Grom VLine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the grom vline on a 2008 that the PO installed. Every time I play music through it (amazon music) I get static and frequent stops. There's also a 2-3 second delay if I make changes on my phone. For example if I pause the music, the vline display doesn't react to it for 2-3 seconds. Anyone else had these issues? FYI, it's connected via apple cable.

My dad and I share this account, he had the same problem, I'll get him to post an answer soon, but I'm pretty sure he just took it apart again and when he put it back together, it started working.
When I put the vehicle into reverse or hit the surround camera button, it seems to trigger... but I get a black screen with white lines. I am curious if your problem was the same.

Grom's only response was to check the trigger wire, but it doesn't seem like a trigger wire issue.

So the installer took it all apart today, and tested the reverse camera and surround without the Vline connected and confirmed they still work fine. He then reinstalled and reinitialized the Vline and the problem still exists. The installer also checked all the wires to make sure none were pinched and all seemed fine. It is looking more like there is a problem with the unit.

When I put the vehicle into reverse or hit the surround camera button, it seems to trigger... but I get a black screen with white lines. I am curious if your problem was the same.

Grom's only response was to check the trigger wire, but it doesn't seem like a trigger wire issue.

So the installer took it all apart today, and tested the reverse camera and surround without the Vline connected and confirmed they still work fine. He then reinstalled and reinitialized the Vline and the problem still exists. The installer also checked all the wires to make sure none were pinched and all seemed fine. It is looking more like there is a problem with the unit.

Seems like there are a lot of issues with their system. Don't get me wrong, when you are making an aftermarket unit integrate with a factory one the way this done, it is complicated, but I'd hope more R&D and testing would go into it before going to market. Seems like they have some QC issues going on.

I'm still annoyed that those of us with 16+ Land Cruisers all wasted a lot of time taking our dashes to be guinea pigs for this company, and their response is "the product works on the bench, not sure why it won't work". I hope they fix their issues, but I don't see me supporting them with the many issues reported here and on other forums.

Still hoping Beatsonic tailors one of their units to work with the 200s. The ok news is while Beatsonic told me they had no timeline for a solution (if ever), they just informed me today they are working on a solution, but it will still be months out, and to check back in 6 months. At least it is progress.

Last edited:

Your reverse camera issue sounds exactly like what I experienced. I'm almost positive that for me the issue wasn't with the Grom unit , because in my effort to trouble shoot the problem, I first reconnected all the wiring back to the original OEM connections. Without the Grom unit connected at all, the backup camera (in fact all the camera inputs) still didn't display. Like you said, it did trigger the video screen, but there was no picture.

Just to expand on what I already posted earlier, the post install testing was fine and the backup camera worked with the Grom unit installed and operating. It was only after I put the trim pieces back on that the backup cameras didn't show a video signal. Once I couldn't get it to work, I took it all apart again and disconnected all the connections and blasted them with compressed air and reconnected. This didn't fix the problem, so that's when I put it back to the original OEM connection (back to the factory setup). Unfortunately, the reverse cameras still didn't work...triggering yes, video no. I reconnected the Grom unit again and still no camera video. Literally, at this point I gave up and planned on trouble shooting another day. The only thing that I still needed to do was to put the two trim pieces on to the right side of the center console. After doing that, I checked and wouldn't you know it, it started working! Only thing that I could think of is that in the process of installing those trim pieces, I pushed up against the wiring that I had running underneath from the headunit to the Grom unit installed under my glove box.

So, I really don't know what caused the camera video signals to go blank, but again, I don't think it's the Grom unit. You may try to hook the head unit back to the original configuration and see if that fixes it. That way at least you'll know if there's something wrong with the Grom or installation.

By the way, I've taken those exacted panels off twice (with some hesitation) for something unrelated, and the camera video continues to work.

Good luck!

Your reverse camera issue sounds exactly like what I experienced. I'm almost positive that for me the issue wasn't with the Grom unit , because in my effort to trouble shoot the problem, I first reconnected all the wiring back to the original OEM connections. Without the Grom unit connected at all, the backup camera (in fact all the camera inputs) still didn't display. Like you said, it did trigger the video screen, but there was no picture.

Just to expand on what I already posted earlier, the post install testing was fine and the backup camera worked with the Grom unit installed and operating. It was only after I put the trim pieces back on that the backup cameras didn't show a video signal. Once I couldn't get it to work, I took it all apart again and disconnected all the connections and blasted them with compressed air and reconnected. This didn't fix the problem, so that's when I put it back to the original OEM connection (back to the factory setup). Unfortunately, the reverse cameras still didn't work...triggering yes, video no. I reconnected the Grom unit again and still no camera video. Literally, at this point I gave up and planned on trouble shooting another day. The only thing that I still needed to do was to put the two trim pieces on to the right side of the center console. After doing that, I checked and wouldn't you know it, it started working! Only thing that I could think of is that in the process of installing those trim pieces, I pushed up against the wiring that I had running underneath from the headunit to the Grom unit installed under my glove box.

So, I really don't know what caused the camera video signals to go blank, but again, I don't think it's the Grom unit. You may try to hook the head unit back to the original configuration and see if that fixes it. That way at least you'll know if there's something wrong with the Grom or installation.

By the way, I've taken those exacted panels off twice (with some hesitation) for something unrelated, and the camera video continues to work.

Good luck!

Did you hook up the wire from the reverse wire? I have an addendum instruction that said it is for the LS460. It requires a wire tap.

Installed my VLine2 yesterday in my 2010 LX570. Install seemed to go fine but I can’t get wireless CarPlay to work.

When I go through the setup process and click on my phone in CarPlay settings, it connects for an instant then disconnects. Wired CarPlay works fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Strangely I had the opposite issue. Once I got wireless to connect, it only wanted to do wireless. If I wanted to connect via usb it would keep trying to connect wirelessly. I have a wifi hotspot in the truck that I wanted both the GROm and my iPhone to use for data, but because wireless CarPlay uses wifi, it couldn't do both. When I'm around town its fine, but out in the boonies, I wan't my hotspot with its mag mount rooftop antennas to handle the data, which means connecting to CarPlay via usb. It fights me every time. Otherwise wireless CarPlay work amazingly well.

I reset the network and app settings on the Vline and the colors went all funky.

I ran the software update and it found a Vline update, which it installed.

CarPlay now works but the colors are all screwed up everywhere. Looked through the settings but didn’t see anywhere to change them.

ABF9C47B-FF0B-4593-8A3E-8805E7305C3D.jpeg

46299ACD-577C-45E6-8417-82AE50347139.jpeg

I reset the network and app settings on the Vline and the colors went all funky.

I ran the software update and it found a Vline update, which it installed.

CarPlay now works but the colors are all screwed up everywhere. Looked through the settings but didn’t see anywhere to change them.

View attachment 2397165

View attachment 2397166

That seems like a wiring issue. Maybe check your connections, or try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a bit, so the GROM gets a hard reset if its not somewhere easily accessible.

That seems like a wiring issue. Maybe check your connections, or try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a bit, so the GROM gets a hard reset if its not somewhere easily accessible.
Yeah, I’ll give that a try.
Looked great up until I did the data reset in the software, though.

Yeah, I’ll give that a try.
Looked great up until I did the data reset in the software, though.

Thats why I'm thinking a hard reset is step one.

Yep. A holdover from the early Ataris and VCRs. Who says we can’t keep up with the younger generation? If unplugging/plugging didn’t work I was going to suggest blowing through the cd slot.

Quick update on my issues with my GROM VLine2. I have a 2011 LX and my issue is my backup camera still does not work. We have confirmed it isn't the install and it is a software bug. They have been working on it for over a month now.

Honestly the bigger issue early on was the lack of customer support. They have no phone number. When it was in the shop and we were trying to figure out why the camera wouldn't work, it took almost a day to get a response. I then had to take it back to the installer and it still didn't work. Again, sent a message and had to wait 24 hours and then bring it back to the shop again. Fortunately the installer got good at taking apart the dash, but the three trips cost me $400 and I still don't have a working backup camera.

Has anyone upgraded the mic with their Vline? I’m pretty disappointed in the call quality with the included mic and wondering if replacing it would help.

Quick update on my issues with my GROM VLine2. I have a 2011 LX and my issue is my backup camera still does not work. We have confirmed it isn't the install and it is a software bug. They have been working on it for over a month now.

Honestly the bigger issue early on was the lack of customer support. They have no phone number. When it was in the shop and we were trying to figure out why the camera wouldn't work, it took almost a day to get a response. I then had to take it back to the installer and it still didn't work. Again, sent a message and had to wait 24 hours and then bring it back to the shop again. Fortunately the installer got good at taking apart the dash, but the three trips cost me $400 and I still don't have a working backup camera.
Currently working through this same issue.. the lack of phone number and long response times is infuriating. They fixed the issue of the volume being too quiet but then the back up camera stopped working...

Has anyone upgraded the mic with their Vline? I’m pretty disappointed in the call quality with the included mic and wondering if replacing it would help.
i tried and it seems to work better with Siri commands but phone calls are still bad. Currently waiting on customer service to get back to me on this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom