GM ignition module swap 3fe 89 fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So.......... started right , up idled fine , went bout 30 ft and just died . getting fuel , no spark , threw a new coil in cause it was cheap , close to work , so figured i'd try quick fix...nothing not even a fart......so i've pounded the threads and pretty much have a plan on checking the rest of the ignition system but ran across the GM swap...Question is will this work on the 3fe never really saw a specific thread claiming it would.or not....just looking to possibly get by in a pinch till the funds come available for the right one....Thanks

look at fj80 used ignitors. gunna need some of the harness to patch into your, or hit up the local cruiser recyclers in the classifieds and see what they have for you. I wouldn't mess with the gm module unless it was the last thing to do..

After further inspection and code 12 off the ecu i'm guessing my pickup coil / distributor is the culprit...removed the cap to find rusty condition along with a few unwanted "pieces" laying in the bottom......UGH!!!!!!!!
Land cruiser 006.JPG

whoa WTF is that?

whoa WTF is that?
Not really sure if it's bearing parts or pieces of the pickup coil....but they are metal as pulled them out with a magnet....inside of dizzy is pretty rusty and with the code kinda think it's the dizzy.....couple more final tests to cover bit so far pointing in this direction...have power to igniter and poz post of coil but still no spark outta the coil or plug wires....when i checked coil wire after i cleaned all this out ( this is only part was some more i just blew out with air nozzel) thought i saw a spark but nothing after initial crank....so lookin like it's fried????

could be ignitor, could be pick-up coil...could be wiring, too. I hear a 22re pick-up coil works in a 2F, not sure about the 3FE ...

could be ignitor, could be pick-up coil...could be wiring, too. I hear a 22re pick-up coil works in a 2F, not sure about the 3FE ...
Probably gonna pull the dizzy try and clean it all up and see if i can tell where the damage is from .... keep on chasing till i know for sure what the issue is before i through money at it.....big money on all associated parts so hoping to find actual culprit and know for sure.

So anyway as a follow up to the starting issue ( thinking it was the ignitor hence the module swap?)....turned out to be the pickup coil ( so far)...after cleaning out the debris from the distributor which i'm guessing was the bearing cage and other shrapnel from the top shaft bearing i noticed the pickup coil coating was in severe degraded condition , by deduction i guess the metal finally made it's way around the gear and wiped out the tab on the pickup coil ( flat piece in photo).....however after cleaning out all debris from the dizzy i put it back together and had spark from coil wire YAYYYYYY...........not quite...... so i hook back up the coil wire...nothing...so off comes the cap again.... and a bad situation just got worse....Massive birds nest of tiny copper wire which used to be the pickup coils.........so new dizzy after all....F&*^!!!!!

Always seems one thing fixed (or thought was fixed) and Newton then raises his ugly mug:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom