GX470 Steering Wheel Replacement/Refurbish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

very cool! really like how it turned out... steering wheel have much life left in it? from the pics, it looks pretty good, but also not necessarily mint...

Non-nav, non-sport. PO nicely switched out the stock wheel with the t4r wheel. I believe it was bought on ebay. PO also pulled the wood, sanded and painted it Toyota galactic grey. It looks great, ih8wood.

very cool! really like how it turned out... steering wheel have much life left in it? from the pics, it looks pretty good, but also not necessarily mint...

Steering wheel is damn near perfect. At least as good as the t4r I sold to buy this GX470.

i got this one off eBay to refresh the leather.

as you can see from the picture, the wood grain is a lighter shade, less red than stock.

the taupe grey tan color is a pretty decent match. not exact, but also has time to get worn in.

PXL_20201031_004848366.jpg

after the swap, all my buttons work but the horn doesn't... anyone else run into this?

turns out if the spindle of the wheel is rusty, this affects the grounding of the horn. the horn power is wired through the airbag wiring. the ground is separate, but goes through the wheel into the steering column.

the wheel with which I replaced my original wheel had sat around for long enough to develope rust. I scrubbed the rust off and added antiseize to promote conductivity and horn function returned to normal.

turns out if the spindle of the wheel is rusty, this affects the grounding of the horn. the horn power is wired through the airbag wiring. the ground is separate, but goes through the wheel into the steering column.

the wheel with which I replaced my original wheel had sat around for long enough to develope rust. I scrubbed the rust off and added antiseize to promote conductivity and horn function returned to normal.

hmmm I wonder if that is the case with mine. Previous owner swapped it in. The horn works occasionally but definitely not all the time. I thought maybe it had something to do with the clock spring.

hmmm I wonder if that is the case with mine. Previous owner swapped it in. The horn works occasionally but definitely not all the time. I thought maybe it had something to do with the clock spring.

mine didn't work in any orientation of the wheel. the buttons and cruise control all worked perfectly. I swapped all the fuses and the horn relay too. this ground issue was the absolute last resort and if it didn't work I was prepared to sell the car, jk.

full credit to the tundra forum and owners for making a thread about this issue, and the solara forum and owners confirming.

Anyone tried a gx460 wheel? Feel like it would really modernize the interior a bit

Anyone tried a gx460 wheel? Feel like it would really modernize the interior a bit
I've seen a 5th gen 4Runner wheel/3rd gen Tacoma swapped into a 4th gen 4Runner, so I would bet it can be done. Getting a heated wheel to work would be cool.

To bring this to a close on my end. My horn wire came loose and was disconnected. I reattached it and crimped it tighter and everything is good to go.

Reviving an old thread.

Has anyone used the B&I refurb from CARID? Thoughts? Quality? Should I do this or the youtube fill, sand, and paint method? I would like to not have to worry about rubbing off paint or having to repaint in the near future.

Reviving an old thread.

Has anyone used the B&I refurb from CARID? Thoughts? Quality? Should I do this or the youtube fill, sand, and paint method? I would like to not have to worry about rubbing off paint or having to repaint in the near future.

No, I ended up buying a leather wheel wrap that required me to hand stitch it while on the wheel.

Not a perfect job, but it’s been over 4 years since i wrapped it and the leather is mostly holding up.

I might need to do it again next year.
746FBA80-891D-4BD2-9678-EBD21E49D70D.jpeg

C4E07841-46A5-4A73-816F-EDEB28495057.jpeg

I did a wheel upgrade on the Tacoma and plan to do the same on the GX. The wheel I used on the Taco was thicker with ridges and the perforations are deeper. Its one of my favorite mods. It was an ebay special purchased used from a member on the Taco forum. I plan to buy the same one with the ridges for the GX.
Here is the install video for the Taco where I go over the differences between the 2 wheels. It would be similar differences for the GX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom