GPdenver's 1999 LX470 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I decided to sell my BMW 7 series daily driver in favor of a 100 series due to life changes-100lb dog, daily home depot trips, skiing 30 days a year, etc. The 7 series was a beautiful car, but I needed a daily beater that I wouldn't be worried about. So I picked up a 1999 LX470 from a soccer mom that was meticulously maintained, black on tan and 173k on the clock.

I am a car fanatic, but this will be my first suv that I have owned. Earlier in life I wanted to go fast, and look good while doing it. I now have other vintage cars and motorcycles that let me do this, but I wont be able to abandon my roots, and will be concentrating on making the car look better than it does currently.

First things first, I ditched the running boards and replaced and flushed the ahc. Then off came the running boards. Then Plasti-dip for the front grill and rear emblems. This is the first picture I can find of the truck with one of my BMW's parked behind it.
ToMRHQC.jpg

The stock tires were a bit larger than stock, but I knew that I would be changing them out for bigger tires soon.

Unfortunately the car had a timing belt failure on I-225 after only 40k, and I had to deal with that ordeal. Had the car towed to Slee in golden where they told me I should sell the car for parts or start looking for a used motor, and they were quoting me about $7000 for the repair with a used motor. Being a car nut/weekend mechanic I wanted to investigate further and had the car towed back to my garage. If I needed a new motor I would rather install it myself than pay 7k.

Under further inspection this is what I found:
78lqVpr.jpg

BJF1Vrt.jpg

Now the Toyota literature and the common impression is that this is an interference motor, but guess what, it's not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was lucky enough to talk to a mechanic who had fixed many of these motors both in the LC and TUNDRA, and he said out of 8 TB failures, only 1 had damage to the head. If the timing belt fails on you, or in my case a bearing, you can check the condition your motor by putting a rachet on the cams and spinning them manually. If there is damage you will feel it! After we verified that there was no head damage, we put it back together.

qenUJan.jpg

Car fired right up and runs like new. I have put about 7k on the car since the failure without a hiccup. Not sure if the PO used an OEM TB kit or not, but I do have the receipt from the replacement 40k previously. Either way it was a big relief to have it fixed and hopefully I can help the Land Cruiser community by putting this interference motor myth to bed. Moral of the story is if you have a TB failure, chances are the motor is fine!!!

Coming from much more modern German cars, I needed some tech for the car, so I added a Pioneer double din with nav, bluetooth and rear camera. HUGE IMPROVEMENT
jiSVIej.jpg

Then I thought I would test the capability of the car offroad in essentially stock form. Went to moab with a big group and split off with a buddy and his fj to have some fun. Had no idea how well the car would do, it OWNED HELLS REVENGE. it had been raining and had some fun water crossings that were up to the hood which made things interesting but again, this beast owned everything I threw at it. Obligatory pics:
cm7iisY.jpg

fPjbP53.jpg

kKlcMRy.jpg

eBTj8bd.jpg

QOZ8dVT.jpg

Da4GyQN.jpg

That brings me to where I am today. HID headlights are on order, as are new wheels, and have 305/55-20 BFG mud terrains waiting in the garage. Wheels will be here on monday, and I will post up pics for everyone, as I had a hard time finding anyone running a 20 inch wheel with a beefy tire.

Future plans include lifting the car 2in, but keeping the ahc as I love the smooth ride and after reading a post about AHC high mode being taller that the slee 2.5 inch kit, I plan on running air lift air bags in the rear and tightening the torsion bars in hopes it will help carry the heavy loads I often carry. I will say it did well for itself with 7 adults and a fully loaded roof box for 1400 miles 2 weeks ago. Currently have 1600lbs of marble in the back and often carry 2000+lb loads in the cargo area.

I am going to paint the two tone grey bumpers and lowers to black to match the car, as two tone was very popular in the 1990's but that is where is stayed and with good reason. I am also adding led tails, and a rear spoiler to try and bring the car into this decade.

Eventually I will add a front bumper, but all of the options for this car are butt ugly, so I will be building a custom bumper. It amazes me that there is not 1 good looking option for this car. Slee almost got it right.

9 months of ownership and I have to say I love the car. Its not a sports car but I don't treat it like one.

Congrats on the purchase. I have an 01 LX that I bought about 2 weeks ago with 171k on the clock. I'm trying to understand your post, are you saying you bought it at 173k but the bearing failed at 40k? Or did you buy it and put 40k on it? I'm changing my timing belt and all its components Wednesday because I'm not sure if it's been done yet.

Congrats on the purchase. I have an 01 LX that I bought about 2 weeks ago with 171k on the clock. I'm trying to understand your post, are you saying you bought it at 173k but the bearing failed at 40k? Or did you buy it and put 40k on it? I'm changing my timing belt and all its components Wednesday because I'm not sure if it's been done yet.

I think he's saying the prior owner had replaced it 40k ago, and it recently failed after he purchased the 100.

Clean E3, what year is it?

Nice car and well done with the engine.
It always pays when you are a bit mechanically minded.

I used to sell Toyotas and during my tenure I remember going to the product training when the 4.7 was introduced. They trained us that the 4.7 is NOT an interference motor.

I can't say whether or not it cannot happen, perhaps there's a fluke position in the stroke cycle that would cause interference however they said it was not. That's why I was so surprised when everyone on this board said they were - to the point that I called the dealer service dept after the fact and they also said they were not. Oh well!

Gorgeous E3. Love those rims on that car. I have a 1985 E23 greymarket 745i that I recently found some new 17" shoes for and couldn't be happier with the improved visuals and drivability.

Nice rig and beautiful e3. A guy here at work has a e28 that hes specked to an M and is just mouth watering.
As for the 4.7 being interference from what my buddy at Toyota tells me its specific to the VVTI motors that came along in 2006 onward.

Great write up! Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future. Let me know what your thinking for bumpers. I'm in the same boat. With only about 5 choices it's hard to make your rig stand out in a crowd.

So yesterday this happened:
Dvw8fmG.jpg

oOW5mE1.jpg

KI46vWq.jpg

20x9 BBS wheels, 305/55 R20 BFG mud terrains. It did need a spacer for the front to fit over the LC hubs, so I cruised up to Slee and picked up a pair of spacers for the front, and I figured while I was there I would pick up the AHC override switch. Installed all of it last night and here are the results. Still a work in progress but I'm headed in the right direction.

Next up painting the two tone body color and installing 6000k HID's. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend.

Deciding if I am going black with the wheels or not, but I decided to paint the lowers first and then decide. If anyone is selling their rear spoiler let me know, I am in the market. Not the deflector, but the one from the late model cruisers.

Last edited:
Interesting! Don't see too many 20s on here, so they definitely stand out.

Let us know how you like 'em off road.

which Pioneer model did you put in

Such a pretty truck. I know the OEM tinted glass is hard to match but I think you can do a lot better than that!

Eventually I will add a front bumper, but all of the options for this car are butt ugly, so I will be building a custom bumper. It amazes me that there is not 1 good looking option for this car. Slee almost got it right.

I am interested to see what you come up with. I am a huge fan of minimal, flat-top plate bumpers. The Slee "Shortbus" 80 Series is, IMHO, perfect.

The fat lip look of the Blueberry is a result of a radically different front end on the 100 Series. I have seen many 1-off attempts at a 100 Series front but haven't liked a single one.

I do not like huge, integrated skid plates (from an aesthetic point of view) and I don't like the looks of too much bumper down low...but it seems unavoidable on these trucks.

At any rate, you seem to be a man with a plan so I can't wait to see what you end up with!

Looks good man, I say keep the rims silver... black wheels will be out of style in 10, 9, 8, 7...

I'm just up the road in Broomfield, we'll have to compare notes at some point and show you a few local trails. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

My Highbeams burned out, so I put a set of high quality aftermarket hid's in place of the factory lights, these have to be twice as bright!

Just ordered HID's for the low beams and fogs as well, and still need to get around to painting the bumpers and lowers. Slow progress for now as I am working 70 hours a week lately.
78SUVZL.jpg

15g21hW.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom