FZJ80 PHH Bypass Pesky Heater Hose w/ Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I initially just replaced the small (pesky) piece of hose on the block, but it leaked. It is a real pain trying to get the new little hose on the block and pipe, and secure the hose clamps, in such a tight space. The second time around, I decided to go with the bypass, and it was way easier. This time I didn't bruise my arms!

I found that O'Reilly's carries Gates Green Stripe Heater Hose and Constant Tension Hose Clamps. Call in advance to make sure they have the Gates Green Stripe 5/8" inner diameter and the Constant Tension Clamps. The clamps were in the back, not on the shelves, and they ordered a box of Green Stripe just to cut me off a few feet. This is much cheaper than ordering a PHH "kit" online.

To remove the old heater pipe, the "wiggle until it breaks" method did not work for me. I had to bend it out of the way and use a 12mm open end wrench with a ratchet on one side to remove the bolt by the firewall. It was still a pain even with that handy little wrench.
IMG_4081.JPG

With the old pipe out and the leaky hose removed, installing the bypass was cake.
IMG_4082.JPG

IMG_4083.JPG

I have been wheeling with it like this for a month and it hasn't leaked.

Now replace that smaller hose in front of the phh in pic #2. That one is a huge PITA to change. Fails for the same reasons as the phh.

Now replace that smaller hose in front of the phh in pic #2. That one is a huge PITA to change. Fails for the same reasons as the phh.
Yeah I will have to do that. Didn't even notice that bugger until you mentioned it. Thanks!

I just changed the PHH the weekend before last. Couldn't get a wrench or socket down to the second mount bolt on the back. I did find that i could get enough flex in the pipe to get the hose on the pipe. That was the easy part. Once i had the hose on the pipe, there wasn't enough room for a straight shot on to the nipple on the side of the engine. Spent a couple hours trying to pull the hose over the nipple from the side. BTW if anyone is interested in a weight lifting g regimen we can talk. When i got tired of that exercise program and was really starting to cuss, my wife showed up and suggested using her pick set (actually her initial suggestion was a crochet hook) to help pull the mouth of the hose on the nipple by running it around the edge. Then she brought me her set of picks, i tried it, and it took all of 10 minutes.

Yes, the answer was obvious after it was thrown in front of me, but i was busy with my tunnel vision. And while its frustrating at times, I'm glad i have her around for the occasional dope slap. I suspect everyone needs them at times, but I KNOW I need them at times.

Hope the tip helps someone else.

Mig

Spend less time freaking about your PHH and more time looking at that wiring harness next to your EGR

BTW, that's the wrong heater valve for your truck. That is for a 3FE if it is for an 80. The flow direction is backwards.

Thanks for catching that. I never would have thought to consider it might be backwards or the wrong part. The truck doesn't overheat and all the heat works. I will have to order the correct valve.

Well my PHH finally gave out. Let the fun begin! I'm not going to do the bypass. I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose. Anyways found the replacement hose on Pesky Heater Hose Kits. I remember reading somewhere the blue was softer and better than the green stripe. Am I right. Which one is easier to install?

I would sleeve the phh bypass with a larger dia hose so that manifold contact does not chafe the bypass pipe. I did this on mine. I could not tell if you had a sacrificial hose.

What do you lose if you do the bypass method?

A small portion of hard to reach metal pipe. Nothing else. Performs the same.

Thanks to mudder threads like this, I got some green stripe connected with 27mm spring hose clamp from Grainger. (Dealership on-screen search results turned up clamps better suited to thinner-walled hose.)

As my O'Reilly by-the-foot hose had a 'natural' curvature matching my intake bend radius, rolled along with this adding a lined cable clamp which is a bit large now, will resize tighter to hold up & away from the throttle cable sometime soon.

bypasshose-spring-clamp-marked.JPG

27mm_hoseclamp.JPG

bypasshose-intake-clamp.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom