Gauging interest in SCS F-5 Wheels in new 17x9 size (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a Treadwright debate. I think you can find catastrophic failure pics from any tire brand if you search the interwebs.

We need more 17" F5 pics!

How do you like the Treadwrights so far? I keep coming back to them since I have a 5% off coupon and they're so dang inexpensive for a 35.

Sorry late reply. I haven't driven it a whole lot since putting them on so I can't give you an informed opinion. My buddy is on his second set of 33" guard dogs on his DD Tacoma and has had 0 issues fwiw.

I've got to get an AC leak fixed and rebuild my steering box before I can venture up north to test them out. Weathers so damn hot right now that I don't have any motivation to wrench on it.

Does anyone have a pic with the dark bronze F5's on a Sage 40th? I looked for a while but couldn't find anything. In my mind they would look pretty damn sharp but not sure.

SCS F5's 17x9 in matte gunmetal.

First off, I gotta say that I'm glad to support SCS and Vin. Wheels were to my door in 2 days after I ordered them! And I couldn't be more pleased with the way they look on my truck. Just gotta get around to painting the hubs now.

P9250024.jpg

P9250026.jpg

I like the simplicity of them. Easy clean-up.

Here they are. I'm kind of wondering if I got the wrong colour. I ordered the matte gunmetal grey, but they look kind of bronze.
Now I can't tell, I don't care. What colour is this? Its an iphone6 camera. But it looks funny to me. I am so glad to get these awful pro comp wheels off this truck. Of course, they go into the BJ74, but its not a pretty truck.

View attachment 1358761 View attachment 1358762

Well.......the SAD news. I run the Toyo 285/75R17 tires on my wheels. With the OME suspension, I have loaded my
60 series truck for Yukon, RTT, fridge, tools, spare tire, 3 x 20L diesel cans on the back, etc.
Old Pro Comp wheels I measured and measured and was confident the 4" BS was good with 17X9 so how could
3.5" BS be worse ---- well, the front outer corner rubbed so bad it scared me! And the rears got cut by the
inner outer wheel well lip under full load while wheeling on a back road, I mean long angel hair pasta kinda cuts.
So after the truck got home the wheels came off of the 60.
And onto the BJ74 which I've almost finished - needs paint. But the full on 34" tire on the 17X9 with 3.5" BS did NOT fit
my 60 wagon. And no, I'm not SOA my 60 cause it's a long hauler, not a bush truck. But here is a pic of my BJ74 just waiting for money for paint. It's cool, and the wheels set it off just as well.

IMG_3738.JPG

These wheels are soooooooo good. Gotta keep working on fender trimming in the rear to achieve the full stuff.

Are you running any wheel spacers in addition to the 3.5" backspacing?

Well.......the SAD news. I run the Toyo 285/75R17 tires on my wheels. With the OME suspension, I have loaded my
60 series truck for Yukon, RTT, fridge, tools, spare tire, 3 x 20L diesel cans on the back, etc.
Old Pro Comp wheels I measured and measured and was confident the 4" BS was good with 17X9 so how could
3.5" BS be worse ---- well, the front outer corner rubbed so bad it scared me! And the rears got cut by the
inner outer wheel well lip under full load while wheeling on a back road, I mean long angel hair pasta kinda cuts.
So after the truck got home the wheels came off of the 60.
And onto the BJ74 which I've almost finished - needs paint. But the full on 34" tire on the 17X9 with 3.5" BS did NOT fit
my 60 wagon. And no, I'm not SOA my 60 cause it's a long hauler, not a bush truck. But here is a pic of my BJ74 just waiting for money for paint. It's cool, and the wheels set it off just as well.

View attachment 1544562

Why are you surprised that a wheel with more less backspacing rubs your body more? You're no longer tucking into the fender well.

Why are you surprised that a wheel with more less backspacing rubs your body more? You're no longer tucking into the fender well.

My original measurements were all based on the 4" BS. I didn't measure the clearance on the outer front once installed
as I didn't realize it was so close. 1/2" isn't much, just caught me by surprise. I'm not complaining, the 74 looks better
with the wheels than the 60 did to me anyhow now. All good.
One other little thing, these are a 34" tire and why I didn't jump into a 35" tire as my research had shown me they would definitely need much more lift to clear.
Good info for others looking at the multitudes of tire wheel combos out there. J

My original measurements were all based on the 4" BS. I didn't measure the clearance on the outer front once installed
as I didn't realize it was so close. 1/2" isn't much, just caught me by surprise. I'm not complaining, the 74 looks better
with the wheels than the 60 did to me anyhow now. All good.
One other little thing, these are a 34" tire and why I didn't jump into a 35" tire as my research had shown me they would definitely need much more lift to clear.
Good info for others looking at the multitudes of tire wheel combos out there. J

Yes I dig the look on the 74 too!

@HDJDub -

What's your longer term happiness with the white finish on these wheels?

Does brake dust eat the finish, even in the backside lips?

I was offered a set, but frankly like the TRD pro T4R wheels of late - esp the aftermarket ones in real 17x8. (Kopi wheels, not 17x8 offered by Mr. T - just 17x7 from my understanding).

But I was offered/ local 80 acquaintance knew of a set w/ Toyo 35 or 37's tires, someone wadded up their 80 so a buddy knew of a set FS.

Haven't seen them yet - wasn't super interested but for a used price if they're 17x8 I could be swayed, prob would blast & PC or just Plastidip them a dark grey/bronze. I think the white on my black 80 would look just wrong, you know?

Is the white super glossy & needs a good scuffing, or is it flat enough to Plastidip & run, then peel Plastidip off to sell at some point down the line?

Last edited:
@LINUS The white is really deep and glossy looking in my opinion. I love them and would love a set of the white for my Black 97 personally, I have a couple friends with them in the white.

@LINUS The white is really deep and glossy looking in my opinion. I love them and would love a set of the white for my Black 97 personally, I have a couple friends with them in the white.

If I pass in favor of a set of the Kopi TRD 4runner 6 spokes & I find out the source, I'll pass along contact info (prob will pass, need to see in person).

IDK, I also need to see what colors Plastidip comes in if the price is a smoking deal - if they're cheap that goes a long ways too.

I'd just heard it from a bike buddy who said it was on same body/gen as my LC - I didn't remember to follow up once we were done & back at the truck & tossing bikes in it.

So here's a odd turn:

It seems like it's @HDJDub 's 80 (?!?!)

I texted my buddy I ride with/is planning on buying an 80 soon & he sent me the CL ad link -

80 Series Landcruiser Aftermarket Parts

It looks like his 80, and the location fits, plus I looked & he's been off Mud since ~month ago, and ad is near that in age. May not be him, IDK.

The ask $$$ for them is way more than I want to pay, I'll do the 17x8 version of the TRD 4runner wheels/ new Goodyear/BFG rubber for that range.

All yours @NateMob, I'm 100% out.

If you get back on @HDJDub , let us know if that was you, the bumper & acc parts in pics seem unique to your 80, -bummer if it was yours & it's wrecked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom