Frustrated looking for a GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or do what I did. I’m in So Cal and couldnt find anything so went to the Internet. Seen some pics of one in Brooklyn New York!! Said F it bought it and it’s on a truck headed this way as we speak. Wife doesn’t have a clue i bought it. So yeah have patience. This is probably one of the more dumb things I’ve done. Oh well is what it is. See what happens when it gets here. Hope it’s remotely decent. I have a pile of parts here to be put on. Learn from others stupid mistakes. Lol

Your first mistake was thinking of buying anything in BK that isn't IPA or brick oven pizza.

These are expensive vehicles, that will need expensive repairs.

Eh, GX470s can easily be found for less than $10k. The mechanicals are off the shelf Toyota. Not overly expensive in either respect.

Just kinda frustrated in my search, I really want a fun camping rig for my family of 5, but I don't want to buy something that is going to be a bucket of problems. Am i asking too much?

I looked at a bunch of 470s. All of them, including the one I bought, had at least a few flaws. I'm sure a mint condition GX exists, but it won't be easy to find.

The paint on these things is paper thin, so rock chips, especially on the hood around the grille, are common. The factory finish on the wheels seems to bubble and flake easily. From what I've seen, the vast majority of GXs seem to have spent most of their lives as soccer mom/kid haulers and were not well taken care of aesthetically. Most of the examples I looked at had lots of scratches/dents on the exterior and scratches/stains on the interior.

For example, the interior of the GX I bought appeared to be spotless, but recently I removed the front seats and center console to chase down some rattles and I found baked in crayon stains under the seats and what seemed like an entire 64oz Big Gulp soda that was spilled under the console. I also noticed, after my purchase, that someone made a bunch of dents in the roof. Probably a kid climbing around. Now I have to drop the headliner and push them out.

My point is; it's going to be tougher to find a GX that was taken care of in the manner you (and I) would hope. If you're dead set on finding something in great shape with little to no work needed, maybe look at a low mileage 100 series, early year 460, or early year 200 series.

I’m looking at getting a second gx....I found one here at a dealer. 2008 with 77k miles. It is a cream puff in and out. Feels like a rock (in a good way). They are asking $19k and will not budge. Does this seem like a fair price to anyone here?

I’m looking at getting a second gx....I found one here at a dealer. 2008 with 77k miles. It is a cream puff in and out. Feels like a rock (in a good way). They are asking $19k and will not budge. Does this seem like a fair price to anyone here?

A fair price is soooo subjective: That one, from the brief description, sounds nice. But what else are you finding in your area, and how do they compare re condition, maintenance, price?

Back when I bought my 470, I probably paid a bit more than what was considered average. But I also got a 78k mi, every maintenance item done on time, 1 local owner creampuff; and to this day, I am very happy with the 470 and the price. Coulda saved some coin on initial purchase but spent any savings on maintenance, reconditioning, etc.

I used the link DSRTRDR put up and the thing was clearly well taken care of. It’s from New Jersey. Not sure if that’s any cause for concern...at 77k miles there is no record of a timing belt change but every other service was performed on the vehicle. Is that a deal breaker at the $19k they are asking? I have tried using it as a bargaining chip but these guys won’t budge. Certainly won’t recommend buying from them but they have 3 under 100k GX’s so I had to take a look, and this one is really in great shape cosmetically and by the maintenance records.

Did it spend its life in NJ? I would want some serious under carriage photos. Is this the 405 dealer in WA? They always seamed to have low mileage units from all over. IMO lots of low mileage units come from NY/NJ because they don’t see much action but the action they see is hard.

It’s at a place in Denver. I am at the moment at the local Lexus dealership having them do a used car inspection. $160 is pretty cheap for peace of mind. Driving it over, it is in pretty amazing shape so I’m hoping for a green light after inspection.

So all they would say is “minor rust concerns”....and wouldn’t get more specific. Think I could mitigate with grinding, sealing/coating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom