Gecko gets some mods

jynx

Turd Herder

I didn't even notice that, that is an excellent mod. My guess is that at the very least the steering arm is tapped for the plate to bolt onto.

Look forward to some trail abuse reports.

How did you get that top plate fabricated knowing the tight tolerances? Are the bolts just tapped into the high steer arm?
The "stud" holes took a lot of trial and error on a water jet and still need to get tweaked one more time for a perfect fit. And yes, the two bolts holding the cap on are tapped into the arm. The FROR arms are already tapped there for use of "press off" bolts to aid in removal of the arms. Those two bolts double for that purpose as well. Stock arms will need to be drilled and tapped but the holes do not have to be tight tolerance nor very deep, so not a difficult job since the plate is a perfect template.

TeddyBoy

Knighted by the King of MUD himself

2 thumbs up on the top plate. While the studs are still in trials I 'd bet the most profitable thing you've designed would be the top plate. It's easy and cheap to produce, addresses an issue that all Toyota offroaders have and is relatively easy to implement. That's a recipe for a good product to put to market if you ever chose to.

You better patent that before trail gear sees it! :lol:
I know, right! I've been trying to keep it under wraps as best as possible for exactly that reason. Actually been talking off and on with Front Range Off Road about going in with them on it... that way it will at least have a company backing it if it gets copied.

Time for another update on Gecko mods.
I've not had her out much since I got the buggy, but still have most of my original plans in place, with one major exception. I have always planned to stay "all Toyota" but a buddy offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on some high-end components, so it looks like the Gecko will no longer have Toyota axles once I get around to my link swap.

New build plan:
4-link front, full hydro w/50 degrees of steering, Spidertrax w/Hi9 and Detroit, aluminum links, 16" ORI's, Wilwood brakes.
4-link rear, Spidertrax w/Hi9 and ARB, aluminum links, 18" ORI's, Wilwood brakes and cutting brakes.
Tires will stay as the 40" sticky Treps for now but I have a feeling that my 40" Milestar Patagonia stickies may end up on the Gecko eventually.
Driveline plans are the same. 22RE > W59 > chain case w/twin sticks > divorced duals w/2.28 & 4.7 > Yota driveshafts.

Unless front axle is moved out to geeky proportions, up travel might be limited and you'll probably won't come close to using the range of the 16" ORI's.

4-Link front will be a more challenging install than a 3 link, but the 4link/full hydro setup without having a track bar will be so much nicer.

Hi9's, I'm jealous! Can't wait to see these axles!! You will be the new mini truck king.

Top Bottom