Full Hood Black Vinyl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see in the vendor section black hood vinyl that covers the center hump, but does anyone supply square sheets that can span the whole hood? Massive glare from my lightbar is getting annoying and looking for a DIY kit.

Also, looks like 3M-1080-M12 in Matte Black is the preferred 3M vinyl for light glare. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I see in the vendor section black hood vinyl that covers the center hump, but does anyone supply square sheets that can span the whole hood? Massive glare from my lightbar is getting annoying and looking for a DIY kit.

Also, looks like 3M-1080-M12 in Matte Black is the preferred 3M vinyl for light glare. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Vinyl wrap guys do it inexpensively. You can prob buy a sheet off eBay, but I won’t lie, it will come out better unless you’ve done it before and have the tools.

My .02 ... do NOT buy from R-vinyl. I spent a bunch on vinyl from them and when it arrived it wasn't tacky enough to stay glued down at the corners. I had other vinyl custom printed at Image 360, there is one in Arlington, TX 817-265-7446. They should have an installer that could do a hood real easily and it would be a single piece.

They have the 3M line of wrap and I know it comes in matte or satin black. My matte finish is on a product from Avery. My local installer said it has outstanding adhesion. The truck has been outside in temps below 20*F for almost a week straight now and no peeling at all.

^we need a picture of that reassembled.

Waiting on the bumper, winch in hand. Need Luke to finish rescuing people in the desert and get back to the shop. I bought the truck with no bumper on it, so just rolling like this till the new one shows up. The bottom valance is done in Monstaliner, it's just hard to see there.

This is what is under the wrap:

@Jgunner ive talked to a couple shops and they want $300+ for the hood only, which i think was way too much. But i have not contacted Image 360 @Cass007 . thanks for that lead. ill contact them tomorrow. I may just be way off on my price expectations.:meh:

I searched MUD and found most people only vinyl the center hump which was confusing to me since I see the rolls on 3M site show up to 6ft wide, which is more than the hood. Might have to just cough up the $$$ and go with a install shop. I would hate to install myself and have peeling in the next few years.

With that said, what is the expected lifespan of the vinyl? what are most getting for years? im hoping for the prices im getting quoted at least 5-7 years. but again not having any history with vinyl I may be expecting to much.:meh:

$300 doesn’t seem bad. I wouldn’t do it myself for that.

$300 doesn’t seem bad. I wouldn’t do it myself for that.

agreed, for $300 it is worth a professional, I guess I was hoping for a $100 DIY 6ft x 5ft vinyl. but again, literally the only vinyl experience I have is with applying it to the back of my fish tanks (maybe 4ft by 3ft). which the more i think about it is WAY different than applying to a considerably larger curving hood.

May just have to bite the bullet.

$100 x 2 + $300 = $500

$100 for each of the two pieces you order and screw up plus $300 to have it done right.

Remember, you will be looking at this every time you drive. The whole time. If this was on the rear quarters or something, meh. I’d go crazy with the hood.

Very true, I couldnt live with any issues on the hood... like you said I have to look at it EVERYTIME I drive.

Why not use that Duplicolor wrap aerosol stuff?

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1292684/00847

That or plasti-dip.

Worst case scenario you hate the result & it might have cost $30 in those cans (6 cans better cover a hood!).

I didnt even think of this!!! :beer:

This actually solves my problem I just realized 30min ago of the GTP hood vents i have yet to install. I haven't worked up the courage to cut my hood. I almost worked up the courage in November, then things cooled off in Texas so I put them back on the parts shelf. This will allow me to defer the hood vent mod until May now lol.

$100 x 2 + $300 = $500

$100 for each of the two pieces you order and screw up plus $300 to have it done right.

Remember, you will be looking at this every time you drive. The whole time. If this was on the rear quarters or something, meh. I’d go crazy with the hood.
The more I reread your math, the more I realize how SPOT ON it truly is lol

Or get a spare hood and rattle can it!
OI000774.jpg

Although mine technically isnt a spare. It replaced a bent up hood. You could also plasti dip it. Orobably two cans of that, and you can remove it later id you want.

I would .... except my wife already hates that i have 2 80s in the driveway and a wall of shelves with parts/accessories, If I stored a spare hood in the garage I may be trekking into uncharted territories. Id hate to find the straw that breaks my addictions back.

Or get a spare hood and rattle can it!

That's not a bad idea either, esp if @arcteryx / Cruiseryard is close enough to drive & not ship it.

You could take the crappiest clearcoat hood he has, it wouldn't matter.
Esp if you have a louver panel to weld/rivot in, doing it on a spare hood sounds like a winner IMO.
Hoods I think are a few $$$ tho, but maybe I'm crossing up 40's & 80's.

Either way, if a hood is available sand & shooting one in satin black paint (or any of the roll-on liner products) - seems still cheaper than a $300 wrap.

At least @TXBruiser has a few cheaper options now.

@LINUS More options than I ever considered and @arcteryx is a relatively short drive away. Really appreciate all the help guys. @Fj81 I may have to ponder over the spare hood idea more. if i store my hood 'behind' my parts shelf it doesnt really count as taking over more space right ;)

Even if the hood was say $150, plus a couple of cans of whatever and a zunny day, boom! Done. But that also means you have to store the other hood.

**you beat me to mention the hood storage thing.*

You know, plastidip is the right answer. Vinyl wraps are a bitch to take off in 2 years if installed right. It’s also the cheapest method and you can redo it any time you need/want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom