fuel light/ stalling issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, new to the site and to Cruisers in general! I picked up a a 92 fj80 this summer with 200k miles on the clock! She is super clean and purrs like a kitten, as of January 1, she will be eligible for collector plates, which is my goal, bone stock, super clean, and minor wheeling (logging roads to remote lakes/ hikes, etc!)

I scoured the site this morning for a couple of hours and found a few posts with my exact problem. Now, I am not asking for trouble shooting tips (as they are covered quite extensively, thanks all!), having done the research I have some great starting points. Thank you to all for the insight and tips, however, what I have noted is that very few posts actually contain the final solution (ggrrrrrr!!!!). I'm new and not trying to make enemies... but here it is:

Intermittent stall. This happened twice so far and on the hwy: fuel gets around half tank, and the fuel lights comes on for a bit, then the engine dies (no CEL). The first time I waited 5 mins and she fired back up. Just recently (after having done some research here), coming back from a long trip, same thing, pulled off safely, popped the hood, and swapped the EFI relay (which was quite warm to the touch) with a spare and she fired right up and I drove off. The fuel light came on a couple mins later, I bailed off the hwy, she stumbled once for a split second, then continued without issue. The light went off and I made it home.

I am hoping someone who has posted previously who had this same issue can please post the solution? I understand it may not be the same as my issue, but... fuel light on, around half tank, stalling.... from what I've read it seems sort of common!

Thanks all, again, not asking for someone to post all kinds of trouble shooting tips, I have read/ book marked those threads!

Are you sure your fuel gauge is accurate?
If the low fuel light is coming on at 1/2 tank and there truly is 1/2 tank of fuel, then it sounds like you have a short in the fuel pump harness.

Thank you for the reply. I do actually have half of a tank! My thought is that there is some direct co-relation to the fuel light coming on and the stalling. My first order of business will be to pull the tank cover and inspect the assembly/ wiring/ connectors/ etc. One thing I did note was a smell of fuel after my trip at the fuel cap itself. If memory serves me when I released the cap, there wasn't any pressure build up or hiss. There certainly are not any fuel leaks!
Thanks again! I will post the solution once solved, may not be for a few weeks though.

Solution: john, thank you, you were right. I found a short in the fuel pump wiring. Where the loom comes through the grommet into the rear pas side floor under the carpet, the grommet was not inserted and the wires were rubbing against the edge. The casing had worn off two wires and both were green with oxidization. A small length of wire spliced in and some solder, we are good to go. thank you again for your help. I really do appreciate it!!!

I just wanted to add to this. I thought I had solved my problem, but it continued. I actually thought I was out of gas and coasted about 6 k downhill right into a chevron and muscled my was up to the only pump available (wrong side of course, but I made it work) and put in 59.8 litres (I thought maybe it was a 60 litre tank). Anyways, she fired up and we were off to the races. I discovered shortly after she has a 92 lt tank.

Anyways, while she was down waiting for my water pump to come in, I figured I would pull the inspection cover/ fuel pump, etc. To my shock and disgust, the gas tank was full of rust/ metal, etc, just disgusting. So I drained 50 l of gas and dropped the tank.

Long story short, found a good tank from my local land cruiser shop (thanks Steve!), replaced the fuel pump and strainer, blew out the lines, replaced the fuel filter (pure brown gas back flushed) and hot damn, we are off. She has never run better. The power with the new exhaust and the AFM mod is actually more than acceptable, seat of the pants improvement!

My guess is the pump was clogging and causing an 'out of gas scenario', hence the fuel light, the stuttering, then stalling.

Thought I would share that in case anyone else was having issues

I just wanted to add to this. I thought I had solved my problem, but it continued. I actually thought I was out of gas and coasted about 6 k downhill right into a chevron and muscled my was up to the only pump available (wrong side of course, but I made it work) and put in 59.8 litres (I thought maybe it was a 60 litre tank). Anyways, she fired up and we were off to the races. I discovered shortly after she has a 92 lt tank.

Anyways, while she was down waiting for my water pump to come in, I figured I would pull the inspection cover/ fuel pump, etc. To my shock and disgust, the gas tank was full of rust/ metal, etc, just disgusting. So I drained 50 l of gas and dropped the tank.

Long story short, found a good tank from my local land cruiser shop (thanks Steve!), replaced the fuel pump and strainer, blew out the lines, replaced the fuel filter (pure brown gas back flushed) and hot damn, we are off. She has never run better. The power with the new exhaust and the AFM mod is actually more than acceptable, seat of the pants improvement!

My guess is the pump was clogging and causing an 'out of gas scenario', hence the fuel light, the stuttering, then stalling.

Thought I would share that in case anyone else was having issues
This is interesting indeed. I think us 80s owners often neglect to check the condition of our fuel tanks and like you I think my beast which had been sitting in a garage collecting dust for so long is suffering the effects of a slimy rusted tank. I filled them both up, and emptied a couple of bottles of fuel cleaner into them and starting to improve with every drive. Like you I was experiencing choking and stalling.....
Question. Was the fuel pump/filter an easy job? I have never done before

This is interesting indeed. I think us 80s owners often neglect to check the condition of our fuel tanks and like you I think my beast which had been sitting in a garage collecting dust for so long is suffering the effects of a slimy rusted tank. I filled them both up, and emptied a couple of bottles of fuel cleaner into them and starting to improve with every drive. Like you I was experiencing choking and stalling.....
Question. Was the fuel pump/filter an easy job? I have never done before
The fuel pump is easily accessed through an access panel in the floor. You remove the center row seats and pull back the carpet. I would have all replacement parts at the ready if you are unsure of the condition.

Fuel Pump.JPG

You'll want a fuel pump housing gasket, a fuel pump filter w/clip, and possibly a new fuel pump cushion.

The fuel pump is easily accessed through an access panel in the floor. You remove the center row seats and pull back the carpet. I would have all replacement parts at the ready if you are unsure of the condition.

View attachment 1308744

You'll want a fuel pump housing gasket, a fuel pump filter w/clip, and possibly a new fuel pump cushion.
Thanks for that I will give it a crack when the parts arrive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom