Gamiviti installation '98 LC 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shapeways.com
Hey all, I just finished installing my new Gamiviti Expo++ rack on my 1998 LC 100 and thought I'd share some pics & info.

The rack was well worth the wait! It arrived at my local freight terminal packed very well with a box of hardware showing up at my house the day before.

IMG_3814[1].JPG

I had some surface rust on the attachment points so I hit them all with a wire wheel and painted over with Zero Rust. I also removed the glued-on plastic trim clips and painted over the primer spots left by their footprints. I got some "bonded sealing washers" from my local Ace and used RTV sealant on the screw threads.

IMG_3815[1].JPG

Rack installation was straightforward, and took a full two hours. My center towers are at their lowest setting, so I used them as a pivot point to adjust the front & rears until the rack appeared mostly level, like a seesaw. Keep all of the bolts finger tight until the end, with the exception of the roof attachment points: Tighten them up first since that will change the towers' alignment with the rack due to roof curvature. Torquing the other points into alignment later will simply bend the metal of the towers and not stress the roof 'riv nuts.' I also had to slightly increase the angle of the front towers to compensate for roof curvature.

I had to adjust the curve of the fairing by about 3/8" in the center to better match my roof. Picture below shows the cutting halfway through, with blue tape making a slightly more arched guide for the scrollsaw. I also ovalized the mounting holes to get more adjustment range.

IMG_3884[1].JPG

All in all I'm VERY impressed with the quality, workmanship, and overall value! I'll be carrying mostly canoes and lumber, but hopefully someday a nice RTT.

IMG_3842[1].JPG

Last edited:
Oh, and I also removed the four ugly plastic strips that ran under the factory rack. One was starting to peel up in the front. Love the 3M eraser wheel!

IMG_3816[1].JPG

Another pic before hoisting it up. Full mesh, side gussets, sunroof cutout, no front light tabs. With the fairing it's no noisier than stock at highway speeds.

IMG_3828[1].JPG

Rack looks good! Did you end up replacing any of the trim that came out of the roof channels? I'm trying to determine if there is any harm to leaving that trim out or trying to piece some of it back in there.

Rack looks good! Did you end up replacing any of the trim that came out of the roof channels? I'm trying to determine if there is any harm to leaving that trim out or trying to piece some of it back in there.

No, I ripped the trim off long ago when I had a Rhino Rack because I had to access another set of mounting points that were covered. The trim is plastic coated metal and would've been a real bitch to modify, and there was a ton of debris under them too. Many others have also removed the trim for rack installations.

The plastic trim clips are glued to the roof before final painting, so when (if) you remove them (pry off really hard) there will be primer spots like you can see in the above pic. I painted over those spots when I was taking care of the rust on the rack mounting rivnuts. Everything in that channel is pretty much out of sight so it's hard to really mess anything up when painting.

Nice thread, do you like the rack so far? Anything you'd change?

I want to build my own, real similar to the gamiviti. Think you could do me a huge favor and measure the diameter of the tubing? I am thinking of using 1.25" DIA tube.

Update: They use 1" OD tubing, just saw it on there site

Last edited:
Question about loading a canoe.

I use my factory roof rack all the time for hauling a 16' fiberglass canoe (sometimes 2, sometimes a kayak on J-racks). Does the Gamiviti make it easier or harder to load or unload?

If I load from the rear I almost always end up bonking the brake light, or at the very least have to rest the gunnels on the top of the tailgate while I reposition my grip. Or I load from the side and it's just precarious. The rear-most cross bar of the Gamiviti looks like it extends closer to the rear of the vehicle than the stock rack. Does this make it easier to load a canoe? Or how do you prefer to load yours (if you have to do it solo)?

I'm trying to justify getting a roof rack. They just seem so expensive for even a plain, flat, platform.

Question about loading a canoe.

I use my factory roof rack all the time for hauling a 16' fiberglass canoe (sometimes 2, sometimes a kayak on J-racks). Does the Gamiviti make it easier or harder to load or unload?

If I load from the rear I almost always end up bonking the brake light, or at the very least have to rest the gunnels on the top of the tailgate while I reposition my grip. Or I load from the side and it's just precarious. The rear-most cross bar of the Gamiviti looks like it extends closer to the rear of the vehicle than the stock rack. Does this make it easier to load a canoe? Or how do you prefer to load yours (if you have to do it solo)?

I'm trying to justify getting a roof rack. They just seem so expensive for even a plain, flat, platform.

I load a 17' canoe all the time with my Gamiviti. The rear bar is indeed far enough rearward to be the first thing the gunnels contact even when the opposite end is close to the ground (I have transport wheels back there). I put a couple short metal brackets on each side to keep the canoe from sliding off while I'm loading, you can see one in the pic below. They're bolted on the rack's mounting plates.

IMG_7071.JPG

Gamiviti is my choice when I'm ready for a rack. They seem to be competitively priced.

You said it was worth the wait...are these made to order? I was under the impression they ship immediately.

Thanks again for your thread.

Gamiviti is my choice when I'm ready for a rack. They seem to be competitively priced.

You said it was worth the wait...are these made to order? I was under the impression they ship immediately.

Thanks again for your thread.

Made to order. There are so many things to customize about it. Contact Tim when you are getting ready and he will give you an ETA. He actually pushed mine a batch up so I could get it a little bit earlier. Great customer service.

Made to order. There are so many things to customize about it. Contact Tim when you are getting ready and he will give you an ETA. He actually pushed mine a batch up so I could get it a little bit earlier. Great customer service.

This ^^. Mine took exactly two months to ship after I ordered in April 2017. After ordering online Tim quickly sent a drawing of the expected rack. I said "change this, add that," and he sent an updated drawing which I then approved and sent more $$ to cover the difference.

FYI, I omitted the light tabs inside the sunroof opening, they looked potentially 'uncomfortable' when climbing through the sunroof. Ouch.

@Ayune

Can you tell me more about that 3M eraser? What do you use it for and what are its other applications?

@Ayune

Can you tell me more about that 3M eraser? What do you use it for and what are its other applications?
I bought one to get some crazy sticker residue off from PO that I couldn't get off with goo gone. Didn't touch paint!

I see you used the old bungee cord trick but then later replaced it with the wind fairing. Did it make too much wind noise that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom