GCC Spec 80s with H4 Button…what does it do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m shopping around for an 80 while I’m stationed in Bahrain. Every one I’ve looked at so far (2x automatic, 1x manual) has an H4 button in where the CDL switch is normally located. I’ve asked for help in the Importing forum, but no help there. Hoping some of you GCC residents here can help me out.
What does that H4 button do? Are the GCC 80s not full-time 4WD, like the 60s? All three trucks I’ve seen, the H4 button doesn’t indicate anything at all on the instrument cluster, and I haven’t crawled under in the dirty street/sand parking lots during rainy season to grab the front driveshaft.
GCC residents, is there anything I need to keep an eye out for while I’m on the hunt?

I’m shopping around for an 80 while I’m stationed in Bahrain. Every one I’ve looked at so far (2x automatic, 1x manual) has an H4 button in where the CDL switch is normally located. I’ve asked for help in the Importing forum, but no help there. Hoping some of you GCC residents here can help me out.
What does that H4 button do? Are the GCC 80s not full-time 4WD, like the 60s? All three trucks I’ve seen, the H4 button doesn’t indicate anything at all on the instrument cluster, and I haven’t crawled under in the dirty street/sand parking lots during rainy season to grab the front driveshaft.
GCC residents, is there anything I need to keep an eye out for while I’m on the hunt?
I'm curious too. My guess is that they don't have a VC so they are not "full time 4WD" pushing the button is to lock the center diff (really a transfer case), so then it's in 4 High. If that's the case, I wonder if they are possibly more fuel efficient - couldn't be worse! :bang:

I'm curious too. My guess is that they don't have a VC so they are not "full time 4WD" pushing the button is to lock the center diff (really a transfer case), so then it's in 4 High. If that's the case, I wonder if they are possibly more fuel efficient - couldn't be worse! :bang:
I definitely feel the fuel guzzling pain!!!

But the VC had nothing to do with "full time 4WD" other than make it more like the TC is locked when slippery surfaces are experienced. IMHO the VC was a bad idea for folks that drive off road consistantly. And since the CDL switch was not installed by the factory on VC equipped rigs, at least here in the US, I have to wonder what Mr. T was thinking. I kinda think the same guy(s) that setup the axle locker ECU and it's priorities were involved. No disrespect to the idea of axle lockers, it's just I want control of them - not some microchip. That's why I went with Harrops, instead of retrofitting Toyota locker axles for my OEM open 3rd members.

After more thought on your question about the H4 button. I'm wondering if it's just a different label on what we all call the CDL switch. I'm thinking it does the same thing as the CDL switch on non US spec'd 80's. On the rigs you looked at, did they have locking hubs and the TC shifter? If H4 stands for 4 High, it stands to reason there must be a 4 Lo. Be interesting to find out the answer.

I think it probably has a part time transfer case.
Does it have free wheeling / locking hubs on the front?
I think some models had auto locking front hubs, hitting H4 shifts the tcase to 4wd, and locks hubs.
Use the short stick to select 4Low?
I’m thinking the same. What’s confusing is I don’t see any indication in the instrument cluster that it’s shifting. I couldn’t be 0 for 3 on trucks with bad vacuum solenoids, could I?
The short stick is there in the same place as the US 80s. The options listed on the short stick are H-N-L4 — note it doesn’t say H4, just H.
The 2 auto trans trucks I’ve looked at didn’t have manual hubs. The standard trans did, as you’d expect. But it also had the H4 button.

Edited to correct grammar

After more thought on your question about the H4 button. I'm wondering if it's just a different label on what we all call the CDL switch. I'm thinking it does the same thing as the CDL switch on non US spec'd 80's. On the rigs you looked at, did they have locking hubs and the TC shifter? If H4 stands for 4 High, it stands to reason there must be a 4 Lo. Be interesting to find out the answer.
Yeah there’s a regular T-case shifter with a 4 Lo option. The manual trans truck had manual hubs, but the autos didn’t.

I'm wondering if it's just a different label on what we all call the CDL switch. I'm thinking it does the same thing as the CDL switch on non US spec'd 80's.

That's my bet too, but I'm interested to hear a definitive answer. The 4H nomenclature (instead of CDL) would make sense as locking the center differential activates 4H from all wheel drive--two names for the same function.

But it's notable that the transfer case shift knobs reportedly list H-N-4L instead of H-N-L, as seen on US spec 80s.

That's my bet too, but I'm interested to hear a definitive answer. The 4H nomenclature (instead of CDL) would make sense as locking the center differential activates 4H from all wheel drive--two names for the same function.

But it's notable that the transfer case shift knobs reportedly list H-N-4L instead of H-N-L, as seen on US spec 80s.

Actually, traditionally it's not.
4H was the term for a part time equipped cruisers when shifted to 4wd. This gives you a locked transfer (no centre diff) and equal drive to front and rear sides

CDL is used in an AWD full time transfer and locks the differential. Outcome is the same at that point, but the mechanics are different.

Some 60series had auto hubs with a 4H button on the dash. Some had manual hubs and the 4H button. I wasn't aware it was used in 80series. I don't think it was in any Australian model.

4H button engaged the hubs and 4wd in high range on the fly.
If you shift the transfer to 4Lo, it engages 4wd and hubs also

I’m thinking the same. What’s confusing is I don’t see any indication in the instrument cluster that it’s shifting. I couldn’t be 0 for 3 on trucks with bad vacuum solenoids, could I?
The short stick is there in the same place as the US 80s. The options listed on the short stick are H-N-L4 — note it doesn’t say H4, just H.
The 2 auto trans trucks I’ve looked at didn’t have manual hubs. The standard trans did, as you’d expect. But it also had the H4 button.

Edited to correct grammar
Locking hubs are very seldom seen in Saudi, just FYI. My 1983 FJ45 Troopy and my FZJ75 pickup are both manual trans and neither one has manual locking hubs. I don't think I've ever seen manual locking hubs on an 80 either, manual or automatic.

Just looked at the parts diagram for a GCC 1997 FZJ80. It appears the H4 button is original, FWIW. I assume it puts the vehicle in 4WD (4 high) at the transfer case?

So there are no locking/free wheel hubs on the front axle??

So there are no locking/free wheel hubs on the front axle??
Most don't in the middle east. Here, for example, is a typical manual transmission 1997 80 series with no manual locking hubs.

I just imported two 1996 FZJ80's from Bahrain in July, 2021. They just arrived to Freeport, TX this week. The shipping delays are real. I'm picking my rigs up this week. One is triple locked the other has the 4H button.

I just imported two 1996 FZJ80's from Bahrain in July, 2021. They just arrived to Freeport, TX this week. The shipping delays are real. I'm picking my rigs up this week. One is triple locked the other has the 4H button.
Please provide info when you can figure out what the H4 button is all about. Still confused. Especially since all three I’ve looked at have no dash indication.

Will do. I believe one of the rigs has the original owner's manual. I as well was interested in this button. I know I hit it a few times driving my rig around Bahrain but couldnt tell it did anything. Your shipping agent will want a letter from Toyota about the rig youre buying verifying engine type. was a bit of a PITA in Bahrain. The PPSO office on NAS Bahrain will ship yours free if this is a PCS move. I was reservist so had to pay out of pocket to ship the trucks. I had to take both my rigs to the Toyota Plaza in Manama and pay for some service for them to do it.

I already own a 1994 here which is triple locked. Good to be back from deployment hope yours is going well. I had my 94 shipped to Norfolk from Texas when I got back and went off roading in Virginia before driving it back to Texas. Cheers!

Will do. I believe one of the rigs has the original owner's manual. I as well was interested in this button. I know I hit it a few times driving my rig around Bahrain but couldnt tell it did anything. Your shipping agent will want a letter from Toyota about the rig youre buying verifying engine type. was a bit of a PITA in Bahrain. The PPSO office on NAS Bahrain will ship yours free if this is a PCS move. I was reservist so had to pay out of pocket to ship the trucks. I had to take both my rigs to the Toyota Plaza in Manama and pay for some service for them to do it.

I already own a 1994 here which is triple locked. Good to be back from deployment hope yours is going well. I had my 94 shipped to Norfolk from Texas when I got back and went off roading in Virginia before driving it back to Texas. Cheers!
Yeah mine will be a PCS move. I’d be interested for any details or lessons learned you have for the shipping process.
Did you find your trucks on OLX or do you have contacts with people here local? I‘ve quickly learned that online listings are far from the most comprehensive source of used cars here in Bahrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom