Front hood vent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 71. FJ40. Between the front hood and the windshield is a air vent. This air vent has drain holes on it. It seems to drain into the car. Anyone know how this is supposed to be rigged up so the water drains outside. It's all new to me
Thanks
Rick

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

Those should have drain hoses that went thru the firewall then down the outside. Still available from Toyota but not cheap. They are molded rubber.

There a few thread of home made option much cheaper. Do a search using "cowl vent hose". That might bring a few threads up.

Thank you.
I'll check it out. I have to figure out how to hook them Install them.

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

I found the hoses and ordered them.
Thanks.

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

A piece of garden hose works just as good as the expensive hose.

D

A piece of garden hose works just as good as the expensive hose.

D

You must have better garden hose where your are at. Around here you bend a tight 90 degrees it is going to kink. I remember one side goes thru the firewall right after it hooks to the drain tube at the bottom of the vent. Even the other side has things in the way and needs to stay tight to the firewall before going thru. Someone posted a flexible hose from a sump pump that might work. The down side is the ridges will collect debris. Molded hose is the best but what ever you used it doesn't hurt to flush it out every once in while.

Thanks for the info. I bought the molded hoses because if all the turns. When they arrive I will try and figure out where they go.

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

i bought the moulded hoses also, then realised i had reinforced (vacuum) hose sitting in the other shed.

I'll learn one day!!

I used 1/2" copper pipe fittings sweated together to make the series of sharp turns to get through the firewall. Straight lengths of hose attach to the well around the vent and from the fittings towards the ground in the engine compartment.
The copper is painted black & almost none of it is visible in the finished installation, just the elbow that makes the turn on the engine compartment side. It fits tightly in the big firewall grommets without crushing.

I used 1/2" copper pipe fittings sweated together to make the series of sharp turns to get through the firewall. Straight lengths of hose attach to the well around the vent and from the fittings towards the ground in the engine compartment.
The copper is painted black & almost none of it is visible in the finished installation, just the elbow that makes the turn on the engine compartment side. It fits tightly in the big firewall grommets without crushing.

I've always thought that the copper tubing elbows would be a superior long term solution, but never tried it. Thanks for confirming it.

Mark A.

I guess these hoses are a short term solution from the post I am reading. Once the hoses I purchased arrive. I'll see if I can use a combination of copper and hose.
Great ideas

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

I guess these hoses are a short term solution from the post I am reading. Once the hoses I purchased arrive. I'll see if I can use a combination of copper and hose.

Not sure I would go so far a calling it short term. My 68 still has it's second set of hoses. Still not leaking but I sure if I tried to remove then they would crack.

Did you buy your hoses from Toyota? Curious they cost? My 68 has a tunnel cover from a 76 so I will probably just run hose straight down thru the holes used 75/76. My 70 I will keep original.

I used clear plastic tubing from Lowes to plumb my vent tubes. It was stiff and tried to kink so I used a propane torch to heat up, stretch and bend the tubing before installing. The drivers side is still kinked a little but it is open enough to drain properly. It sure is nice having dry boots in the rain for a change! I like the idea of using copper as well. If I ever have to re-do mine, I'll try that approach.

I bought both the right and left side hoses OEM on line. They should arrive tomorrow and I'll install them and move on up my next project on the truck.

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

I used 3/4" fuel line and bent it with the tool. I used a rubber hose to couple it to the gutter, looks nice

I installed the new drain hoses I bought new. They are pre- molded and should hopefully last a bunch of years.

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom