Front wide view camera problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello.
My 2009 LX570 front wide view camera shows up cloudy on the screen. I have tried to take it apart but can not get deep enough in to the lens with the film. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out a solution? I did search google with the Toyota part number on the camera and found nothing.
Thanks
Chad

Chad,
Ok, so I had to read your post twice because I kept telling myself... "there is no film... it's a digital camera!" :rofl:

Ok jokes aside, I have not had any infiltration into my camera, but I would think that if you have gotten moisture inside, you might have to replace the camera. Have you contacted Lexus to find the part number and get a quote? I would start there and then go to the Internet to see if I could find a comparable part, using said part number, to find better pricing.

I do find that I have to get out and clean my camera lens quite often, as the external cover get clouded quite frequently during the Winter months!

I am having the same issues with my camera as well. It seems like moisture has made it inside the lens housing and I am not sure how to clear it up or disassemble it any further. I tried sticking it in rice but that didn't seem to help at all.

Try using a few desiccant packs in a closed container for a couple of days?

Have you checked for small scratches or fractures? It's located in a place where road debris will make constant contact. I've wondered if those eye glass scratch repair kits would work.

I have completely dismantled the camera now.... it looks like there are 3 lenses inside the housing. I have managed to take out and remove and clean two of them but the last one is dirty as well. I am not sure how to extract that last one.

I have also, bought a second fisheye camera from Ebay and I will experiment with replacing the existing camera with it.

So, after a long and arduous road. I have come to the conclusion that one of the lenses was shatter and rendered the camera useless. So I was faced with paying $500 for a new one or get creative.

I went with the latter, I bought a cheap camera from Ebay to experiment with.
FPV Camera HD Fish Eye Lens QAV250 210 180 4-12V CMOS Mini Camera 1000TVL Q9U5B | eBay

I learned the ins and outs of the wiring diagram. I found it somewhere online. Thanks @grinchy I hadn't seen your post yet.

The only issue with the new camera was mounting it and making sure it was waterproof. So I chopped up a large washer and used a liberal amount of electrical tape.

Overall I am very happy with the results. I may go back and replace the camera with something that is waterproof and has a wider angle. But I will ride this one for now and see how long it lasts. I sure as hell wasn't going to fork $$$$$ for an OEM camera.

20181110_122416.jpg

20181110_124059.jpg

20181110_143356.jpg

20181110_143346.jpg

20181110_143203.jpg

So, after a long and arduous road. I have come to the conclusion that one of the lenses was shatter and rendered the camera useless. So I was faced with paying $500 for a new one or get creative.

I went with the latter, I bought a cheap camera from Ebay to experiment with.
FPV Camera HD Fish Eye Lens QAV250 210 180 4-12V CMOS Mini Camera 1000TVL Q9U5B | eBay

I learned the ins and outs of the wiring diagram. I found it somewhere online. Thanks @grinchy I hadn't seen your post yet.

The only issue with the new camera was mounting it and making sure it was waterproof. So I chopped up a large washer and used a liberal amount of electrical tape.

Overall I am very happy with the results. I may go back and replace the camera with something that is waterproof and has a wider angle. But I will ride this one for now and see how long it lasts. I sure as hell wasn't going to fork $$$$$ for an OEM camera.

View attachment 1835481

View attachment 1835482

View attachment 1835483

View attachment 1835485

View attachment 1835486

Nice work. The lens on my LX camera has seen better days after a decade and 167k miles on the front of the truck, though to be be honest I'm surprised at how well it's held up. I wouldn't mind giving this a try over the winter. Would you say the resolution is noticeably better than stock or is that limited by the display?

The resolution might be a bit better but that's probably due to the reduced viewing angle of the new camera. besides, the display will limit the resolution no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom