Gauging Interest in Storage drawers (1 Viewer)

Would you be Interested?

• Yes, I would be interested.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No, I would not be interested.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am writing this thread today to try and get a feel for an early stage product that I am currently developing. The idea of this project would be pre-fabricated overland style cargo drawers, and in an effort to save the consumer money it would come disassembled and the assembly would be done by the consumer (think Ikea furniture). The kit its self would be basic but efficient.

So please leave your thoughts and comments below so I can gauge interest in this product.

Also be sure to subscribe to the thread too, because I will post more to it as I develop more, I know everyone loves the pics.

Cheers, JB

There was a guy that used to sell wood kits such as you describe way back in the day. I can't remember his name or company though but I am certain it went south for some reason or another. I would love some cargo drawers, the problem being is they all cost stupid money (in my opinion) for a place to put your junk.

Building them yourself can save substantially...

Drawers3.jpg

Only thing needed are simple woodworking tools and skills. I used slides, which were a little dear, but you can use plastic slides and save a bunch there.

A DIY knock-down kit would make it even easier. I'm obviously good in this dept, so won't take the poll and unfairly skew the results. Good luck with your project, sounds like it could draw some interest if priced right.

There was a guy that used to sell wood kits such as you describe way back in the day. I can't remember his name or company though but I am certain it went south for some reason or another. I would love some cargo drawers, the problem being is they all cost stupid money (in my opinion) for a place to put your junk.

My goal is to
Building them yourself can save substantially...

View attachment 1298942
Only thing needed are simple woodworking tools and skills. I used slides, which were a little dear, but you can use plastic slides and save a bunch there.

A DIY knock-down kit would make it even easier. I'm obviously good in this dept, so won't take the poll and unfairly skew the results. Good luck with your project, sounds like it could draw some interest if priced right.
Thanks for the response and that is quite a slick kit you have there. The goal is to keep overall production cost low by doing generic designs cut with CNC so the savings could be transferred to the customer. Hopefully have some pics in the next couple weeks.

There seems to be a market for this. FYI, there is another guy in the 100 series section doing the same idea. You both seem to be in the development stage.

There seems to be a market for this. FYI, there is another guy in the 100 series section doing the same idea. You both seem to be in the development stage.
Thanks for the heads up. I hope to have a production advantage because I'm partnering with a pre existing cabinet shop.

Feel free to use any ideas. Main build thread for mine is here: Camper Conversion & Drawer System

I threw the picture in to note that a fridge slide option is another way to save some money. Those things are expensive. Someone did a really nice one that included another skinny drawer underneath the fridge drawer. I could use such extra space and have been thinking about building and installing the second drawer. Might decide to do that after I finish painting the wife's rental:clap: However, I kind of like the "well" provided there to stretch the legs and stash coats and stuff when stuck inside in case of bad weather. So still haven't committed to the idea. So there's at least two options on that.

Also, if you can do a design that allows for traditional metal drawer slides, an option to install plastic (UHDP? or something that like that) would be more economical.

Also consider the finish. I just polyed the heck out of mine, but I've always disliked it's slickness except when actually occupying in. We throw a throw rug back there to limit sliding around of stuff. Some sort of thin, rugged padding that won't give you rug burns moving around in there would be nice, just haven't tracked down options. It could come pre-cut or also be offered as cut-yourself, which could let you offer to folks like me who are already built, but looking for that.

Last edited:
Interested. I started looking into this last year, as I need a drawer system, but wanted something that could be knocked down easily for removal and storage when not required. Biggest problem I started to realize was a weight vs cost ratio. Going simple was heavy, upwards of 140 lbs, including sliders. Making it lighter, was much more complicated and time consuming to make, and in the end I think overall weight saving were "only" 40 lbs. looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom