Garmin inReach (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Delta VS

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
deltavs.com
Got the shop an inReach SE for Christmas, having a hard time finding out if the gps aspect can be used with other apps. Does anybody know if that’s possible?

Example would be using the inReach gps, pairing to a non-cell iPad (so no internal gps) that has Gaia installed for better/more maps than what Garmin offers (or have already bought for Gaia).

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks!

The pairing is via bluetooth. You need a bluetooth device and the inReach will connect that way to the device. If you haven't yet, Earthmate is the app you need to make the connection. Have you set up the Garmin yet with an account? That way you will have the latest firmware too.

Thanks for the quick response! I do understand all that, what I’m wondering is if the inReach can be used as a gps antenna for other apps though, aside from Earthmate. Preferably Gaia.

Thats a good question, I dont have any tablets without gps, nothing that old. But should be worth a shot, connect via bluetooth and see if the antenna protocol extends beyond Earthmate? In other words, if you have an non-gps tablet with earthmate and gaia, can you bluetooth connect with earthmate then start using Gaia. No idea if it will work, it can as all you need from GPS is the input location.

Great news. Just turned wifi off on my iPad (a wifi only iPad Pro on 11.3.1), connected inReach SE+ via bluetooth, and went for a walk down to the river with Gaia open. It worked! Tracked just fine. This opens up a whole new world of opportunity in the realm of used ipad minis for the dash. Super stoked.

Great news. Just turned wifi off on my iPad (a wifi only iPad Pro on 11.3.1), connected inReach SE+ via bluetooth, and went for a walk down to the river with Gaia open. It worked! Tracked just fine. This opens up a whole new world of opportunity in the realm of used ipad minis for the dash. Super stoked.

Are you testing to see if Gaia app on your iPad can use InReach's GPS?

Gaia is almost certainly using the Ipad Pro's internal GPS and not your InReach's GPS. Even if you turn off Wifi, iPad's internal GPS is still working. You have to turn off Ipad's internal GPS, not just Wifi.

Gaia is almost certainly using the Ipad Pro's internal GPS and not your InReach's GPS. Even if you turn off Wifi, iPad's internal GPS is still working. You have to turn off Ipad's internal GPS, not just Wifi.

Dangit, did not know iPad Pro had internal gps. :(

And this seems to say it doesn’t iPad - Compare Models I’m talking about 9.7” version, the “old” pro. Everything I’ve read says only cell enabled iPads have gps. Do you have something that shows otherwise? Would like to see.

Rumor has it that Apple is testing the use of Gaia on CarPlay. Available for head units sometime in the future. I know the Alpine CarPlay units have their own GPS antenna. Waiting....

Rumor has it that Apple is testing the use of Gaia on CarPlay. Available for head units sometime in the future. I know the Alpine CarPlay units have their own GPS antenna. Waiting....

That would be pretty sweet. Jail breaking and using CarBridge seems to work ok so far too. Not needing that would be nice.

Just an aside. The Earthmate app will also use device GPS. It doesn't have to be connected to the inReach to show location.

So if I have an IPad with wifi and I want to run the GAIA app, what else must I purchase to get a GPS signal to the IPad without data charges to my cellular service?

So if I have an IPad with wifi and I want to run the GAIA app, what else must I purchase to get a GPS signal to the IPad without data charges to my cellular service?
any bluetooth capable GPS device should be able to share it's connection from what I've found.

IPad 7 128gb.

Wonder if my Garmin Nuvi 760 from ten years ago can share. It has blue tooth.

Garmin Glo2 Bluetooth GPS $100

Dual XGPS160 $134

They both say up to IPad gen 4. Am I missing something?

Garmin Glo2 Bluetooth GPS $100

Dual XGPS160 $134

They both say up to IPad gen 4. Am I missing something?
bluetooth 3/4/5 maybe?

Edit: not 100% sure, but bluetooth should be backwards compatible?? so if your iPad has bluetooth 5, it should connect to something with bluetooth 3.

Thank you for the reply and the hijack @Delta VS . I ordered The Garmin Glo2 based solely on Brand recognition. The Dual has the same functionality and specs; however, it can connect to up to five devices. The Glo2 can not do that. @izzyandsue I will be running this at Relic Run for the Gaia Professional app. The overlay looks promising. H3ll, I might even offer to lead an outlaw group......next year. Thank you, hijack over (until I report back on my success).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom