Get this-New Purchase Goes Sour (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this point I’d be all sugar and spice until you get everything straightened out to your satisfaction then hire an attorney and have them deal with them from a legal standpoint. $$$

It would be a great help to share the name of this dealer at some point so others can steer clear

I think anything that could be interpreted as public negative for the dealer is best avoided at this time. Negates one of the negotiating points (slander/libel), doesn't it?

Ask for an extended maintenance package from Toyota. Or a refunded discount on your warranty.

1. title issue corrected immediately
2. Reimbursement for loss of use from date it arrived until DMV issue resolved.
3. Any and all retaliatory posts deleted/removed
4. Written acknowledgement of their error, along with guarantee that the employee will not retaliate, as it was their enticement of you to participate in a survey that resulted in the libel

I wouldn’t go beyond that if I were in your shoes. They will balk at #3/#4 but it’s within their power to correct and they have then eliminated any real risk of monetary damages, and you are as close to back to normal as you can be. I despise the internet in my line of work because a negative review turns away the business you never learn about, whether it’ big or small.

If it turns out they cannot resolve the negative review, it’s scorched earth time. Stories like that to local news, to the GM/facebook, Toyota corporate (their Facebook, etc), that gets folks scrambling.

Update:
Negative posts removed
Sales Mgr and GM now my points of contact
Apparently title on the way in mail since Thursday

Hopefully the LC will be on the road by the end of next week and they asked me to get back to them with how ‘I’d feel good about the deal’ after what happened

I think I can speak for us all when I say that a photo or two of your new rig would be appropriate at this point in the conversation! 📸

$74,459 sounds like a pretty great price. Sorry to hear about all the hassle and unprofessional behaivor though.

Hopefully the negative aspects of this experience will be in your rear-view mirror soon, and you can take some solace in having scored a good deal on a great truck.

When I worked for a Lexus dealership, it was a common practice to collect out of state taxes and registration if the customer was financing the vehicle. Someone could easily say that they'll simply pay the taxes and registration once they've returned to their home state, but don't end up doing so.

FWIW, it too my parents 2.5 months to receive their registration sticker during these times. I suppose things are still quite behind in Texas.

When I worked for a Lexus dealership, it was a common practice to collect out of state taxes and registration if the customer was financing the vehicle. Someone could easily say that they'll simply pay the taxes and registration once they've returned to their home state, but don't end up doing so.

FWIW, it too my parents 2.5 months to receive their registration sticker during these times. I suppose things are still quite behind in Texas.

You can't register the vehicle until you pay the taxes and registration, and the DMV in your state will collect it. So unless you are stealing a license plate to drive it, that is an unlikely scenario.

I'm really surprised your purchase went so far south from a Toyota dealership. It does sound like the GM got word of it and did their best to correct the situation. Curious if the salesman still has a job? Dealerships know how to deal with out of state transactions. They usually have at least one person that specializes with out of state. Not defending any of the slander against your business. Covid really messed up our DMV here in NY. Nothing is getting done. My buddy had his license temporarily suspended because his insurance got cancelled for non payment. <he got a new CC number on the same day as his insurance payment was due, just bad luck> It should have been a quick phone call and appt. with the DMV. His license has been suspended for 4 months and he can't get an answer from the state. "Due to Covid...." is the only response he gets. Oh and his insurance more than doubled for having a suspended license for the next 5 years!

Sounds like your headache is about to clear up. Have my own strange story from buying out of state. Going forward if I buy a vehicle out of state I will just assume issues will come up.

You can't register the vehicle until you pay the taxes and registration, and the DMV in your state will collect it. So unless you are stealing a license plate to drive it, that is an unlikely scenario.

While unlikely, it was still a possibility - mostly concerning vehicle exporters.

It was simply easier to collect that amount and send it to the customer's local tax office so they could easily swing by and pick up their plates, not to mention, most wanted to roll taxes/fees into their loan.

wow ... this story is almost unbelievable. I hope you get it all squared away and get to enjoy the new ride sooner rather than later. Dealerships are very sensitive about CSI scores so you can be sure that bad survey will haunt them for a while. I believe the salesperson's commission structure and dealer incentive package are affected somehow, and not in a good way. Serves them right for being so inconsiderate to someone who made a very substantial purchase.

This is a bummer, and while its true that the Customer Survey is very damaging to them, maybe this will prevent them from doing stuff like this in the future.

I am really confused about the whole situation. We have purchased several vehicles from out of state dealers and payed cash, and have never had them collect taxes and registration. They always just send the completed invoice and the certificate of origin so that it can be registered.

It sounds like the salesperson and sales manager had no clue what they were doing in the first place.

This is a bummer, and while its true that the Customer Survey is very damaging to them, maybe this will prevent them from doing stuff like this in the future.

I am really confused about the whole situation. We have purchased several vehicles from out of state dealers and payed cash, and have never had them collect taxes and registration. They always just send the completed invoice and the certificate of origin so that it can be registered.

It sounds like the salesperson and sales manager had no clue what they were doing in the first place.

Cash is the key there and in my situations as well. I think because he agreed to have them finance it through them, they require taxes get paid. Just my guess

Cash is the key there and in my situations as well. I think because he agreed to have them finance it through them, they require taxes get paid. Just my guess

Ahhh. I missed that part. I thought this was a self-financed deal. That definitely changes things, but you'd still think a transaction like this would be trivial.

When you say:
“They always just send the completed invoice and the certificate of origin so that it can be registered.”

Do you mean they send the completed invoice and certificate of origin to you? Or the state DMV of purchase? Or who?

If they send it to the state of purchase DMV first, does that DMV then send you the title so you can register it in your home state DMV?

Well, my experience is that the dealer provides the buyer with the certificate of origin. The buyer then provides this to the DMV in the state that they want to title and register the vehicle.

This would apply to a self-finance deal.

Ah ok. Cos they told me, as did their state DMV, that because the financing went through them, that they have to send the invoice, request for title, and certificate of origin to the STATE OF PURCHASE DMV.

So I am waiting on that state now to send me the title in my home state, so I can then register the vehicle and get plates and pay the sales tax in my HOME STATE DMV

All of this hassle and double dealing with DMVs because these fckn morons told me that ‘financing with them would make things so much smoother and easier’
I had my own financing organized, my score was 820+, but these idiots told me do it with them so I did to avoid this extra hassle, but I’ve learned if I actually financed it myself in my home state they would have given me the certificate of origin on the day of sale and id have that to go straight to my home state DMV instead of waiting on the morons in the dealership to finally send the DMV the paperwork to their DMV which took a week of constant asking, and now I’m at ends waiting on the paperwork from that DMV and I’ll still have to go to my own home state dmv

all this because these bastards wanted the commission of the financing I’m sure of that

Ah ok. Cos they told me, as did their state DMV, that because the financing went through them, that they have to send the invoice, request for title, and certificate of origin to the STATE OF PURCHASE DMV.

So I am waiting on that state now to send me the title in my home state, so I can then register the vehicle and get plates and pay the sales tax in my HOME STATE DMV

All of this hassle and double dealing with DMVs because these fckn morons told me that ‘financing with them would make things so much smoother and easier’
I had my own financing organized, my score was 820+, but these idiots told me do it with them so I did to avoid this extra hassle, but I’ve learned if I actually financed it myself in my home state they would have given me the certificate of origin on the day of sale and id have that to go straight to my home state DMV instead of waiting on the morons in the dealership to finally send the DMV the paperwork to their DMV which took a week of constant asking, and now I’m at ends waiting on the paperwork from that DMV and I’ll still have to go to my own home state dmv

all this because these bastards wanted the commission of the financing I’m sure of that
I would switch to your own financing at this point anyway. It won't help you with this issue, but will ensure that they make little or nothing off of the financing.

Yeah, even with them financing, it should not have been that complicated. Most dealerships do several of these deals a week.

You are completely justified in your frustration. At this point, get through it the best you can and try not to let it ruin your enjoyment of the 200. It will all be worth it in the end.

Hopefully the end will be sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom