h42 rebuild bearings questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
Im attempting a transmission and transfer case rebuild. First attempt at diving into this but Ive rebuilt just about everything else on a LC. I took the trans and transf to a machine shop to pull the bearings. I now have clean parts and new bearings just waiting to be put back together...

I purchased the 4 / 5 Speed Transmission Rebuild Kit - 85 Up (Part number: LC JTO GBKL4) from JToutfitters and have noticed a few discrepancies with the bearings in the kit and the bearings that came off my transmission. I have attached a picture for everyone's consideration. On the left are the original bearings that were removed from my transmission. On the right are the new bearings from the kit.

The larger bearings located on the bottom were the correct part numbers and everything measures up as the same (35TM03NX and 6308N). Quick question, do the rings go on the inside or outside of the housing?

The problems I am having are with the smaller bearings (BOXED IN YELLOW).

Problem #1- The middle bearings (06NUP0820 and 06NUP0820AN) are exactly the same except for one has a ring grove and the other does not. Is this an issue when installing?

Problem #2- The bearing that was removed from my FJ60 (63/32N) has no ring grove and a smaller inner race. DG3580A lacks a ring grove but is too large in diameter by roughly 3mm... so its pretty obviously unusable. RNU080821N has a ring grove, is the correct size but is not a ball bearing style as 63/32N. It also did not arrive with an inner race so even if I were to press the bearing in the shaft floats (inner race is not pressed to the shaft). I think the long and short of it is that I need the 63/32N bearing and it did not come in the kit. Is this a correct assumption?

I think I'm dead in the water until the correct bearing shows up. I am putting together photos of the rebuild and plan to make a pic heavy thread. Any help I can get along the way will be a huge help.

IMG_1906.jpg

Have you contacted the vendor whom you bought the kits from for tech support?!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Tried calling JT this AM and emailed them over the weekend. Ill keep the post updated. I was curious if anyone knew if this kit was for a h55 and may not be compatible with h42 (from a late model FJ60, 1987).

I recon I need the 63/32N bearing for sure. As for the 06NUP0820 (orginal) vs. 06NUP0820AN (from kit) problem, I feel like I shouldn't use a bearing that isnt like the original, i.e. not use the one cut for a key from the kit.

@orangefj45 Would it be possible to get bearing numbers from your kit? I may have to scrub this one if they are unwilling to send me the correct bearings or accept return of the kit. Do you sell single bearings?

The 1987 H42 is a cross-over transmission since it has the larger input bearing. None of the kits on the market are correct for this transmission.
We keep the larger input bearing in stock and we'll be happy to help.
The rest of the items you received in the kits look as if they'll work just fine.

Ps: all the snap rings go on the outside of the transmission case.
I'd highly recommend that you arm yourself with an FSM to successfully complete the rebuilds.
And if you have a little time, check out our Cruiser Brothers video of how to rebuild a split case.

I have printed out the FSM and have been studying it since before Xmas. I've watched the videos 100 times as well. Just moving slow and want to confirm everything,

First, set everything in place inside the gear box.

Second, put bearing on mainshaft (output shaft side). Set the bearing (bearing# 6308N) into place and start it in. Use the SST puller (make your own) to set the shaft in the bearing (6308N). The bearing will sit flush on the ring against the outside of the gear box. Use SST to set mainshaft within bearing. Check for binding.

Third, insert roller bearings inside the input shaft (use grease to hold them in). Place bearing# 35TM03NX (mine is not a roller ball bearing like the one in the video. It has a plastic sleeve so I can not see the internal mechanisms) on input shaft. The input shaft will sit onto the previously installed mainshaft. This bearing will be lightly hammered into place up to where the clip is tightly on the outside of the gear box. At this point the mainshaft is installed, leaving the counter shaft "floating" below it.

Fourth, after watching the terrain tamer video I see the front countershaft bearing does not have a clip and he installs it first (bearing# 63/32n) on the output shaft side. It should be flush with gearbox body. Then he installs the output side countershaft bearing (06NUP0820N) up as far as the clip allows. Neither of these pieces requires a bearing press/puller. Just stand the gearbox on its end and hammer bearing onto the counter shaft.

Last edited:
Ps: all the snap rings go on the outside of the transmission case.
I'd highly recommend that you arm yourself with an FSM to successfully complete the rebuilds.
And if you have a little time, check out our Cruiser Brothers video of how to rebuild a split case.

And yes this video is incredibly well done! I have it saved on my computer for when I get to the transfer case. When will a transmission gearbox video be up on youtube? Really appreciate the time and work that went into that video!

So you watched our video before and still bought your rebuild kits elsewhere?!

Long story but yes... DOH. I bought a terrain tamer for the transfer case. Sent a bunch of emails around about the gear box and was assured the kit I purchased had the same bearings and was specifically for 87' cruiser. Doesn't seem to be the case. Live and learn.

Update: Emailed you all directly from your website about purchasing a kit from Valley.

Last edited:
That video is excellent! Thank you Georg. I appreciate your willingness to help us all out.
Onur's camera work is on point!

Thanks again @orangefj45

Ive attached pictures to show you what I mean.
IMG 1926: output side with new bearings (no bearings needed)
IMG 1927: Input side. I have my input bearing in place. The below countershaft bearing is missing.
IMG 1906: The top 3 bearings are my issue. The correct bearing I need is on the left (63/32N). The other two bearings came from my other kit. DG3580A is too large a diameter to fit in the gearbox body. RNU080821N inner diameter is small for the counter bearing shaft )and came with no inner race).

I know better than to put in an old bearing after I spent all this time rebuilding everything else. 63/32N is the missing link.

***Note for future gearbox transmission rebuild home mechanics***
I didn't want to slander names but JToutfitters got two out of four bearings correct in this kit. I had to purchase the main input bearing separately and now I'm purchasing the input side countershaft bearing separately. Pretty disappointed with their customer service (don't respond to emails and don't pick up the phone) and quality of product. Big thumbs up :clap: to Georg @ Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Brothers. They have answered all my calls and helped me get to the bottom of this.

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

63/32N bearing pictured below.

32mm ID
75mm OD
20mm thick

Is this the one you need?

Here to help

Shop 209-475-8808

image.jpg

Proper bearing is on the way!

Thank you for the order, i appreciate you sending business our way. Let me know if you need any more parts or info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom