Front axle rebuild Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just bought an 83 fj60 with a 3b diesel engine swapped into it in Kansas city about a month ago. On our first trip wheeling the master cylinder went out, and I ended up replacing both rotors, calipers, master cylinder and wheel bearings while in the woods. The PO had said the front end was completely rebuilt but it appears that wasn't the case. The wheel bearings seemed to be in good shape but everything else was shot. After doing all this I topped off the front diff and noticed it was quite low, possibly even empty, then I noticed on the drive back to kc that both front tires were covered in gear oil so I suspect bad axle seals. I've ordered a knuckle rebuild kit but I have no experience rebuilding them. Anyone around KC willing to help? Or know a decent cruiser mechanic close by?

It’s a well documented right of passage. I suggest getting a kit with wheel bearings from @cruiseroutfit or @orangefj45

I had zero experience on the front axle and I got it done.

Might as well do the brake rotors while you’re that far in. It can be done in 2 days with all the right parts on hand.

And get lots of rags. You’ll need them.

^ When you think you have enough rags stop, and then go and get lots and lots more rags.

I think the hardest part for me was not mixing up the housing shims. I loosely zip tied to them together and marked them in bags top, bottom.

I also did one side at a time Incase I needed to see what order things went in.

just did mine last weekend. Got parts and special tools from cruiser outfitters. Get the correct grease and a lot of rags. it is not a difficult job it is just intimidating at first and very messy. Took me and a friend about 12 hours neither of us had previous experience. FSM, youtube, this forum, and the print out from cruiser outfitters was more than enough information to get it done. I would not take this job to a mechanic, it would cost a fortune and the satisfaction of doing it yourself feels really good.

Sounds like you already had it apart except for the knuckle. There is a video in the FAQs section. For me the part that sucked was removing the brake caliper. The stock brake hose is too short and the caliper won't clear the backing plate once removed. Next I tried to remove the brake hard line mounted on the backing plate. It was corroded in place and wrung off. I replace the hard line and short stock brake hose with longer brake hose. A search on here will yield the NAPA part#. Then on your next brake job or knuckle rebuild you can hang the caliper on the frame w/out taking brake lines/hoses apart.

And I admit I, like many with limited tools drove the hub nuts around with a screwdriver. Granted they were already chewed up. Do yourself a favor and get a 54mm hub socket and a torque wrench. Download the FSM and do it right. After reading it over I realize I need to get back in there and do it right. I have already got new socket,nuts and washer from Kurt @cruiseroutfit

I priced this job out several years ago to a local mechanic. $800

Marlin Crawler inner axle seals . Better yet order the whole kit from them.

I think the hardest part for me was not mixing up the housing shims. I loosely zip tied to them together and marked them in bags top, bottom.

I also did one side at a time Incase I needed to see what order things went in.
Assuming that the new knuckle bearings are identical or that the previous technician assembled it properly , this will work. If you want to be sure that the knuckle bearing preload and inner axle alignment is good it’s best to follow the FSM procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom