Fusible Links keep going (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are some things you guys have seen causing the fusible link at the battery to keep popping?

Truck died on the freeway the other day, all electronics work, turns over consistently but won’t start. Scan gauge cannot connect to my ECU (AKA not getting power, so fusible link)

It initially happened when I gave it some gas to get up a hill, truck instantly died.

Replaced the FL just now, turned the key to ON and my CEL comes on (ECU getting power) and when I started it, turns over but won’t fire. Check my FL and it’s smoking.

I’m betting it has something to do with my starter/alternator grounding out (similar issue in a last car that did something similar)

Other notable info:

Not too long ago I chased down a misfire issue that ended up being my main engine harness next to the EGR heating up, relocated it and it’s been fine until this. Could possibly be something in that harness

Replaced a coolant hose to the left of the PHH at the block next to the starter, could have monkeyed something loose there as well.

High current draw of the starter will not impact the fusible links. One thing to check that the wiring to the O2 sensors is not shorting out.

High current draw of the starter will not impact the fusible links. One thing to check that the wiring to the O2 sensors is not shorting out.
good idea, i plan on checking some harnesses under the truck tomorrow as well (trans, tcase etc..)

What are some things you guys have seen causing the fusible link at the battery to keep popping?

Truck died on the freeway the other day, all electronics work, turns over consistently but won’t start. Scan gauge cannot connect to my ECU (AKA not getting power, so fusible link)

It initially happened when I gave it some gas to get up a hill, truck instantly died.

Replaced the FL just now, turned the key to ON and my CEL comes on (ECU getting power) and when I started it, turns over but won’t fire. Check my FL and it’s smoking.

I’m betting it has something to do with my starter/alternator grounding out (similar issue in a last car that did something similar)

Other notable info:

Not too long ago I chased down a misfire issue that ended up being my main engine harness next to the EGR heating up, relocated it and it’s been fine until this. Could possibly be something in that harness

Replaced a coolant hose to the left of the PHH at the block next to the starter, could have monkeyed something loose there as well.
What year truck?

sorry, truck is a 95
First thing I would do is clean all terminal ends on the battery and FL.

I have been working with another member all afternoon to chase a similar issue on his 94. Same symptoms. Think it's either the ECU or the harness to one of the fuse blocks.

First thing I would do is clean all terminal ends on the battery and FL.

I have been working with another member all afternoon to chase a similar issue on his 94. Same symptoms. Think it's either the ECU or the harness to one of the fuse blocks.

Doing that in the morning. New 8 gauge wire from the negative to the driver fender, and new 4 gauge from the negative to the block down by the oil filter. Also going to try looking over the injector harness, my main harness next to the egr pipe looks in tact, I relocated it about 3 weeks ago (which solved my misfire issue).

I looked over my ECU harness in the glove box when i was on the side of the road, but didn't see any abnormalities, I'll check again and pull the fuse block apart.

Have you removed your RS3000 alarm?

Have you removed your RS3000 alarm?
Alarm is an aftermarket installed by the PO himself (claimed to work for a patrol car outfitter *wiring guru*)

I've wanted to rip it out for a viper 2 way system, but have been focused on lockers/gears/tires/preventative work

There are 3 fusible links.
We need to know which one is popping in order to help you.
The Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM) and EWD should be your reference.

Attachments

• PowerSource97.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 41
There are 3 fusible links.
We need to know which one is popping in order to help you.
The Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM) and EWD should be your reference.
When i get into the garage today ill peel off the tape i wrapped them in, i did so to protect against the hard edge of my battery box.

When i get into the garage today ill peel off the tape i wrapped them in, i did so to protect against the hard edge of my battery box.
Consider purchasing new battery box grommets for that reason.

Consider purchasing new battery box grommets for that reason.
Exactly, better to do it that way as opposed to insulating the wires. Didn't have time to run to the store yesterday to find a grommet, I'll search today when i go buy new ground wires.

Hard to say which one is going.....

98FD56AF-EE1F-4483-9AF0-60DC0333327B.jpeg

75FD80D0-DBEC-48B6-AD37-38ACD0C796DE.jpeg

Blue and black read between 1.6 and 2.3

pink at the connector reads nothing at all

I’ll read through JonHeld’s link, but any ideas are appreciated. Obviously I know I’m looking for what’s operated on that stream

0A76044B-C82F-446F-A43A-D445378E75C6.jpeg

And excuse the s***ty multimeter, readings may be off but I can’t for the life of me find my good one

Exactly, better to do it that way as opposed to insulating the wires. Didn't have time to run to the store yesterday to find a grommet, I'll search today when i go buy new ground wires.
You can get them through McGeorge Toyota online. Perfect fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom