Front Differential Bushing Replacement - the Easy way! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced all differential bushings in a matter of 2 hours or less!
This thread is for demonstration purposes only:

Used parts are shown in the first picture (bottom for front end of the diff, top left Pass side and top right driver side): OEM and Febest for two arms (332 for Pass side and 331 for driver side)

I jacked up the front passenger end and choke the rear wheels WITH park brake applied.

Removed both skid plates

Placed two jacks under the diff as shown in the picture

Removed all 19 mm bolts and nuts.

Note or mark the orientation of bushings before removal.

KEY STEP: Drove two flat chisels (even flat screwdrivers might work) on exact opposite sides of the front diff housing bushing (spraying some lubricant might help). Tap a chisel little and then do the same on the chisel located on the other side. Continue to do so and the bushing will come out easily. There is absolutely NO need to drill or burn the inner rubber bushing to insert a saw blade. The same process is used to remove the bushing in the arm on passenger side (right side); pretty easy removal.

The driver side (left side) arm bushing came out after removing the inner sleeve/rubber and cutting the outer sleeve.

Applied all mating surfaces with anti-seize and installed the front diff bushing as shown. Used the Bottom washer on the front bushing to keep the ball joint separator tool centered and just turn. The bushing went in without much effort!

I used my 20 TON (10 TON would do) press to install the passenger side and driver side arm bushings

20181013_144511.jpg

20181013_144335.jpg

20181013_172819.jpg

20181013_185625.jpg

20181013_192048.jpg

Last edited:
^ The famous clunk between D and R, and a small whiny sound right at 80 MPH. Clunk diminished to a significant extent. I got front oem flangs but aftermarkert cv's. Next is that.

Ok I definitely have that on my 05 LX. Just hit 150k. Might just have to do this. Thanks

Just finished this. An air chisel made a huge difference, super easy for the front and pass side mounts. I actually bought the Maddox ball joint clamp press from Harbor freight.

Worked like a charm to install the front bushing. I used my h frame press for the rest. The #5 (i think) in the kit sleeve was a perfect fit for pressing in the SuperPro driver side bushing.

Thanks for posting this.
I have been dreading this job for a few months now. My truck is so much rustier than yours that I fear that it might be a tough fight to get the main bushing (on the diff cover) out. I will be happy to post my experience once I get the courage to actually tackle it this summer.

Crap these 19mm are hard to remove with hand tools . I can't even budge with a breaker bar. I think I should have got a shop to do it.

^^ I basically had to lay facing up and used both my legs to push the breaker bar to get those 19 mm bolts on the driver side mount to come off.

IMG_20191222_133022.jpg

I totally butchered the driver side bushing trying to remove the bushing. And when pressing it in I couldn't fully press it in with my ball joint press 100 percent.. I think I had about 5 percent more to have that bushing centered.

also killed my electric Impact gun trying to drive new bushing in..so hard to perfectly line the bushing just right . So 8 hours later I put it all back together but for me I would not press that ever again. To order the whole arm seemed to be good bang for your buck if you don't have a hydraulic press.

@nissanh So for the front lower bushing (normal one that shows most wear and movement) you just worked side to side the bushing with hand chisels under the truck to keep worming it out?

From your description it looks like you started to work it out with a small, sharp chisel to get some space between the lip of the diff and the bushing, used penetrant and then started working it side to side? Or is there a step I am missing in the for that front one? Other two arms are cheap enough that I will just replace the whole arm, will keep the originals and when I can get access to a press, press in new bushings to hold onto as spares, but testing them they really don't show much movement.

The two scissor jacks you have in the pic are just supporting the diff correct? This front one is on the next "to-do" item list.

It's tempting to just buy the arms with the bushing pre-installed. But you can also buy a cheap 12T press for $150. And then there are the 5 rear control arms... that's 10 bushings right there. (plus a lot of sweat and tears)

It's tempting to just buy the arms with the bushing pre-installed. But you can also buy a cheap 12T press for $150. And then there are the 5 rear control arms... that's 10 bushings right there. (plus a lot of sweat and tears)
Yeah if I had a bigger garage then it would not be a question, but with one that is just larger than a single car garage, I have limited work space.

There's got to be a mud member nearby willing to "store" it for you. :)

There's got to be a mud member nearby willing to "store" it for you. :)
Unfortunately at this point I am having to throw a lot of money (that I shouldn't have) at the front axles so this is one thing that will save me some time by just replacing the part fully. I may change my mind and attempt this if I can find someone with a big enough press to handle, but at this point my patience with having to fix stuff (that the PO cheaped out on) is wearing thin. I know... first world problems, but I am choosing not to fight this particular battle. I still need to replace the starter in the truck as well. Was hoping at this point to be doing something fun like purchasing new speakers or a new head unit, instead I got another project vehicle. Enough stressers in regular life that this is one that I am just saying NOPE and throwing money at the full part.. LOL

@nissanh So for the front lower bushing (normal one that shows most wear and movement) you just worked side to side the bushing with hand chisels under the truck to keep worming it out?

From your description it looks like you started to work it out with a small, sharp chisel to get some space between the lip of the diff and the bushing, used penetrant and then started working it side to side? Or is there a step I am missing in the for that front one? Other two arms are cheap enough that I will just replace the whole arm, will keep the originals and when I can get access to a press, press in new bushings to hold onto as spares, but testing them they really don't show much movement.

The two scissor jacks you have in the pic are just supporting the diff correct? This front one is on the next "to-do" item list.
Yes, a chisel took it out. make sure to drive it out symmetrically. Correct used a scissor jack.

Air Chisel walks it out in 1 minute. Painless.
I used a SuperPro poly bushing on the Driver side, Front Diff bushing as well... hopefully never have to service that one ever again... and no noticeable increase in NVH felt at all. Worth it in my book~

I am jealous of you guys with shop air compressor set up. I can do most of the stuff with my battery powered impact but air chisel isn't an option :(

Thanks all.. purchased a cheap air chisel from HF last week for this job alone.

I am jealous of you guys with shop air compressor set up. I can do most of the stuff with my battery powered impact but air chisel isn't an option :(
Yeah I got lucky, buddy was upgrading when they bought their new house so he was getting a 50 gallon vertical unit and gave me his 20 gallon roller guy. Otherwise I wouldn't have it most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom