Front Runner H2O Can on ARB Extended Slide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Recently I acquired a NIB ARB extended fridge slide. According to ARB that extension can be used for several things, including jerry can style water containers. The issue I saw was even with the slide you needed to use a lot of muscle to get the container out.

I currently transport my water in a 5 gallon carboy for daily use (spout), and refill with a 20L Scepter. Either way I need to dig into the back of the truck and consume tailgate space with the container. So, I had a thought.

I bought the water container from Front Runner with the spout recessed on the bottom (Equipt sells one in blue, if the color matters). I then replaced the cheesy valve with a brass quarter-turn boiler valve, a hose to barb adapter, a length of silicone hose, and a spout on the end. This allows me to empty the can from the tailgate and not touch the slider or hoof containers around. By closing the valve on the bottom, and unscrewing the hose, I can pull the container to refill. Pics.

Container with valve_sm.jpg
Container with hose.jpg
In the truck.jpg
The valve.jpg

I use to use a 20l jerry to hold water (plastic), but pulling it in/out of the vehicle to fill and use became old finally. Also 20l isn't much for desert travel.

So 4 yrs back I got a custom water bladder made with fittings down low on the bladder. It sits under a false floor (plywood box) and hold about 70l of water. Nice and low so no center of gravity fears.

I then use a 12V submersible pump to fill it it (or just potable waste through a carbon filter). For out bush refills I run the submersible through a sawyer valley inline water filter and then through a carbon filter.

Just another option versus fighting with jerry cans...

I decant from the 70l into cooking pots and/or a 1 gallon plastic container and then use that container until it needs refilling. 1 gallon is easy to use for cooking etc.

Your setup isn't too bad, gravity feed from the bottom to your cooking stuff. I'd just add the option of a 12V pump for refilling versus having to lift a fully jerry back up into the vehicle too often.

cheers,
george.

Nice job Pappy!!!

I don't see why you couldn't pressurize your can for water extraction when the level is getting too low and it doesn't come out as easily. Just get a schrader valve bulkhead fitting and pump up the can to about 5 psi or so. I don't know what the pressure is used by these guys but it's the same concept. Figured you have onboard air anyway so why not utilize it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=NBGQQCFEQX1DAB28AYDZ

I don't see why you couldn't pressurize your can for water extraction when the level is getting too low and it doesn't come out as easily.

Ummm, I might need to get a spare cap and try this. I own bicycle pumps, don'tcha know.

Ummm, I might need to get a spare cap and try this. I own bicycle pumps, don'tcha know.

Bike pumps are so, I don't know, 80's :flipoff2:

I have the same FrontRunner jug (with a replacement brass spigot) and use it on my Jerry can holder on my slee rear bumper ladder. It's a good height for usability, and I can just refill it with my other scepters on long trips with no water access.

Recently I acquired a NIB ARB extended fridge slide. According to ARB that extension can be used for several things, including jerry can style water containers. The issue I saw was even with the slide you needed to use a lot of muscle to get the container out.

I currently transport my water in a 5 gallon carboy for daily use (spout), and refill with a 20L Scepter. Either way I need to dig into the back of the truck and consume tailgate space with the container. So, I had a thought.

I bought the water container from Front Runner with the spout recessed on the bottom (Equipt sells one in blue, if the color matters). I then replaced the cheesy valve with a brass quarter-turn boiler valve, a hose to barb adapter, a length of silicone hose, and a spout on the end. This allows me to empty the can from the tailgate and not touch the slider or hoof containers around. By closing the valve on the bottom, and unscrewing the hose, I can pull the container to refill. Pics.

View attachment 1784704 View attachment 1784708 View attachment 1784710 View attachment 1784711

Do you have a link or more info on the boiler valve? I’ve had the same water tank for quite a few years battling that valve and it sucks! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom