Builds Guppie's FJ55 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oops

I was thinking it has been awhile since I updated this thread, work has been kicking my ass so LC time is limited, I plan to soon, suspension is on, axles are repainted and hung, minitruck torn down and all parts repainted, now am putting together the axles. I would like to get the axles done and have a rolling chassis before I update the thread. I am also planning on doing a "picture" thread of a minitruck disc swap. Stay tuned.

a few teaser pics of me and my shop helper. He listens to all my landcruiser nonsense when my wife just rolls her eyes. I am stoked on the build though, every bolt and stud new. It is so nice to work on stuff when my hands don't even get dirty. sweet. some of you guys know what I mean, :)

oh yeah, I NEED A GOOD FJ55 DASH! PM me if you can help.

later,

Noah
10.06 fj55 work005.JPG
10.06 fj55 work003.JPG
10.06 fj55 work006.JPG

Last edited:
soooo clean...

Looking great Noah-

Keep it up man, a little each day really makes good progress. Can't wait to see it all come together.

Rezarf <><

Watch out with the dog. I was installing new springs last weekend and my lab walked off with one of the u-bolt nuts. Looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Couldn't even find a replacement. Had to buy whole new u-bolt with new nuts.

They are good helpers though...

thanks everyone, promise to get pics up soon. My minitruck writeup will be complete so basically anyone can do a minitruck setup by just following the pics. Shop helpers like my dog are good, just wish he had thumbs. :) I hear you on the taking of s***. He loves shop rags, can't get enough of em.

Noah

Nice looking dog! I have a yellow lab. He "helped" me put an OEM PS setup on my '79 a couple of years ago when he was still a puppy. I found sockets all over my living room that he had filched. He's a lot better now. He just lays there and goes to sleep. Doesn't even jump when I start cussing at something. I guess he's gotten pretty used to that...

Some Updates

So I am a complete lazy Douche so I don't have too much to report. Finally got the suspension hung, axles rebuilt and converted to discs and some original tires on there with the retro rims which will be replaced eventually with new ones. But for now it is nice to be able to roll the vehicle in and out of the garage.

I also have made some MAJOR changes to my plans for this build. Some purists will probably be pissed but I have decided to go vortec / auto route on this build w/split TC. I basically just decided that if I was going to put this much effort and time into it I really want to use it and for me that means having some nice power and an auto, plus this way my wife can drive it! God help me.

As far as the front disc brake minitruck conversion I will be doing a seperate tech thread and will post it here later when done:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=137225

I would urge anyone thinking of swapping to minitruck discs to just do it. It really wasnt' that bad and with some creative searching you really can find all the info you need. My tech thread is meant to fill in the "gaps" I have found in some of the threads here, mainly pics. My thread will be entirely pics with little wording showing the teardown piece by piece of the mtruck axle and the build back up. Easiest way for me to learn so thought I would put the info out there.

Here are a bunch of pics of the progress and a few of the rotisserie that I am working on building right now. My 1975 drill press crapped out on me so I stopped as I hate using a hand drill. I got the idea from Gumby's build in the 55 restoration section. It basically is just 2 harbor freight engine stands chopped up and fabbed to work as a cradle.

let me know if anyone has any questions, thanks, Noah

rebuilt diffs with new seals / cut off rear 2f engine mounts
10.06 fj55 work011.JPG
10.06 fj55 work013.JPG
10.06 fj55 work015.JPG

Last edited:
i dig the rottisserie! goin to have to get another engine stand now, ha ha.

did you estimate c.o.g. of the body top to bottom?
or pretty much just toss on the cross supports where you could put them easily?

i'm not tryin to knock you at all, just curious b/c i'd like to do the same thing, but a 40 body without a top is a lot more bottom heavy and i'm trying to figure out in my head a good set of mounting points on the cowl/firewall...

the rest of the rig looks awesome and clean as always...keep it up

malphrus

i dig the rottisserie! goin to have to get another engine stand now, ha ha.

did you estimate c.o.g. of the body top to bottom?
or pretty much just toss on the cross supports where you could put them easily?

i'm not tryin to knock you at all, just curious b/c i'd like to do the same thing, but a 40 body without a top is a lot more bottom heavy and i'm trying to figure out in my head a good set of mounting points on the cowl/firewall...

the rest of the rig looks awesome and clean as always...keep it up

malphrus

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=97506&page=2

here's the link to gumby's thread, got the idea there, basically just doin it and we will see how it turns out, the engine stand has a pin that will hold the body in place wherever it rotates to, I also plan to extend the stock engine stand outer legs to give it a wider stance. I will post up some more pics later.

Noah

thanks for the link...

Nice work man! What kind of calipers did you use? Are those the Eldorado calipers referenced earlier in the thread? Also, what kind of springs and shackles are those?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom