got some radiator corrosion going on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
I dropped in a new battery and saw a drop of green coolant hanging about: for shame!

My reservoir has gone from full to empty over the course of ~6 months, and I've never seen a drop hit the ground or a puddle under the car. And I looked a lot because I had a leaking inner axle seal so I was used to watching for anything down there.

Anyway, I zoomed in the camera a bit and it looks like corrosion or maybe there's a seal in there that failed?

I had planned to flush and switch to Toyota red at some point. My questions:

a) Am I shopping for a new radiator soon?
b) I've got a 4x4 trip coming up next month, any objections? I bring spare water/coolant and I've got some of that leak-stop additive stuff but I'd rather not add stuff like that in unless it was rather dire.

This is front, driver's side, looking head-on at the vehicle. Far driver's side portion of upper radiator.

tCtC5o3.jpg

I would say the tank seal is dying. I would replace radiator.

I agree I would go ahead and replace. I just put a new OEM from Beno a few months ago.

I'm assuming that I should replace all the hoses too. On a 1 to 10 scale how much of a pain in the ass is this job?

Anything else I should knock out since I'll have it apart?

I'm assuming that I should replace all the hoses too. On a 1 to 10 scale how much of a pain in the ass is this job?

Anything else I should knock out since I'll have it apart?

It's a perfect time to do the Tundra alternator upgrade. Swap the oil pump cover screws to torx screws.

It'll be a whole lot easier to change the timing chain cover with the radiator out. While doing that you may as well pull the head and refresh the head gasket - perhaps with a cometic mlx. Maybe go ahead and have a machine shop go through the head. Upgrade all cooling lines with AN fittings for future ease of service. While head is off pull the block and replace the motor mounts. Also a good time to check the journals and bearings on the bottom end. Would also be prudent to replace your rings.

In fact while the block is out it makes perfect sense to tear down the transmission and swap out the clutch packs. Maybe order the HD kit from the automatic transmission folks in Oz. All that stuff out also makes it a whole lot easier to through some marlin gears in your transfer case.

When was the last time you serviced your brake system? How about power steering?

How does the under carriage look? Do you have access to a rotisserie? How about a media blaster? Paint booth?

Let me ponder on this and I'll come back and add to this list...:hmm:

The only hard time I had putting in new rad Was the 2 top bolts are tricky to get to rest Was straight forward so called banana of the one

What @mechanist said is right while the radiator is out is a perfect time to knock several things off the list. You can call Onur and order a new OEM radiator and just let him send you all the while your in there parts as well. The radiator is the most expensive part the other things are mainly just seals. I would go ahead and order new hoses at this time as well.

Not a bad job if you dont have rusted bolts that brake when u try to back them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom