Gullinbursti (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gullinbursti (meaning "Gold Mane or Golden Bristles") is a boar in Norse mythology.

When Loki had Sif's hair, Freyr's ship Skíðblaðnir and Odin's spear Gungnir fashioned by the Sons of Ivaldi, he bet his own head with Brokkr that his brother Eitri (Sindri) would not have been able to make items to match the quality of those mentioned above.

So to make gifts to Freyr, Eitri threw a pig's skin into a furnace as Brokkr worked on the bellows, and together they manufactured the boar Gullinbursti which had bristles in its mane that glowed in the dark.

The story of Gullinbursti's creation is related in the Skáldskaparmál section of Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda...

"Then Brokkr brought forward his gifts: ... to Freyr he gave the boar, saying that it could run through air and water better than any horse, and it could never become so dark with night or gloom of the Murky Regions that there should not be sufficient light where he went, such was the glow from its mane and bristles."

image post

Cool nick and logo for an FJ55 rebuild project, huh? :)

The truck which I'm planning to build is a complete wreck, but it also happens to be the only "intact" Iron Pig I've seen in Pakistan (it's a '78 model, I'm told). While it does have all the body parts still present and accounted for, a lot of rust has crept in. I suspect the under-carriage and under-belly mechanicals are absolutely knackered, too. The engine and transmission are missing, and the dashboard has been replaced with one from a 70 Series. In short, the chassis and the body-shell seem to be the only "retrievable" items on the truck; which isn't saying much, since it's going to be more a "resurrection" from the dead, than it might be a termed a "rebuild".

Postivity, though. All the more reason to rebirth the thing properly.

Upgraded mechanicals, electricals, interior. Creature comforts, maybe. So that the truck outwardly maintains its old-school Iron Pig looks, but everything other than the outward appearance gets the makeover, in terms of performance, economy, and in-cabin ergonomics.

Which brings me to WHY this thread isn't in the Iron Pig Preservation Society...it isn't going to be "preserved" at all...it's going to be remade! Wish me luck, folks.

Photos of the donor, coming up soon. :)

I'm thinking stuff from a 90 Series Land Cruiser.

The 1KZ-TE is a very reliable, very torquey type of engine, and the full time 4WD option certainly won't hurt, either. Independent front suspension, an upgraded dashboard, console, steering, and front-rear seats sound good, too. Rear diff locks come standard on certain variants.

Visually, the Prado should be around the right size, too.

I know...I'm starting to ramble.

Already.

If you are going to need a fresh (silver powder painted) grille and head light bezels, I can supply, PM me if interested.

If you are going to need a fresh (silver powder painted) grille and head light bezels, I can supply, PM me if interested.
Thanks, mate. From the look of things though, we'll be custom fabricating these. :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom