am sure I will have enough thread contact to make it safe, I switch over to the factory hardware. Once those are tight, I remove my SST bolts and replace them with factory as well.

Great pro-tip! Went ahead with new hardware from SOR, but they sent 6 tower bolts of the same length. The middle two are longer, so wound up reusing those old ones.

wondering how long it had been like this?
odd, if no one recently had been in there that it ran like that for awhile with no symptoms

good to hear it is repaired and back on the road
That’s a very good question. According to the previous owner, the transmission was never touched while he owned it going back to 2014. He said a well known cruiser shop in Virginia just did transfer case shifting/linkage work. It’s crazy to think how long this had been like this.:eek: In light of how dramatically improved the transmission feels, I’m a little floored that a well known cruiser shop could have jumped in the truck and not thought, “hey, this isn’t right.”

The Unique Vehical Symptoms that led up to the Subsequent repair & job scope ( which in the end was somewhat straight forward ,

but ONLY after the fact , reaffirmed what i firmly concluded along time ago. PO's SUCK :mad:

The Good news is @ksrunner 's truck is on the Mend, & will be back on the Road this weekend & the Mystery Detent Spring & Ball

repair job scope was a success :)

a VERY special shout out to @Pin_Head for his SHARP as Tack input & @65swb45 's as well , THANKS guys :popcorn:

Yes! You guys nailed the diagnosis. Many thanks!

A immediate Test Drive of course :eek:

Best part was @RAGINGMATT doing his best Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove, except a gas tank instead of a nuke, while “the bomb bay doors are open.”:rofl:

Without the detention springs, the shifter will feel mushy, like a stick in a bucked of concrete instead of the crisp click it makes when going into N and into gear. “Snick, snick”. I’ve never seen someone leave them out. It just goes to show that you don’t need them to stay in gear.

This is another Minor Topic :

what is this switch or sensor all about ?

it appears to be over the 1st - 2nd gear shaft & forks , & resembles a back up & or 4wd indicator light switch , but is much flatter in height

it Not in the Grey FSM , or at least i did not see it ,

DSCN8590.JPG

My 1st Guess is it Related to the Primitave Emissions Computer in some way much like the Thermo Sensor on the Cylinder Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom