GX460 Tesla Style Radio (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The first picture with a red circle is the "chip" you need, you cut the 3 wires red purple and orange..give yourself some length to play with...then you take the main harness that rhino radio sent to you...find the white connector I have a picture of that has 6 cavities..but only 4 are populated....the two grey corner circuits that I have arrows pointed to need to be cut give yourself some length to play with...strip all 5 wires you have cut.. butt splice the orange and purple wires to one of the grey ones...I have them labeled in one of the pics to which wire goes where... lastly t splice the last red wire to an accessory power circuit.. you can run it to the fuse box near the drivers feet if you wanted.....so total of 5 wires cut...2 from main harness supplied by rhino both are grey...and 3 wires from the airbag "chip".

No parasitic drain on my end from the radio...biggest thing is to upgrade your android auto/carplay dongle when you get it

Reactions: SSG
Ok, I will definitely be trying to do this mod soon. I got the apple carplay dongle from them as an optional item but I don't use this, I basically just connect to my phone via bluetooth and will add the spotify app to the tablet.

Going to bust out the multimeter to find this parasitic drain. Only things I have installed is the radio and my radar detector, which is wired into my rear view mirror.

@BPGX460 did yours come with a CANBUS and did you use it? Mine did but not sure what it is for, says 360 on it so I thought it was for the 360 camera I got with it, have not installed that camera yet so did not use it.

Canbus.JPG

Canbus2.JPG

Canbus3.JPG

I should have mentioned my vehicle is a 2013 gx premium with trizone climate and rear seat entertainment...and I meant update your carplay dongle...not upgrade...I think they sent me the 2014 version...I think if you dont have the dvd unit with navigation...you keep the module at the bottom...I took mine out.

Ok, I have a 2018 GX460.

So that 360 box is for the optional 360 camera I ordered from them, Rhino Radios are supposed to call me shortly as they said I should have a Canbus, but there was no other Canbus included. Also want to ask them if they have a jumper to solve the airbag issue or if I have to do the same mods you made to yours.

Has anybody asked about how bright this thing is driving at night? Is there an auto dim for when the headlights come on? Or perhaps changes on an internal timer/clock?
A screen that big, with a white background would light up the interior like an office building at night!

Has anybody asked about how bright this thing is driving at night? Is there an auto dim for when the headlights come on? Or perhaps changes on an internal timer/clock?
A screen that big, with a white background would light up the interior like an office building at night!

I use auto dim, but Its still super bright ...have to use a black background or android auto in nightmode 100% of the time.. then its perfect

After numerous requests Rhino Radio is finally sending me a "chip" to remove the air bag warning error on my dash. Hopefully this works.

Keep us posted!! 👍

So you cut the "chip" out of the harness... (they sent me the wrong harness).. they might have sent you the correct one... then find the 6 way on the main jumper harness for the radio.. use butt splices for the orange and purple.. then t spliced into an accessory circuit.. which I had for the usb power going to glove box

View attachment 2151276

View attachment 2151277

View attachment 2151278

So I finally received the "chip" harness from Rhino Radios and of NO instructions from them, my harness looks a bit different from yours (just one of the plugs is a bit smaller) but wires are the same.

This harness does not connect to anywhere on the back of the radio or basically anywhere, so I guess this has to be spliced like you did to yours.

So do I basically cut off the 3 wires (purple, orange, red) off of the harness with the chip on the end and that is all I use?

I then use a but connector to connect the purple and orange wires together and use the red wire to connect it where?

What do you refer to when you say the "hen find the 6 way on the main jumper harness for the radio..?"

Also what is that blue connector that you are showing? If purple and orange are connected via a butt connector how do they also get individually connected to that blue connector in the picture?

Where did you connect the red wire to exactly?

Sorry for so many questions and appreciate your help with this.
Thanks.

Here is the chip harness they sent and the connector I believe you are referring to for splicing orange and purple. I see yours is plugged into a blue connector but mine is not plugged to anything. I have 2018 GX460 base.

04AA64B0-F4A6-4905-A09C-9C48D9ABC0BA.jpeg

BC98054A-90F8-4D9E-BF5F-81C3CB660B4A.jpeg

282A87E7-F5D8-4547-A5F5-8CFD4493E26D.jpeg

@BPGX460 The only thing the harness they sent me connects to is itself...

My only concern at this point is that you connected your spliced purple and orange to a connector that is connected to that blue connector which I do not have.

76BC227C-4830-4BAD-AE91-95B27D592D65.jpeg

Update:
So I cut the purple, red and orange cables from harness and kept those with the chip end, I then cut the two grey cables on the 6 prong harness from radio that @BPGX460 mentioned before.

I twisted together orange cable from chip and one of grey wires, purple cable from chip and same to the other grey cable, used butt connectors for both of those to attach the other ends of the grey cables connected to 6 prong harness. I then connected the red wire to an amp power cable on a harness that is coming out of back of radio.

My airbag light is still on...not sure if this 6 prong harness actually connects to anything, tried connecting it to all available harnesses coming from vehicle and radio but connects to none of these but @BPGX460 harness is connected to a blue harness...

Some pics attached.

FE21D9E1-12BA-4D8D-90C9-61987B27D130.jpeg

484567D3-D5C4-4D26-89A4-519BF291AF51.jpeg

1F9DF4AF-5A2D-4504-8B79-5826E3A428C0.jpeg

ECC2E198-A52E-476F-A1AF-4D81CE3D620C.jpeg

E5F36B81-68A8-4287-B382-EA2602D9E0B3.jpeg

I just tried running that red wire from the chip via an add a fuse directly to fuse box under steering wheel, first to the power outlet fuse and then to the acc and the airbag warning light still comes on.

Not sure if I was supposed to twist the orange wire to grey wire and purple wire to other grey wire and then use butt connectors to attach other end of grey wires to each or just butt connect orange to grey wire on harness end and not other part of cut grey wire...

No word from Rhino Radios, they are not responsive at all, sometimes they respond but most of the time they do not!

Another issue with these radios is the oem back up/reverse camera does not work either, which really sucks!

Last edited:
So I also just tried by removing other side of grey wires as you can see in pics but airbag light still on.

If Rhino Radios offers no solution for this then I am just going to install the oem radio back in because with this issue and no back-ip camera it is just not worth it to me. If I knew this thing came with no instructions and no working backup cam and airbag issue, I would not have bought it. Hopefully I can save others the time, money and hassle hahaha.

89862C7C-3F0A-4F8A-8433-BC486DE4ACD1.jpeg

0BA296B3-C1A1-4A2F-BE7C-B538DB744697.jpeg

FFC1B057-C474-4614-855A-4C3A879EBF00.jpeg

83934EED-7902-43C8-A088-41EB6712CB26.jpeg

The blue connector is for vehicles with navigation I think...since yours is base im assuming it doesnt have navigation, so I think they sent you the right one...yours should just be plug and play...are there any connectors from the car that fits? It should be a black connector...

DIAG.png

The blue connector is for vehicles with navigation I think...since yours is base im assuming it doesnt have navigation, so I think they sent you the right one...yours should just be plug and play...are there any connectors from the car that fits? It should be a black connector...

View attachment 2171001

Ok but mine did come with navigation.

Check the original radio you took out, was there a blue connector that had 6 cavities, on the back of the radio itself? I remember seeing on the directions for keeping the original nav/cd player unit that is below the original radio in, did you do that? I didn't since nothing was connected to it for my car ( I have rear entertainment with dvd player in this location).
1577933660579.png

Reactions: SSG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom