gas mileage for a 60/62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove from VA to SOCAL using a souther route, covering 2896 miles
Prior to trip had upper 2f rebuilt, then the Weber 32/36 rebuilt at a Hotrod shop in VABCH.
worst MPG was 9.6, best was 15.4, average was 12.

At the time my 60 was totally loaded down. Drove her on a trucking scale. Wright was 7460 pounds.

Here's a pic in Southern TX.

20170927_183131.jpg

33*10.5*15 at 50 psi, with about a 4" lift. 7 leaves in the front, 10 in the rear. ome kit with some adjustments

Drove from VA to SOCAL using a souther route, covering 2896 miles
Prior to trip had upper 2f rebuilt, then the Weber 32/36 rebuilt at a Hotrod shop in VABCH.
worst MPG was 9.6, best was 15.4, average was 12.

At the time my 60 was totally loaded down. Drove her on a trucking scale. Wright was 7460 pounds.

Here's a pic in Southern TX.

View attachment 1562242
33*10.5*15 at 50 psi, with about a 4" lift. 7 leaves in the front, 10 in the rear. ome kit with some adjustments

1989 FJ62, 273,000 miles, 33x10.5x15 BFG's, H55, stock suspension, stock bumpers, no roof rack, lightly loaded (or heavily, it doesn't seem to care). I'm in Georgia, so it never gets above 4,500 feet, and seldom above 3,000.

I get between 11.25 and 11.75 no matter what I do.

Interstate, off road, in town, 75mph on the interstate, 60 mph on the interstate, it just doesn't care.

To make it more bizarre, the GPS tells me that the speedometer is reading too fast with the 33 x 10.50's. It's indicating 75 when three GPS's agree that I'm going 70. So when I figure mileage, I have to divide the odometer by 1.07 to get actual miles traveled.

Most recent tank was 9.62mpg... I usually hover between 12-15mpg.

1989 FJ62, 273,000 miles, 33x10.5x15 BFG's, H55, stock suspension, stock bumpers, no roof rack, lightly loaded (or heavily, it doesn't seem to care). I'm in Georgia, so it never gets above 4,500 feet, and seldom above 3,000.

I get between 11.25 and 11.75 no matter what I do.

Interstate, off road, in town, 75mph on the interstate, 60 mph on the interstate, it just doesn't care.

To make it more bizarre, the GPS tells me that the speedometer is reading too fast with the 33 x 10.50's. It's indicating 75 when three GPS's agree that I'm going 70. So when I figure mileage, I have to divide the odometer by 1.07 to get actual miles traveled.
OH, good point. Then I too need to divide mileage by 1. 07 due to my 33's.

Check the GPS to your ODO not just the speedo. Zero it out and go 20 miles per GPS and see what your ODO says. My ODO is 17% low with 33's on my '62, yet my speedo is only 5% off. Coincidentally the circumference of OE tire size vs 33's is about 17% difference.. So when I figure up my mileage, it's ODO x 1.17 to give me real miles. It was 1.12 with 235/85R16's.
IMG_8085.PNG

Either way, we're nit-picking... I meticulously track my mileage among other things and average around 12. I should compile the numbers some day..

Boerboel,

Don't use my math without checking it yourself. The reason I said it was "bizarre" is because my speedo is indicating that I'm going faster than the GPS, when an over sized tire like a 33 should cause it to indicate that I'm going slower. i.e. something is wrong somewhere and mine is doing the opposite of what it should.

boy am I glad mines a 2H looking at these fuel figures!! 26mpg on the way to and from italy, fully loaded, with roof rack also loaded! With my long ranger tank that gives me a range of over 800miles:)

I'm doing a roadtrip from Los Angeles to the tip of Southamerica in my 1988, FJ62 with a 3FE engine. I have every gas station fill up logged in a data sheet. We are averaging 10.6MPG. That includes a stock truck loaded with a lot of gear, heavy offroading, driving up and down hills and driving at high altitudes. Not an inexpensive way to travel. I'm usually using high octane fuel as it is quite cheap down here and I get farther by the gallon.

I'm doing a roadtrip from Los Angeles to the tip of Southamerica in my 1988, FJ62 with a 3FE engine. I have every gas station fill up logged in a data sheet. We are averaging 10.6MPG. That includes a stock truck loaded with a lot of gear, heavy offroading, driving up and down hills and driving at high altitudes. Not an inexpensive way to travel. I'm usually using high octane fuel as it is quite cheap down here and I get farther by the gallon.

Average for me is right around 9mpg with 80-90% of my driving being in-town with trips less than about 8miles. This is my DD and office is 2.5 miles from my house, this trip is done 4 times a day with a highest speed of 45mph for only a short stretch of road (maybe 1/2 mile). Plenty of stop lights in there as well.

When summer comes and I am playing softball out of town and driving to locations to mtb I average closer to 12mpg but that is with probably a 60/40 or 50/50 split of mileage. I am sure that I could tune things to run a bit better but she runs just fine so I am not that worried nor did I think I was going to get stellar gas mileage from her. If I was concerned about mpgs then I would probably have bought something different or swapped a diesel in by now.

if the 33's are bigger than the stock size then you would multiply your mileage by the 1.07 not divide. Your speedometer and odometer are geared around a smaller diameter tire which will rotate more revolutions per mile that a larger diameter tire. So you go farther with each rev of the larger diameter but the odometer thinks you've traveled the distance of the smaller diameter.

or just use the GPS to track speed and mileage because its an independent reference system that doesn't care about your wheel size :)

bigger tire = speedo reads low, mileage will be less.

yes...so the mileage correction factor will be multiply by a number greater than 1. or divide by a number smaller than 1.

Another benefit of diesel swapping. My absolute worst mpg with lots of idling and cold starts and never putting on hwy mileage was About 9mpg. Usually around 14, then a hwy trip will get up to 20, 21. My engine is kinda tired too...

The specs say that the 60 series Land Cruisers get 11mpg in town and 18 mpg on the highway.

As montanabob1 said, the mileage is entirely dependent on how you drive it. My uncle's M5 was rated at 18 mpg highway, but he got 22 mpg driving up the mountain to my camp.

:beer:
My '85 FJ60 was EPA rated for 11 mpg city and 13 mpg hwy and, if I try, I should be able to find the factory sticker that shows it! My experience was that those estimates were pretty close. Sometimes a little better on the freeway but, that was before my roof rack and lsd in the rear.

My '85 FJ60 was EPA rated for 11 mpg city and 13 mpg hwy and, if I try, I should be able to find the factory sticker that shows it! My experience was that those estimates were pretty close. Sometimes a little better on the freeway but, that was before my roof rack and lsd in the rear.
Here you go. Hope this works. If so, read the lower left corner for additional info:

IMG_20200616_212140238.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom