Full length lower dash pad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris8760

SILVER Star
Threads
Have been searching around, but these must be hard to come by...

A PO unfortunately hacked the radio slot pretty badly. I have no plans for a radio, so a full length lower dash pad seemed ideal... This is a 1976. Anyone have a link to this part? Or any other creative ideas?

image.jpg

Just repair it with new sheet metal. Or post up in the classifieds for that section of a scrap dash. I gave away a whole dash/firewall from a wrecked truck some years ago, so they're out there. Pretty easy repair, actually, and you can customize it for any other switches or accessories you'd like to add.

Have been searching around, but these must be hard to come by...

A PO unfortunately hacked the radio slot pretty badly. I have no plans for a radio, so a full length lower dash pad seemed ideal... This is a 1976. Anyone have a link to this part? Or any other creative ideas?

View attachment 1004645

I haven't seen any new full length pads for sale. A few sources like specter for the later two piece set.
Personally I'd do the bodywork and make it right. You'd be happier down the road. Find a donor dash and if the bodywork
is out of your pay grade, have it done. Land Cruisers are like your teeth. Treat them right and they can last a lifetime

I can't seem to find a 'before' pic of what mine looked like, but it was hacked up as bad or worse than yours. Here's an 'after' pic. Not a real close up pic, but you get the idea. I'm going with the standard lower dash pads, and may end up using the filled in radio area later for custom switches. But, at least it looks a lot better now. I'm planning on going with a Tuffy console, so any music solution will go in there eventually.

DSC_0289.JPG

The original radio location makes a great spot for a smaller CB or ham radio.

@YELLA DAWG came up with a storage solution - of course, it would have to be a bit larger for your's.

There are a number of switch-plate ideas on MUD - I've seen a couple that had a half dozen switches mounted in-line.

I filled my radio hole with a home made 2-gauge cluster (tach and vacuum gauge) - made from 26ga sheet metal, bent with a straight edge and a couple of vice grip clamps

Gauge Cluster 1.JPG

I just finished piecing in around my hacked radio hole. Easy fix would be to buy the lower pad from Sor if you don't mind paying the dough for it.

uploadfromtaptalk1418527622691.jpg

My hole had been raped and pillaged also... :grinpimp:

I decided to put a gauge cluster in there since i needed a home for them that didn't look ghetto. I wanted to use the 2-1/8" gauges I had so needed to keep the hole wide and tall, which meant I couldn't use the stock lower pads without cutting into them. Had to design and build a faux pad with foam and ballistic cordura on an aluminum backing plate. I think it came out looking clean. Still undecided as to what I'll do about music, been over 5 years now driving silent - sort of. Most likely will just use my iPhone... and an amplifier.

IMG_3526.jpg

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom