front diff gears question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all first post,
So I just bought a 1994 land cruiser with front and rear lockers. truck has 300k miles on it, I'm not too worried it runs great. I'm planning on rebuilding the trunnion in a couple weeks for leaking axle seals. the reason i lead with that on a post about gears is, the front diff is super noisy. The previous owner never serviced it, I literally had to put a quart of gear oil in it to get any fluid to drain out and what came out was the consistency of wheel bearing grease mixed with anti seize. So I have drained and filled it a few times over the course of a hundred or so miles. The noise has changed pitch with every oil change but overall gotten worse. So I believe I need to rebuild my diff is there a preferred source for rebuild kits? I believe the diff itself is fine, I won't know for sure till I pull the third member obviously, but i would like to have a new ring and pinion and bearings ready to go into it while it is apart.
Thanks for the advice
Jeff

You are probably better off getting a good used one. They go on forever if they are not abused.

Your options are generic auto wreckers, Toyota specific auto wreckers, and some vendors here that advertise in the for sale sections, including Cruiser Parts and Arcteryx / Cruiser Yard

I had a similar problem with my 94 and I rebuilt it with Nitro Gears. I had to buy a 29 spline pinion flange for the new pinion gear, and the stock oil slinger would not fit over the thicker, heavier duty pinion. The entire length of the axle housing was covered inside with some crude that took hours to plunge and wipe out. It was a pretty big job. Pin_Head is very knowledgeable and his options are probably the best way to go.

Kurt ( mud member ) at Cruiseroutfitters.com wil have most if not all you would need .. if you know what you are doing it's very doable ( the rebuild ) you would need a decent press and several shims mostly for pinion depth ..

I had a similar problem with my 94 and I rebuilt it with Nitro Gears. I had to buy a 29 spline pinion flange for the new pinion gear, and the stock oil slinger would not fit over the thicker, heavier duty pinion. The entire length of the axle housing was covered inside with some crude that took hours to plunge and wipe out. It was a pretty big job. Pin_Head is very knowledgeable and his options are probably the best way to go.
I an an ase certified mechanic, i just hate doing diffs. It will come down to the most cost effective option. thanks for the site that was exactly what i was looking for

I have 2 used sets of 4.10. . Both with about 230k. But no issues let me know if your needing a good used set. Ran patterns before removal. Hopefully it's just bearings and done. Kurt will will get you what you need.

i have a stock front diff I've dropped and have laying around. PM if you're interested. I'm just down the road in Golden.

Details, details.....

Elocker fronts are harder to come by since they were used in 10% of FZJ80s, but they are not impossible to find. Assuming that the gears are OK, new a bearing install kit and labor to install them might be $500 - $700.

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom