FZJ-8-my wallet (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: I recently christened my FZJ80 "LOGGERHEAD" and changed the name of this thread from "Oh so much neglect...(Advice & Mechanic recommendations)" to it's current title. I plan to post all updates to this thread rather than continue to start new ones for each project / topic.

Hey guys,

IMMEDIATE ISSUES:
I've been ignoring my FZJ80 (-w- 177k miles) for quite some time now, but it looks like I need to give her some attention. I'm getting a really bad miss/hesitation in my acceleration. It's not present really at idle or all the time. I noticed a slight intermittent hesitation a few months back as well, so I swapped out the cap and rotor button with one from Advance Auto and the issue went away. However now, it has come back with a vengeance and after a day or two of driving it that way the CEL came on as well. I had advance auto pull the code and they said it was a mis-fire in cylinder 4. So I pulled the plug for that cylinder in the parking lot (FYI - the sight of a man in casual business attire squatting and wrenching on top of his engine bay seemed entertaining to the other patrons) and we confirmed that there was spark when I turned over the engine and the plug seemed to be in decent shape visually. I THINK I replaced the plugs with new Densos within the past two years. I also THINK the wires are less than two years old and that I went with OEM but I don't remember for sure (they have red boots at the bottom...). The Advance guy started talking injector issues... I added some Seafoam for the heck of it but there has been no improvement.

What's your thoughts?
Should I start looking at the fuel system?
I don't think the fuel filter has ever been replaced in the 6yrs / 50,000 miles that I've owned it. We did run it to Lake James (1.5 hrs) away in some curvy roads the weekend prior to this issue starting. (The wife and I kayaked to some primitive style campsites on the other side of the lake accessible only by water. Awesome time - highly recommended!) Did I perhaps stir up enough sediment in the tank to restrict flow?
Should I just start replacing the usual suspects again? (plugs, wires, cap, etc.)

LESS URGENT ISSUES:
Also, I have very very little time these days to work on my vehicles, no garage, and a slanted driveway. I'm to the point that I willing to pay someone to work on my rig but I really want to make sure my money is going to someone that really knows Land Cruisers. I have a ton of other maintenance projects that should be tackled as well: (Power Steering Pump, Coolant Flush, Trans Fluid replacement, inspect bearings/transfer case/differentials, Drive Belts, Front Rotors, Charcoal Canister?, Power Antennae) I can find time to do some of these but some of them I'm tempted to hire out.
Are there any other mechanics in the Triad area (preferably close to WS) that you would recommend? I saw Engelberts and Stoltz recommended in a previous thread.
Also which parts should I buy? I try to go OEM when possible but the pricing is ridiculous sometimes. In your opinion is Beno/Onur a good compromise? I've never ordered from them before.

UPGRADES I MIGHT SOMEDAY DO:
Then there is also the wish list - OME 2" lift, Slee Sliders, Part-time 2wd, Replace leather seats, Stereo upgrade, Tailgate storage modification, Paint job? (the hood is horrible)

I would also like to meet up with some of you guys at the next meeting. That's been on my to do list for a long time, but it seems like I always think about it on 2nd WEDNESDAY of every month...

Anyhow, I appreciate any input and hopefully I can meet some of you guys in person soon.

Thanks!

Last edited:
well i'll start by saying this right off the back, if you aren't sure what has or hasn't been replace in regard to basic tune ups then i'd go ahead and do the whole stint.

This is basically why most mud members talk about baselining (replacing all fluids, filter and basic tune up) a cruiser when they buy it so they have first hand knowledge about what was done where. I've never had a 1FZ but i'm fairly sure red boots isn't a OEM plug wire.

So to start with i'd go ahead and start with baselining your rig.

Research what a HAMOM is in this group, put aside a saturday for the baselining and to give yourself time to get all the parts/fluid, buy some beer and pizza and meet some new friends at the same time.

EDIT: I don't normally advise to just start throwing money and parts at a rig when there is a problem but since you personally never baselined the truck i'd do it now

Is this truck a daily driver or a weekend warrior?

Sounds like you want to offload the work to someone else. I recommend @Trollhole at Trollhole's Cruisers. He's in Greenville, SC but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more qualified shop closer to you.

Sounds like some basic baselining would be it, but if you have no time and no place to do it.... A pro is it. Marshall at Trollhole is fantastic, world class. Another near there is Stan at Hardline Fabrication NCFJ in Greer. I had Stan do some work on my 80 when I first bought it too.

As for OEM parts ordering.... most of us go OEM when there isn't a comparable aftermarket, which on cruisers is many parts.

The club has many local dealers offering parts at cheaper prices for club members. Onur is the man when it comes to LC knowledge and parts knowledge and his prices are very good. $100 minimum when ordering, he can be hard to get ahold of from time to time which forces me to get some parts elsewhere but that is because he is busy and travels a lot within the cruiser world.
Others have had good experiences with camel back toyota in AZ

I'd really recommend doing the baselining yourself, put on a HAMOM and meet some great people, none of the baselining is hard (i'd say the hardest thing on a FZJ is getting the fuel filter off and new one on due to location).

If you need to off load harder more time inducing projects then Marshall and Stan are great options for that also.

Thanks for the parts recommendations. $100 minimum order should not be a problem considering my to-do list.

well i'll start by saying this right off the back, if you aren't sure what has or hasn't been replace in regard to basic tune ups then i'd go ahead and do the whole stint.

So to start with i'd go ahead and start with baselining your rig.

Yeah you make a good point. Part of my "neglect" has been not keeping good records of what I have done to it. I'll look back through my receipts and see if I can re-create a better record. The thing is so dang "worry-free" most of time, I simply haven't "worried" about writing anything down.

Research what a HAMOM is in this group, put aside a saturday for the baselining and to give yourself time to get all the parts/fluid, buy some beer and pizza and meet some new friends at the same time.

I am all for that option. I'm happy to contribute beer, pizza, my cheap wrenches, and good scotch/bourbon to a HAMOM. I just didn't want to use the generosity/know-how of the club without being able to adequately contribute back to everyone and I don't know how much expertise I'm bringing to the table compared to others. I've considered becoming a card-carrying-club member as well but I have no idea what life will permit for attendance to future club activities, my business keeps me covered up with work for long stretches. Nevertheless, if people are cool with one more misfit hanging around periodically...

Is this truck a daily driver or a weekend warrior?

Sounds like you want to offload the work to someone else. I recommend @Trollhole at Trollhole's Cruisers. He's in Greenville, SC but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more qualified shop closer to you.

This is my daily driver. Man I wish that shop was closer. I would like to be able to offload some of the work some of time depending on my schedule and mood that week. :)

Marshall at Trollhole is fantastic, world class. Another near there is Stan at Hardline Fabrication NCFJ in Greer. I had Stan do some work on my 80 when I first bought it too.

Thanks for the input guys!

Thanks for the parts recommendations. $100 minimum order should not be a problem considering my to-do list.

Yeah you make a good point. Part of my "neglect" has been not keeping good records of what I have done to it. I'll look back through my receipts and see if I can re-create a better record. The thing is so dang "worry-free" most of time, I simply haven't "worried" about writing anything down.

I am all for that option. I'm happy to contribute beer, pizza, my cheap wrenches, and good scotch/bourbon to a HAMOM. I just didn't want to use the generosity/know-how of the club without being able to adequately contribute back to everyone and I don't know how much expertise I'm bringing to the table compared to others. I've considered becoming a card-carrying-club member as well but I have no idea what life will permit for attendance to future club activities, my business keeps me covered up with work for long stretches. Nevertheless, if people are cool with one more misfit hanging around periodically...

How good is this Scotch??? Depending on that answer I may fly from Seattle and do the work for you... LOL ;)

You don't need to show up to any events really to be a card carrying member. But for the most part you should be a member of the club to do a HAMOM. It's not a huge amount each year and I still pay it even though i'm living 2900 miles away from NC now.

HAMOMs were created to help members who may not know what they are doing yet in terms of knowledge or to help out when more hands are needed like engine swaps. One of the greatest thing about this club is members willingness to help each other out when needed.

I've seen HAMOMs in ONSC as small as a tune up and as large as a body swap and diesel conversion.

How good is this Scotch???

Well since you asked...;) I promise I'll keep any future scotch posts in the appropriate thread. I hope the sight of Cairdeas Port Wood and the Angel's Envy Rye makes someone's heart skip a beat. The top shelf I'm collecting for now. The lower shelf I'm drinking. This is my Office stash. The bulk of the collection is at home.

IMG_4070.JPG

You're gonna need a California King sized bed, Al will be there by Sat AM, stayin till your truck is done. You'll need to work on that top shelf stuff :)

You're gonna need a California King sized bed, Al will be there by Sat AM, stayin till your truck is done. You'll need to work on that top shelf stuff :)

LOL.... yeah it will be the longest baselining ever as I take my time to enjoy that stash... ;)

Got to ask...... in your bulk do you have any 15 year old Ben Nevis aged in white port casks?

tried it for the first time earlier in the year and quickly is becoming my favorite ever..... but of course they were out of bottles at the time

No, but that sounds delicious. I'll be on the lookout for it.

I just used Midstate Toyota in Asheboro to do my head gasket, timing chain, cooling system.... they did a great job, truck runs like a dream. Not many shops work on these engines regularly, but they knew the motor and I couldn't be happier with the work.

I just used Midstate Toyota in Asheboro to do my head gasket, timing chain, cooling system.... they did a great job, truck runs like a dream. Not many shops work on these engines regularly, but they knew the motor and I couldn't be happier with the work.

Thanks for mentioning them, I bought my ARB RTT from them. They seemed like decent guys.

Free Strange Modifications (Jason, what is our name really?) May have some time, however, Jason is tied up with family stuff at the moment so it may be just Strange.

I'm in stokesdale, up 158 from you.

Rice and Jason are the guys you should go see.

The Yelp reviews for the "Free Strange Modifications" shop/Asian restaurant are 5 Star, and they would of course be my first choice, but I heard it was real hard to get a reservation there. That's probably only 30 minutes from me. If that's an option, I would love the help and guidance. You guys say the word and I'll limp on up there, but I understand if it is not doable... I'm going back through my records right now to see what I've done over the years.

This is my daily driver. Man I wish that shop was closer. I would like to be able to offload some of the work some of time depending on my schedule and mood that week. :)

Thanks for the input guys!

I currently have a loaner minivan for my local peeps. Depending on timing it might be available. Also eventually there will probably be two shop 80's available for loaners. Just have to get them back in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom