Full Hood Black Vinyl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like im going Plasti-dip.... Cost Cheap, quote for a 2nd hood came back too high, vinyl can happen in the future if plasti-dip doesnt hold up. project should be done in coming weeks, ill post up with final product.

Question: should i take the hood off and plasti-dip spray it, or can i leave it on the truck and tape it off?

Looks like im going Plasti-dip.... Cost Cheap, quote for a 2nd hood came back too high, vinyl can happen in the future if plasti-dip doesnt hold up. project should be done in coming weeks, ill post up with final product.

Question: should i take the hood off and plasti-dip spray it, or can i leave it on the truck and tape it off?

This is a full plasti dip job on this FZJ80, he is a mud member. I think it is like 2 or 3 years old
20170929_202239.jpg

@Fj81 Great pic, I guess this answers the question I can leave the hood on the truck lol

I bought a brand new aftermarket hood from some automotive wearhouse company for $260, came in black. Haven't gotten around to painting it yet. Only downside is I had to punch new holes in it for the sprayer nozzles.

Why not get some Monstaliner and coat the hood with the flat black version? Less expensive and VERY durable!

@graham5david thanks for the lead

@Heckraiser The quote for a salvaged hood was considerably more than what you paid, there is apparently a fair amount of demand

@BILT4ME I dont want anything permanent on the original hood as its in perfect condition, your suggestion would be an easy choice if my clear coat was peeling.

Overall im going to try out the plasti-dip first, its very cost effective to test out if I even like the black hood or not. basically I only need the black hood when using the lightbar at night, and that is only a few times a year, so I may find that I would prefer to deal with the few times of reflective light vs 100% blackhood.

If it turns out i like the black hood and the plasti-dip doesnt hold up, i will look for a replacement hood to paint, or vinyl at that time.

Really appreciate everyones input :beer:

Or maybe try fabricating a visor for the underside of your light bar so your hood doesn't get hit with direct light?

@Heckraiser The quote for a salvaged hood was considerably more than what you paid, there is apparently a fair amount of demand
Yes, I looked at several salvaged hoods from local yards, craigslist and fellow mudders. All were in the $300-500 range. Recent hailstorms probably tipped the suply/demand scale too. This place online got me mine for under $300 shipped for a brand new (not Toyota) hood. I think I still have a receipt at home so I can look up the vendor. The first one I got was badly bent in shipping, but the second one was straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom