Group Buy on 2.5LB Halotron Fire Extinguisher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in if they'd ship it to Kuwait :D

I will pay the extra shipping cost of course

Okay after being on the phone with four companies none wanted to ship these individually even though they advertise FREE SHIPPING. So as of now no group buy. I'll keep working on this and report back with updates.

Thanks for trying Victor. Group buys aren't easy even with great, cooperative mudders like we have. Just ordered from Apache. Shipping charge is $7.60 for the 2 1/2 lb.

yup thanks for trying. search leather seat recovering to see how I did on a group buy :D

Hey fellas,

I'm working from "home" today, so I thought I check out my local Fire & Safety place for these extinguishers. They explained the differences to me in this way: If you have a fire near the rear of the engine, toward the firewall, you'd somehow need to get the powder of an ABC type fire extinguisher to sit on top of the fire so it can smother it. Imagine try to send the powder toward the rear of the engine going through the radiator or other means! However, the Halotron could be shot through the radiator/grill area and it would simply depleat the O2 under the hood, thereby, putting out the fire.

My local supplier carries several sizes of this type of extinguisher. The 2.5 and 5 lb looked manageable. The 5 lb one can be mounted to the vehicle using a similar type of mount as the CO2 Powertank bottle. Included is a camera phone pic of the two sizes and the mount.

The price for these things is very high at my local outfit.

5 lb 2.5 lb
New $205 $145
Refurb $130 $75
Mount $45

refill $100 $130 :eek:

I showed them the printout from the above link and their price structure $75 for 10 or more and he "thinks" the owner could do something on the price/unit for a group buy.

Anyway, just some more info.

Ali

ps the dude I talked to uses the Halotron to cool down the intake on his turbo Eclipse something or other to get more HP out of the engine. He says it cools it better than CO2!
fire extinguisher.jpg

alia176 said:
Hey fellas,

I'm working from "home" today, so I thought I check out my local Fire & Safety place for these extinguishers. They explained the differences to me in this way: If you have a fire near the rear of the engine, toward the firewall, you'd somehow need to get the powder of an ABC type fire extinguisher to sit on top of the fire so it can smother it. Imagine try to send the powder toward the rear of the engine going through the radiator or other means! However, the Halotron could be shot through the radiator/grill area and it would simply depleat the O2 under the hood, thereby, putting out the fire.

My local supplier carries several sizes of this type of extinguisher. The 2.5 and 5 lb looked manageable. The 5 lb one can be mounted to the vehicle using a similar type of mount as the CO2 Powertank bottle. Included is a camera phone pic of the two sizes and the mount.

The price for these things is very high at my local outfit.

5 lb 2.5 lb
New $205 $145
Refurb $130 $75
Mount $45

refill $100 $130 :eek:

I showed them the printout from the above link and their price structure $75 for 10 or more and he "thinks" the owner could do something on the price/unit for a group buy.

Anyway, just some more info.

Ali

ps the dude I talked to uses the Halotron to cool down the intake on his turbo Eclipse something or other to get more HP out of the engine. He says it cools it better than CO2!

That would be cool if we could get the price. But we would still be left with shipping. Like Bent, said Apache Chemical sells the 2.5lbs Halotron with shipping for $79. Thanks Ali

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. I'll prolly get one from Apache Chemical for $79. Due to the high cost to refill these things, I'm imagining that we'll prolly need to purchase a new one when the charge leaks out over time.

Brentbba said:
Thanks for trying Victor. Group buys aren't easy even with great, cooperative mudders like we have. Just ordered from Apache. Shipping charge is $7.60 for the 2 1/2 lb.

Ordered on the 25th, haven't received, no way to check on the order with my order number on their website, tried calling three times already today and no answer or busy on the 800 number listed on their site. :eek:

Brentbba said:
Ordered on the 25th, haven't received, no way to check on the order with my order number on their website, tried calling three times already today and no answer or busy on the 800 number listed on their site. :eek:

I ordered mine from Apache on Jan 16th and it still hasn't arrived. I don't know what their deal is. I haven't tried calling yet but it sounds like they don't really answer anyway. I dunno :confused:

I also tried ordering from them, on 1/27/06. Have not received anything, and they don't answer there phone. I'll give them a few more weeks.

When I buy on the web, I look for websites that are an extension of of bricks and mortar firm. Evidence of this include information regarding their physical locations, addresses, names of the business principals, etc.

It looks to me that apachechemical.com is likely the other type - webstore which may be a one man operation with drop shipping from suppliers.

Just a heads up... I'm looking at doing a 2.5lb HALON group discount deal if anyone still has the extinguisher bug. Check the top of the outfitting forum.

Good luck to those having trouble with Apache. I just got burned buying some HID headlight bulbs on Ebay for the wife's Max.:mad:

Brian

alia176 said:
Hey fellas,

"I'm working from "home" today, so I thought I check out my local Fire & Safety place for these extinguishers. They explained the differences to me in this way: If you have a fire near the rear of the engine, toward the firewall, you'd somehow need to get the powder of an ABC type fire extinguisher to sit on top of the fire so it can smother it. Imagine try to send the powder toward the rear of the engine going through the radiator or other means! However, the Halotron could be shot through the radiator/grill area and it would simply depleat the O2 under the hood, thereby, putting out the fire."

Ah, that bit (they told you) about getting the powder to the fire is sort of misleading....the powder will get there. The question is do you have enough of whatever agent that you choose to put it out. If you want an extinguisher for a vehicle BC is the way to go(that is only MY opinion and you should get whatever you want, cost vs use). It will leave some mess, but that mess is good because it sticks to things that were burning. An ABC is much worse about cleaning and I believe is actually corrosive to some metals. A 5lb BC will put out a good bit of powder and it will get everywhere in the engine compartment. Fire extinguisher really only work two ways cool the fire -water type, or remove the supply of oxygen- about all others. As far as shooting the Halotron through the radiator, I have never done that and have no idea about it working. Sounds good, but at that price I would want to see a video/demo of it done (hell the same shop should have one if they sell it).

Yes, true about the hood release cable burning quickly. I've had two engine fires: one the cable burned, one it did not. I probably popped it quicker the second time. The first time, I emptied two good size dry chem extinguishers into the grill and it did very little if any good. Someone got it open, but I don't remember how. Probably pried it.

brianinaustin said:
Just a heads up... I'm looking at doing a 2.5lb HALON group discount deal if anyone still has the extinguisher bug. Check the top of the outfitting forum.

Good luck to those having trouble with Apache. I just got burned buying some HID headlight bulbs on Ebay for the wife's Max.:mad:

Brian

Brian,

I'm interested if the group buy is still on..........

I sent Apache an email via their site over a week ago - no response. I'll send another one cancelling with my specific order number. If the thing ever shows up, it will be returned. Fortunately nothing on the CC yet either.

Brian - I'm interested if price is in the ballpark if this one that hasn't worked and is RELIABLE.

Brent, Lurking through this thread, I thought that perhaps I could help as I work for a fire protection company here in so cal. Shoot me a pm as to what product(s) and size(s) you want and I'll gather some pricing without shipping. Mark

TUFFTORQ said:
I thought that perhaps I could help as I work for a fire protection company here in so cal.

Can you come up with something for all of us that have expressed interest in a Halon/Halotron type of extinguisher?

-B-

TUFFTORQ said:
Brent, Lurking through this thread, I thought that perhaps I could help as I work for a fire protection company here in so cal. Shoot me a pm as to what product(s) and size(s) you want and I'll gather some pricing without shipping. Mark

PM sent.

All right here's the scoop:

Halotron is not the ideal candidate (just my .02)

Similar and enviromental friendly is a product called Clean Guard and the pricing for 2.5 and 5lb extinguishers with a bracket are as follows:

2.5 lb Cleanguard (order of 10 or more) $105.00 Lists for $156.78
5.0 lb Cleanguard (order of 10 or more) $150.00 Lists for $225.00

Price excludes any shipping or tax @8.25

I can order these on a "will-call" status from a distribution center in Rancho Cucamonga (so cal) and ship on your dime.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom