Front Axle Rebuild (ugh)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It also looks like those pins were added. The unthreaded holes next to them were likely the original location.
 
Last edited:
WTF= Wisdom Turns Folly?

Edit: read his sig line
Yes. Wisdom Turns Folly. A glacial pace to put a mutt back on the road. That won’t be the last time I post while enjoying 🥃.
 
Those WERE NOT broken studs but are locating pins. You might be able to turn them around and then drive them back in. In case you need new ones.
Hmmm...the one that has a bright top to it, was actually broken off just outside the hub...clealry broken, so I hit it a few times with a fine metal file to gat an even top to it so I could then punch it to start my drill hole. Well, when I got my punch centered and whacked it ...jeez..I drove it down maybe 1/8 of an inch! Of course I went into panick mode then because I'm still thinking this is a broken bolt. I guess I need "new ones"..but what the heck am I ordering?
 
So, I guessing these are some sort of "guide" pins because they don't have any threads....but guide pins for what...and do I really need them?
It also looks like those pins were added. The unthreaded holes next to them were likely the original location.
Yes...thats where I retrieved them from...
 
Click on my link above "new ones".
Just ordered 4..although Yota said 1979 and newer...maybe they will still work on my 9/74...thanks again..
 
what did the locking hub or drive flange look like?
the 2 pins you are removing are not in the OEM location, they aren't even 180 apart,
the hub should have 6 threaded holes and 2 holes for the pins
 
The pins help locate the lockout or drive flanges to the hub. They also resist rotational forces. The bolts hold the lockout or drive flanges to the hub. They also help with rotational forces too. Stock Aisin lockouts use cone washer, nuts and studs to help with rotational forces and are a little better set up.
 
what did the locking hub or drive flange look like?
the 2 pins you are removing are not in the OEM location, they aren't even 180 apart,
the hub should have 6 threaded holes and 2 holes for the pins
Correct.. I just sat them down for the photo..,on each side there are 3 hole close together.. the middle hole has no threads and that is where I dug these out of..
 
The pins help locate the lockout or drive flanges to the hub. They also resist rotational forces. The bolts hold the lockout or drive flanges to the hub. They also help with rotational forces too. Stock Aisin lockouts use cone washer, nuts and studs to help with rotational forces and are a little better set up.
Great explanation.. I was wondering why they were there.. I guess I was a little too rough back when thought I knew everything 😂
 
Correct.. I just sat them down for the photo..,on each side there are 3 hole close together.. the middle hole has no threads and that is where I dug these out of..

that makes a lot more sense in my head now,
 
Back
Top Bottom