Gecko gets some mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't even notice that, that is an excellent mod. My guess is that at the very least the steering arm is tapped for the plate to bolt onto.

Look forward to some trail abuse reports.

How did you get that top plate fabricated knowing the tight tolerances? Are the bolts just tapped into the high steer arm?
The "stud" holes took a lot of trial and error on a water jet and still need to get tweaked one more time for a perfect fit. And yes, the two bolts holding the cap on are tapped into the arm. The FROR arms are already tapped there for use of "press off" bolts to aid in removal of the arms. Those two bolts double for that purpose as well. Stock arms will need to be drilled and tapped but the holes do not have to be tight tolerance nor very deep, so not a difficult job since the plate is a perfect template.

2 thumbs up on the top plate. While the studs are still in trials I 'd bet the most profitable thing you've designed would be the top plate. It's easy and cheap to produce, addresses an issue that all Toyota offroaders have and is relatively easy to implement. That's a recipe for a good product to put to market if you ever chose to.

You better patent that before trail gear sees it! :lol:

You better patent that before trail gear sees it! :lol:
I know, right! I've been trying to keep it under wraps as best as possible for exactly that reason. Actually been talking off and on with Front Range Off Road about going in with them on it... that way it will at least have a company backing it if it gets copied.

Time for another update on Gecko mods.
I've not had her out much since I got the buggy, but still have most of my original plans in place, with one major exception. I have always planned to stay "all Toyota" but a buddy offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on some high-end components, so it looks like the Gecko will no longer have Toyota axles once I get around to my link swap.

New build plan:
4-link front, full hydro w/50 degrees of steering, Spidertrax w/Hi9 and Detroit, aluminum links, 16" ORI's, Wilwood brakes.
4-link rear, Spidertrax w/Hi9 and ARB, aluminum links, 18" ORI's, Wilwood brakes and cutting brakes.
Tires will stay as the 40" sticky Treps for now but I have a feeling that my 40" Milestar Patagonia stickies may end up on the Gecko eventually.
Driveline plans are the same. 22RE > W59 > chain case w/twin sticks > divorced duals w/2.28 & 4.7 > Yota driveshafts.

Unless front axle is moved out to geeky proportions, up travel might be limited and you'll probably won't come close to using the range of the 16" ORI's.

4-Link front will be a more challenging install than a 3 link, but the 4link/full hydro setup without having a track bar will be so much nicer.

Hi9's, I'm jealous! Can't wait to see these axles!! You will be the new mini truck king.

TrueHi 9's ??

Why ARB in rear versus front? Pics of axles - supremely jealous.

Haven't been on in a while, but time for another update since I'll be moving back to Atlanta soon.

No progress on the Gecko's build, but some of the parts and plans have changed again.
Sold the used front Spider9 and replaced it with a brand new Spider9.
Sold the two True Hi9's w/Detroits & 5.14's and replaced them with a pair of GW Hi10's with ARB's & 6.20's (& picked up a pair of spooled LP 6.20 spare diffs).
Got rid of the Patagonias and replaced with 42" TSL SX2's.
Sold the ORI's to someone in need and replaced them with brand new ones. Three of the four were still new, just had been sitting around a while. One had a few runs on it from loaning it to a buddy while his was getting rebuilt. Now I have four that are very recently built and still sealed in the box.

Been looking for a 4-door Tacoma with major rear end damage that I could use for this build instead of the Gecko, but haven't found anything yet. I'd really like to have more interior space, more power (for the street mainly), heat and AC. As an alternative to that, I'm thinking of having a 2.0 VW TDi built to put in the Gecko in place of the 22RE. As I've said before, I hate making it less Toyota, but at least it's not "LS, D60, 14b" cookie cutter upgrades.

Do any of the buggy crew still go to GSMTR? What other events are coming up after May?

There’s wasn’t much hardcore at Gsmtr this year besides the ONSC hardcore wagon group.
I inquired to Bill @Sputnik40 to see if I could rent his 40 for this year :grinpimp:

I brought the Warpig a year ago. But fuel pump and cooling issues sidelined me. We took the 570 last year and did bunny trails. I hope to get his issues addressed so I can run him this year.

There’s wasn’t much hardcore at Gsmtr this year besides the ONSC hardcore wagon group.
I inquired to Bill @Sputnik40 to see if I could rent his 40 for this year :grinpimp:

Another shot at shoulder surgery scheduled for 3/15. Might be healed in time to make GSMTR, but problem is I've not been able to finish the R&R my 40 needs to truly be ready....been a rough year on the body.

I'll likely start making it to events later year or mid 2024 once I've semi retired. Can keep up with the Gecko but still not really a buggy, and once I get my shoulder sorted would really like to do an LS swap.

Heat and space is over rated :flipoff2:
Do any of the buggy crew still go to GSMTR? What other events are coming up after May?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom