Got Shorty, now what... (Dropping the Deuce) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
Update 12/19/16

Wanted to bring this a little more current as of today. Most of the original post is below the line, but here is a current picture and how it sits today:

0725161928_HDR-1.jpg

• Currently sitting on OME stock height coils with Ironman trim packers to net a little over 1.5"-2" of lift, FOX 2.0 fronts, ICON 2.0 Rears
  • Rolling on 265/75R16 Cooper STTs on 16" 4Runner wheels
  • Sporting an ARB with an XRC12 and a 22" LED bar, none of it is wired currently
And below is the short/long list of things that will be forthcoming for it:

• Getting a manual conversion with 3F bellhousing, H42/splitcase, flywheel, etc. All coming from @orangefj45 and @Valley Hybrids
  • Got full Terrain Tamer front axle kit from @beno
  • Gonna slap on some TT FZJ rotors and pads from Georg as well along with some new Calipers care of NAPA for round out the "big brake mod" for the early trucks.
  • Got a set of 8x hubs from Cruiser Outfitters to keep things moving freely up front.
  • New clutch, master and slave from Mr. Onur as well as any other misc items needed.
  • Will be swapping the stock height replacement coils with the heavies that came off the 91 and keep the spacers to get the front up a little higher. Then clean up and swap in the arms with OME yellow bushings on it to see where the caster ends up.
  • Rear will be adjusted to match for a levelish stance. I have an ironman adjustable rear panhard that I got a couple years ago that I will throw on there.
  • I still have to find an early DS flare to clean up and paint.
  • Have hood and fenders repainted and the other dings cleaned up.
  • I'm gonna wait and see how well I did with my withholdings from Uncle Sam this year and then hopefully see about getting some SCS Stealth 6 wheels in that Dark bronze flavor.
  • I'm really liking the Mickey Thompson MTZ, so will probably be doing a set of 315s on those SCS wheels.
  • Inside, new foam for the drivers seat, fix the broken window master switch trim, install a radio and some new door speakers.
  • Got all the stuff to do a full tune-up and I also have an EGR block-off plate to do a desmog on it.
  • Finish wiring the winch in the ARB and ditch the led bar for a pair of those big round ARB style led round lights.
=========================================================
Begin Original post

Well, as some of you may have seen, Erin sanctioned the purchase of another 80 on Friday. Drove up to Bowling Green and picked this one up from a fellow MUDder.

It is a 1992 bone stock. 156k miles on the ticker. Overall it is good shape. The trans was acting up when I test drove it, more on that later.

The good:

• It made it home (anyone who knows my history with vehicles knows that is a big deal)
  • New AC compressor, blows cold.
  • Most everything works as it should.
  • Paint and body are in good shape, except the hood, it's trashed.
  • Seats and interior are in good shape. The dash looks brand new, no cracks or splits.
  • New tires all around.
  • It rides and drives great. Having only ever been in and around lifted ones I was very surprised at how well it drives and handles in stock trim.

The Bad:
  • It has a grill guard... that will be remedied soon enough. Not worth selling as I think it has been tweaked.
  • Ran into or over something on the front passenger side (see pictures below)
  • Gaping hole in the dash. PO removed the radio, including the mounting brackets, but did leave what look like a nice set of Alpine's in the front doors.
  • The trans was acting up. Once out on the road, not so bad, but reverse and in town traffic, not so great. Not wanting to shift up and down thru the gears. More on that below.
  • Oil pressure guage doesn't work.
  • Door locks don't work, and yesterday morning I discovered that the key I have will not unlock the doors either.... that was almost bad, but I was able to pop one of the rear sliders and Erin climbed thru to unlock it to get us in.
  • No CATs, a minor thing for most, but for me bit more of an issue since I have to have one to get it tagged and titled....

Overall it is in just good enough shape that I hate to beat it up, but just enough little gremlins that I'm thinking I will be ok with it.

Pictures:

20150517_145407.jpg

20150517_145953.jpg

20150517_145921.jpg

20150517_145937.jpg

That's the good. Mobile theme will only let me attach 5 at a time so more will follow.

First thing I did was hit the dash with a rag and some armoral. I know some hate it, I have never had any issues and like shiny vinyl and plastic, so :p

Anyway, after that I got under the hood and checked the trans kick-down cable. It was WAY out of spec, so I adjusted about a 1/2" on it and then we took a ride down to the farm with a load of stuff. As it went along it seemed to get better. I still think I need to adjust it about 1-2mm and I think the trans issue will be whooped.

Gonna put a few more pics up and then get back to my cleaning and packing. :cool:

View attachment 1078202

Last edited:
More pictures

Awesome grill guard
20150517_145535.jpg

Front-end damage
20150517_145554.jpg

Dent in PS door
20150517_150013.jpg

Engine looks pretty tidy and un-molested
20150517_150119.jpg

20150517_150312.jpg

Underside looks pretty clean. Very little rust and muffler looks brand new

20150517_150348.jpg

20150517_150412.jpg

So there she is in all her grandness. Let the games begin :smokin:

Already looks like you need to add on to that new barn ha ha.

I've got you a fuel door.

Depending on the fate of the Franken80, I might have some parts that you could use....

4 in. Ironman springs (front), FF rear axle (with an Aussie locker), parts to make a 9.5 front axle, and LOTS OF SPARE PARTS

I've got you a fuel door.

Done!

Depending on the fate of the Franken80, I might have some parts that you could use....

4 in. Ironman springs (front), FF rear axle (with an Aussie locker), parts to make a 9.5 front axle, and LOTS OF SPARE PARTS

I think I could help out with finding some of those guys new homes if you end up parting him out.

I also think I am going to see about swapping the 265/75r16 cooper STTs on Tacoma wheels that are currently on my mini truck over for now. They will fill out the wheel wells a little better and are currently just rotting in the barn since the mini is in "storage"

I also sent an email to Cruisin' Off-road about one of their 8274 front bumpers for it. Mamma said it needs a bumper bad and my plan to just "get by" for now was trumped by the call for a "real" bumper. If any of you happen to have an old 8274 that needs rebuilding, that will be what finds a home out front eventually and after looking them up, I sure as he!! won't be buying a new one.... :eek: That's more than I paid for the truck to start with.

I am working on a deal for a nice lift for the project, and the further I go down the road, I believe this may turn into a tale of two cruisers. Bruce (the white one) already has the gears, the FF, the armor and the interior is a little rougher, so I am seriously thinking about just throwing on my 265/75s, doing the PM, and having the hood repainted and just driving the Deuce and planning to wheel Bruce.... Time will tell.

Yeah, I am pretty sure I have mild ADD, especially when it comes to projects. My mind seems to get ahead of my wallet and my available time.

I posted in the Blackbox thread but to be more clear for your purposes I would be seriously looking into the h41 transmission, it's not as street able as the h42 but the low 1st gear is certainly a good off-road upgrade. The 60 series version is physically identical on the exterior.

I put one in my FJ62 behind the 3FE and I love it, with stock tire size the first gear is useless on road but 33" and bigger I actually have to use it to start.

I think we need to get you some numbers for your vehicles like fleet trucks.

Half way thru the week and I am so slammed at work, but I want things to happen faster. So I am going to have to rework the first post more than likely since I think this is going to turn into more of a resto-mod instead of a full on build up.

i have a set of Ironman front coil spacers that I picked up for Bruce but never got around to installing them, so I ordered matching pair of Ironman rear spacers from metaltech yesterday. Going to plop those bad boys on, pull the flares and swap on my 265/75R16 Cooper STT's. The pizza cutters will go on the mini for now. Then see about ordering a set of Doestch 8000 shocks for it.

I am calling around to see about finding a shop to do the hood and fenders for me. If any of you guys know of a shop that isn't "all insurance" work, I'd appreciate it. Then pull the grill guard and see how bad the damage is to the front-end. I got a quote for the 8274 front bumper so I got to run that by the boss. Then put in a call to one of our beloved parts guys to get all my PM stuff headed this way.

Last edited:
Well my spacers won't be here til next week some time, so that isn't going to happen over the holiday, so the plan is going to be pretty simple.
  • 8 quarts of Rotella T and a WIX filter
  • swap on the 265's
  • deflare
  • damage multiplier removal
  • vacuum and clean the interior good
  • drain and refill both diffs and the t-case
Of course all that will be after a few hours on the Massey, and a couple hours behind the Stihl and Tanaka at the farm.

Last edited:
Before and after
20150517_145953.jpg

2015-05-24 21.28.50.jpg

Got the other front flare off and 86'd the damage multiplier (Free if anyone is looking). With it gone the jacked-up-id-Ness of the stock front bumper is much more noticable.

20150524_191752.jpg

The 265s gained about 2" at the fender. I wouldn't have guessed they would get that since the difference is barely noticable side-by-side...
20150524_190038.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more

20150524_172338.jpg

20150524_173120.jpg

20150524_172355.jpg

20150524_173135.jpg

I did find that the front PS drive flange is missing a nut, and both sides are showing signs of oil wicking out to the flanges. The brakes looked ok, but since I have the 16" wheels on now, I will probably swap the FZJ front rotors when I do the knuckles. I'm afraid the trans is gonna need a rebuild or a replacement soon, and since Erin likes the slush box for everyday driving I will probably try to find a good working A440F to swap inside. If that proves too difficult or if we get north of 2K on the price-tag, I will have to seriously consider doing a H55 swap.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try to do engine oil, diffs and t-case. Then try to figure out how to get the rear flares off.

Also, the front end looks bad, but from what I can tell it is all on the bumper. Don't see any damage to the frame or the frame mount. The body does have a little dent right behind the corner marker and below the turn signal is pretty bent up. The bumper will do for now, but gonna have to get something headed this way for the front as it looks kinda sad all bent up, and I literally just took my big slide hammer to the barn today... Oh well. I am still leaning towards a Cruisin off-road front bumper with no tube work, but leaning away from the 8274 version so I can leave it on the Deuce, should I decide that I want to go the 8274 route I will cross that bridge when the time comes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom