GX460 Tesla Style Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is back and front of radio. I see there’s one cable that I believe was for the hazard button that I transferred to nee tablet unit.

If I keep the bottom half of radio with CD portion installed the tablet won’t fit as it takes up the entire old radio space.

04FCC26C-DAA5-4DDA-9421-16D64D962204.jpeg

49C942E7-ACFA-42BB-A7D5-FB2D2FACE04C.jpeg

E45D0DF0-7947-4DD8-9386-A23DB1C68722.jpeg

7451B8FC-6714-46FD-AA0F-1CDDFD62544F.jpeg

Thanks I will checkout those instructions and see about the lower part of radio and faceplate.

So I installed the tablet with the bottom oem portion of the radio installed and this is not for my particular radio/tablet as I see in the install pics from Lexus forum the tablet in the pics has different connections on the back then mine does.

Everything worked on the tablet except two things, the airbag warning light and the reverse camera.

Guess I am just going to re-install my original radio system.

I would NOT recommend Rhino Radios because they provide no installations instructions, do not respond to emails, are very vague when they do and don't even address the issue or answer questions. Very frustrating to say the least.

UPDATE:

So I talked to phoenixautomotiveinc.com, who recommended I use a code reader that can also clear the air bag error/fault code and that this should not happen anymore so I will try that this weekend.

I do not want to give up on this as the potential is there but need to resolve this issue.

And at least phoenixautomotiveinc answers the phone and has a tech to help resolve issues.

Will update again this weekend.

UPDATE:

So I talked to phoenixautomotiveinc.com, who recommended I use a code reader that can also clear the air bag error/fault code and that this should not happen anymore so I will try that this weekend.

I do not want to give up on this as the potential is there but need to resolve this issue.

And at least phoenixautomotiveinc answers the phone and has a tech to help resolve issues.

Bravo on your tenacity of bird dogging this install!!! :cheers:
I think I'm speaking for everyone on this thread when I say, "Well done!" 👍
I truly hope that reprogramming it works! And keep posting!!! 🤞

Reactions: SSG
UPDATE:

I'm having the exact same issues as you and very interested in your learnings so please continue to share. I have a 2016 Lexus GX and am trying to install the same radio and same issue with the airbag light. I haven't done any cutting and splicing yet as I wasn't clear on the wiring to connect to.

@KDZ for sure will keep posting here.

Right now I have the bottom part of the oem radio installed (per some picture instructions I got from Lexus forums) and airbag light is still on but I will receive my code/fault reader tomorrow that also clears air bag warnings so will know for sure tomorrow, as Phoenix radios tech told me that clearing the code should keep it from coming back, not sure about that but won't know til I try tomorrow when my code reader arrives.

I doubt I need to keep the bottom of the oem radio connected like in the pictured instructions as those show a different tablet radio used. Also the airbag warning light is on the top portion of the oem radio.

Will try with and without oem radio tomorrow and will update on here.

One thing I noticed on Rhino Radios site for this specific tablet is that they have a device that resembles a code/fault reader in the pic and the pictures stays clear of showing where the airbag warning light would show...bit weird...Pic attached.

Rhino Radios website picture:

Screenshot_2020-01-03 Lexus GX 460 GX 400 2010 - 2018 15.jpg

Update:

So I got a fault scanner with airbag option and got a fault code (B1 660), which I also cleared and I see it clear on the vehicle dash but then it immediately reappears again. So I am guessing it is constantly looking for it, so if cleared it checks for it again.

So I will reach out to Phoenix automotive again and share with them that their recommendation did not work.

IMG-4165.JPG

IMG-4168.JPG

IMG-4169.JPG

IMG-4170.JPG

IMG-4171.JPG

So I found the issue!!!!

You can see in the pics the top portion of oem radio has the 12 pin connector (white harness) that goes on the most left side of oem radio, this is the connector for the airbag as it is attached in the same bundle as the black and blue connector which also go to top part of oem radio, when I plugged in this 12 pin connector (white harness) the airbag light went away, when I take this one out it comes back...

Problem is that radio comes with no corresponding harness for this 12 pin connector but the other black and blue that go to top part of radio do have connections in the tablet/harness...

I will update Phoenix about this one as I have a ticket opened with their tech support, I will also called them tomorrow as well.

IMG-4174.JPG

IMG-4179.JPG

IMG-4181.JPG

I am thinking that if I can find a harness/connector that connects these two pictured below that this could possibly work with the chip method.

So a male 12 pin to a female 6 pin, which connects to 6 pin (only 5 populated) tablet harness with the chip resistor thing. Just an idea...

6pin.JPG

IMG-4179.JPG

IMG-4181.JPG

So I spoke with the Phoenix automotive tech this morning and have a ticket opened with them with full details about the issue and how there is no connection or harness for this airbag 6+6 pin oem connector that goes to the tablet radio. He stated he will reach out to the manufacturer and contact me tomorrow with an update.

I have also ordered some wire connector cables and harness/connectors so that I can have a back up plan and basically create my own connector/harness for it that will connect to the jumper/resistor chip I have, that may work and it may not as I have not found anyone with a newer GX460 that has used the chip successfully, given the different harness cable that older models have.

I'm trying to make sure I understand. You don't need to rewire with the "chip", but rather need to connect the harness to the original OEM radio removing the faceplate, etc. It's hard to follow the whole flow here in the thread, so once you have a complete solution, please restate as simply as possible and I'll be thrilled to take advantage of your learnings. Wondering if I should give this a whirl next weekend.

@KDZ Once I hear back from Phoenix automotive I will have more info on if they will provide a harness/connector and in the meanwhile I am experimenting with creating my own harness to connect vehicle airbag connection to the provided chip.

With all the time you have in this project the billable hours would probably have paid for a Tesla :D

@KDZ do you have the chip yet? If not please request it from the company you purchased your radio from. We have several pics of it posted in this thread, you will need this.

Air bag connectors are the H8, H32 or H28, which is the one I have below.

H8 and H32 have been also posted in this thread as to where to wire orange and purple wires.

Here is the wiring if you have the 6+6 airbag connector that I have:

H28 on factory side, pin 11 is green and pin 6 is black.

H28.png

You need to cut the chip off the harness provided by tablet company. You will need to route the orange and purple cables from chip to airbag connector labeled in above diagram, red to ACC. Please follow the diagram above to connect the corresponding spot. I will be buying a 6+6 male pin connector that I will use to connect to the factory airbag connector and connect chip to this as I do not want to mess with the airbag connector itself. You can use t-tap connectors or use butt plugs, what ever you choose.

So if you do not have the chip go ahead and order it now as it took a bit to arrive from China.

I will be testing this out this weekend but sounds to me like this should work but will know for sure once I try it :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask here. I see you also live in Seattle so if you need help with the install I can also help you out with it.

Cheers

UPDATE:

I can confirm that my last post with instructions and the diagram works!!!! No more airbag light!!

If you have my same H28 airbag connector, I recommend you purchase (link below) a harness like the one I used to make it easier in my opinion and you don't have to cut or splice into the vehicles original airbag harness. For the red wire I used an add a fuse and ran to fuse box under steering wheel area.

Amazon product ASIN B01JICJUW4
If you have any questions just let me know and I can assist.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I can confirm that my last post with instructions and the diagram works!!!! No more airbag light!!

If you have my same H28 airbag connector, I recommend you purchase (link below) a harness like the one I used to make it easier in my opinion and you don't have to cut or splice into the vehicles original airbag harness. For the red wire I used an add a fuse and ran to fuse box under steering wheel area.

Amazon product ASIN B01JICJUW4
If you have any questions just let me know and I can assist.
@SSG I ordered the part you mentioned at it will come on Friday, so I'll give all this a try on the weekend. If you don't mind texting me your phone number, I might reach out if I have questions. You can text me at 206-349-6145. To clarify I think I have the CHIP, and when I cut it out of the harness provided, I connect the three wires on the chip as above, but what's done with the wires on the other side? May be easier to have a brief phone chat if you're game. Or post a picture of the final wiring for this part if you have it. Also do I ignore all the stuff about the factory radio and ribbon in the thread or that's still part of the process.

@KDZ for sure, will give you a text.

So you have the H28 vehicle airbag connector correct?

So on the chip you will use the orange, purple and red wires and connect purple and orange wires into the Amazon harness with the 6+6 connector on it and make sure these are connected to where the black and green wires are on the H28 vehicle airbag harness from diagram above. Then you can use an add a fuse like I did for the red wire and run it to your fuse box under drivers seat.

The other end of the Amazon purchased harness does not get connected anywhere, the vehicle srs/airbag system will get the info it is looking for from the chip.

Adding some pics of my set up here.

chip2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom