Gearbox /Transfer case part numbers for HJ75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

beanz2 said:
BBD, does it appear that the 1HZ and the 2H input shafts interchange completely? I need to hear that ... ;)

Dave
Cheers Dave, I actually discussed this at length with Des from Townsville gearbox Reconditioning.He specializes in gearboxes, car ,truck,4WD etc with some 35+ years in the gearbox business.. He advised that the 1HZ AND 2H shafts are not interchangeable as the gear teeth are cut at slightly different angles and will destroy each other and other parts under load. The different cut is not obvious to the eye and does not show in a photograph.However the shaft does fit in the box and it does feel correct when turned by hand when fitted.He said everything feels ok and you would not be aware of the difference until its under load in the vehicle. He said a few years ago there was an imput shaft that was available that was actually interchangeable but it is no longer available.He said from memory it was available not long after the boxes were changed. He said he wished he could get them now as so many people come and ask about the conversion.The alternative would be to change the input shaft and the lay shaft as well but I would expect then the driven gears would need to be changed.I did not inquire into this scenario as I wanted to find out if I put all new parts in my box could I change the shafts if I swapped motors at a later date . So I decided to go turbo instead.

Tapage said:
left 2H and right 1HZ . ?
cheers Tapage, Sorry , I should have been a bit more thoughtful when I posted that its quite confusing.
The 2H shaft is the shorter coarse splined shaft, the 1HZ is actually longer and has the fine spline.
I will dig up some pics of the bell housing differences and post them as when I had my box out a friend had his HZJ here and changed his clutch.:cheers:

rainforrest447.jpg

rainforrest445.jpg

rainforrest446.jpg

rainforrest443.jpg

These pictures show the different size and length s of the 1HZ and 2H bellhousings. The 1HZ is longer because the input shaft for the gearbox is longer also somewhat larger.:cheers:

If I plan to put 1HZ or 1HD-T engine ahead of my H55F and I keep my H55F ( shorter ) input shaft . and my shorter bellhousing ( H55F bell housing )

The 2H bell housing will not fit on a 1Hz engine it is a mirror reverse [ clutch and starter are on opposite sides] and it is also shorter and smaller. You would need to use a bell housing from a 1hz engine. Some blokes here have used the Ihz housing and the 1HZ flywheel and left the spigot bearing hanging out to take the coarse 2H shaft through a 2H clutch plate and a 1HZ pressure plate. Surely a wider bearing could be found,the standard sized spigot bearing 6202-2RS & RSH are even used in ceiling fans in Oz. I have heard of them getting the bell housing and the back of the motor machined to take the short shaft this seems very drastic. And cause problems later if another box was fitted. I believe it would be best to buy an early 1HZ gearbox with the motor and I think you could then fit your transfer case with the mark's gears. Consideration would also need to be given to changing the clutch, electrical, fuel and radiator as all this is on a different side. The easiest swap would be to swap in a 12HT motor as this was originally put in the 60 series by Toyota. All the Engine builders in my area insist this is the best diesel engine ever built by Toyota. The Turbo on a 12Ht is only set at 5.5 to 7.3 lb at 4,050rpm to 4,200 rpm. So there is a lot there for development with a better turbo and intercooler. Also with a better bottom end and head than the later model motors.

Here we haven't much 12H-T less oportunities to have one .. but who knows, maybe I'm a lucky man ..

Also I always thought in turbo charging my 2H

Tapage said:
Here we haven't much 12H-T less oportunities to have one .. but who knows, maybe I'm a lucky man ..

Also I always thought in turbo charging my 2H
They are few and far between here also.LOL. Most of the engine sellers want $7,500.00 + for one. Most of the time it is cheaper to buy an old wagon with one in it for a lot less. Perhaps a reflection of the motor being scarce and valued by the 4WD boys and the truck and bus people who want to re power with more HP and good reliability.They are far more expensive to buy than a 1HZ and most are still dearer than a 1HDT but then they were an expensive motor to manufacture in their day.
Re your thoughts on turbo charging the 2H... I seriously doubt that you would be disappointed. I have fitted my T3 and a 3 inch system and it is far better than what I expected. I am looking forward to comparing it with one with a different turbo. The old T3 has a 3 inch inlet and is running freely up to 10 lb it will spike higher but I do not want any melted pistons or head,LOL. Feels good to blow off the later models at the lights then let them pass and look to see what type of grille is in the old POS as they thought they had it sussed from the snorkel.:grinpimp: this link is on engines for sale , 36 pages.

http://www.autotrader.com.au/Ad1FormatSearchResult.asp
This is for wrecks and damaged vehicles...
http://www.autotrader.com.au/Ad1FormatSearchResult.asp
:cheers:

In my case and thought my cheap way, turbo for my 2H. right now I raise easy ( very easy ) my EGT to 1250ºF I have a lots of diesel in my chambers. So a turbo for my 2H comes great with more aire to burn my fuel.

rainforrest847.jpg

Today I went to Stewart's 4Wd in Townsville to take a picture of the HZJ75 shaft for comparison to my HJ75 shaft as the picture I had on file did not show the shaft ends. The proprietor Rod assures me that these shafts are interchangeable and I had been given the wrong information previously from another person. He has done this conversion successfully numerous times and further said all the cluster gears from 10/85 to 7/99 are all exactly the same. Other parts needed of course is the clutch kit and the HZJ bellhousing.He also adapts the 5 speed cluster shaft to the 47 fourspeed boxes by cutting the rear of the box and machining parts.Far too complicated for me to remember and explain.Hope this may be of help to some of you guys out there. cheers gazza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom