Got troopy! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question for you all: What is this trim piece called and what years/models was it available on? Were there other colors available and is anyone selling these now?

I'm not sure it's installed properly, but this seems like the only way it will go on.

Thanks

HardTop-Lip-Bumper1.jpg

HarTop-Lip-Bumper2.jpg

I was thinking about doing many similar things to my troopy, so can I ask a couple of questions?

How does one come to hold those wheels in thier hands?

Regarding the barn door tailgate - it looks like the rear end on the photo on post #144 is as smooth as a babys bottom where the hinges for the barn door tailgate go. But in the earlier post, you show a lower tailgate hinge, but say you did not drill into the tub to achieve that look. How did you do that?

I was thinking of using the ambulance door hinges on the barn door tailgate - they hold out the doors another almost 1/2 inch on either side and so it seems possible to balance those 3 gaps - right, center, left - in the barn doors to have it look proportioned. If I could get by with one hinge, even with a fabbed piece to matche the bolt pattern on the barn doors without digging into the troopy body, I would prefer to do that!!!!!

It astounds me to see new parts on 40's after all these years in the hobby. I had never seen rain gutter trim, but it kinda makes sense, especially in a troop.

82 Cruiser,

I have a question on the finish. I like the satin finish and you stated it was mixed 2:1 with the flattener could you add to that. Was it added to the clear coat or base coat? I'd like to paint my 55 with the satin look.

Thanks,

HayMaker

I was thinking about doing many similar things to my troopy, so can I ask a couple of questions?

How does one come to hold those wheels in thier hands?

Regarding the barn door tailgate - it looks like the rear end on the photo on post #144 is as smooth as a babys bottom where the hinges for the barn door tailgate go. But in the earlier post, you show a lower tailgate hinge, but say you did not drill into the tub to achieve that look. How did you do that?

I was thinking of using the ambulance door hinges on the barn door tailgate - they hold out the doors another almost 1/2 inch on either side and so it seems possible to balance those 3 gaps - right, center, left - in the barn doors to have it look proportioned. If I could get by with one hinge, even with a fabbed piece to matche the bolt pattern on the barn doors without digging into the troopy body, I would prefer to do that!!!!!
Hi HayMaker,

The wheels are oem and available from Toyota or on the used market. Easy to get.

Post #144 - while the lower hinge hole area appears smooth, there are actually holes there for the barn door hinges. I had to drill those to accommodate the lower hinge. I did not have to drill the upper hinge holes as I modified the hinge itself to work with the oem ambulance door holes. Clear as MUD?

scrapdaddy wrote:

I have a question on the finish. I like the satin finish and you stated it was mixed 2:1 with the flattener could you add to that. Was it added to the clear coat or base coat? I'd like to paint my 55 with the satin look.

Hey scrapdaddy - I used Mason 2K single stage paint with flatner and no clear coat. While it looks pretty good, it's not as strong as what it would be with a clear coat. I find that it's easier to scratch the finish. I knew this going in and don't have a problem with it because it's easy to touch up the paint with either a gun or spray bomb cans.

Thanks for the reply on the barn doors.

But I was thinking that since you made a custom hinge for the upper, maybe it would work to build a single bracket that covered both sets of holes on the gates. I am in the process of making a larger bracket for the tailgate that covers both hinges, even if it doesn't work, I can cut it down and mount the other hinge proportionately on the gate. Wish me luck...

Installed the Tuffy console for the stereo. After many complicated systems over the years, I wasn't looking forward to all the wiring, battery requirement, expense, and the liability of nice equipment in an open topped rig. I've been trying to come up with a simplified stereo using a headless system run from a phone, which would at least eliminate the head unit.

I tried a Bose Mini Soundlink in the dash and it fit...system done! The PO cut the radio slot larger to 7.2" and the Bose is 7.1" long, so that was lucky. Currently looking for some type of stick-on plastic to cover the metal edges of the radio slot opening. Let me know if you know of anything that would work there.

Tuffy&Bose.jpg
Bose1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Nick.

Scratch my last post. Can't hear it enough on the highway, so back to the drawing board. Should have seen that coming.

Replaced left side fuel rail with an earlier one that has the pressure regulator on it, with Wally's help (thanks bud). On the return trip from Wallyworld it cavitated again at the 3 hour mark. Replaced the fuel pump with an Airtex e2000 and moved the filter and pump to the outside of the frame rail for cooler running. Just came back from trip in the truck and no fuel issues after 3 hours of driving in 80 degree whether. Promising and I hope the cavitation doesn't return in hotter whether. Still need to fab some kind of skid plate or guard for the pump and filter.

Installed a set of Toyo AT2 tires in 285/75/16 on some Stockton wheels. The Interco ssM16s were nice but more aggressive than I need. Will sell those or maybe use them on the trailer.

Now planning for an Old Air Hurricane install.

e2000fuelpump.jpg

TroopyTR.jpg

That sure is looking good. What is the max speed she will do?
Might want to take the beer out of the right side cradle before your next drive.
Nice!

Ron - I talked to Restomod Air and they said they are a sister company to Classic Auto Air who makes their units. Curious why you think the Restomod is a better unit than the Old Air Hurricane. I'm considering the Hurricane due to it's small footprint and the fact the TLC uses them. I'm not sure I could fit the Restomod unit in the 47 due to it's size. Have you already installed yours in the 55? I'll check out your thread again. Thanks for the suggestion.

love2fly - Thanks! I've had her up to 75 which is fast enough for me. Could go much faster but I'm not pressing my luck. No driving with beer...that's there for install support.

I bought the Old Air system, first and it's shorter in length than the Restomod, but the width is bigger. I'm using the twin stick shifters for the transfer case and they hit the Old Air. Remember though, I have a 55.

In my opinion, the Restomod unit is just built better. The controls, vents, etc. all are of higher quality.

With yours being a right hand drive, might be problems mounting?

IMG_2428.JPG

Mounting the Vapir box might be the problem. I'll get in touch to see if they have a mockup unit available. Thanks for the pic...that looks great! What was the total cost of your system through Restomod? PM me if that's a better place for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom