Fzj80 knuckles have excessive drag after installing new wipers(oem)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Aug 1, 2022
Threads
4
Messages
27
Location
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Currently doing a knuckle job on my 95 landcruiser.I set knuckles using fish scale and had between 7-8 lbs with correct shims and felt great on both sides. I noticed after securing down the inside wipers , seal , inner felt it started to feel extremely tight. Performed on opposite side and same thing , after tightening down the little 10mm bolts it feels to have excessive drag from left to right. Like over 20 lbs using fish scale as measurement. Can also hear little squeal when attempting to move back and forth.Dont want to finish installing drag link and tie rod ends and have an issue once all assembled. From the videos I see online they seem smooth after install. Any body ever ran into this issue before. Was I not supposed put the rubber o ring inside the kuckle groove before install or should I lube it and retry? Any info greatly appreciated. Found after fully assembled once I removed inside wipers drag goes back to normal (within specs) .
Also see slight bend in w wiper metal ring after removal and inspection. Initially I torqued to 48 inch pounds when installing originally.

image.webp


image.webp


image.webp
 
Last edited:
Place a light smear of grease on the knuckle balls and turn knuckle side to side to see if it eases up some. Looks good otherwise.
 
It's normal for the felt to drag on the balls. It'll loosen up once they get wet.

There's no O-ring in the knuckle assembly;
1790683598750.webp

If you installed one, take it out.
 
It's normal for the felt to drag on the balls. It'll loosen up once they get wet.

There's no O-ring in the knuckle assembly;
View attachment 4221279
If you installed one, take it out.
My mistake not o-ring , I was referring to the rubber seal before the felt like the diagram. So I have everything correct it seems, just need to try grease I suppose.
 
What kind of grease do you recommend moly like for birfields or red wheel bearing grease ?
Doesn't matter if you're just "wetting" the knuckle with a light film.
 
Back
Top Bottom