frogers Build - 2006 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally get to post a build thread. After 4 years of being my wife's DD she has moved to a mini van and I get to play with the LX. I have read many build/tech threads on Mud over the years and they have all had great info and insight so Thanks to all that take the time to post them.

Uses:
I think this should be the first question to any build - what is your intended use. Mine will ultimately be an expedition vehicle used for exploration/camping/offroading with 2 adults and 3 children. It will see moderate offroad trails several times a year. I may end up pulling a small expo trailer or pop up. It is not my DD.

Modifications:

Armor
Dissent Front Bumper - Installed
BIOR Sliders - Installed
BIOR Skids - Installed
BIOR Rear Bumper - Installed

Suspension
AHC - its working well so I intend to keep it with some slight mods if needed
Front Torsion - Adjust stock one to get pressures correct (May look into Stock LC or OME if needed)
Rear Springs - 80 Series Springs (Installed but may change)
1/2" BL - Installed

Tires
295/70-18 Cooper STT Pro stock rims

Drivetrain
(Distant Future) - 4.88 & Lockers

Electrical/Lighting
CB Midland 75-822 - Installed
Lightforce Blitz 240 - Installed
HID Low Beams with TRS retrofit and custom bracket - Installed
Engo 12000s - Installed
Aux Fuse/Relay box - Installed
Dual Battery setup - Installed
Fridge - Installed

Interior
Rear Cargo storage - DIY Built
Fridge slide - Installed

Exterior
Gavamiti Roof Rack - Installed

Interesting Maintenance:
Fluids - AHC, Diff, Power Steering, Tranny
Surface Rust Clean-up - POR15
Heater T's
Adjusted Torsion Bars

Stock Picture:
IMG_7492.JPG

Current Picture:

IMG_20180127_160003.jpg

Last edited:
Fluids

I found myself doing a bunch of research on fluids and found it interesting to see what other people are using. This is my current list

Oil - Mobil1 5W-30
Filter - OEM
Diff Fluids - Royal Purple 75W-90 (Will be switching to Amsoil Severe I just had the RP lying around)
Power Steering - Redline D4 ATF
Transmission - Amsoil Signature Series
Brake - Amsoil Series 500
Grease - Mobil1 & Amsoil
AHC - OEM
Coolant - OEM

Last edited:
Surface Rust Clean-UP

In preparation for installing my bumper I decided to clean up some of the surface rust, this also gave me an excuse to take off my running boards. A friend of mine had given me his leftover POR15 kit so that is what I used.

07-IMAG0125.jpg

Before Pictures:

03-IMAG0121.jpg

02-IMAG0120.jpg

First Step was to degrease. I sprayed on the POR15 marine clean along with my pressure washer the combination did of good job of removing all the gunk. After letting that dry I hit the bad areas with a wire brush on my air grinder. I followed that up with applying the POR15 metal prep with a brush followed by another rinse. NOTE: The areas with the worse rust were on the top side of the front frame there were foam inserts there - not sure of there purpose except to trap moisture. I had to get in there with a screwdriver to scrap it all out.

Tool used (sorry for the blurry pic but you get the idea)

08-IMAG0126.jpg

Last edited:
Surface Rust - CONT

Etched Surfaces from Metal Prep

11-IMAG0132.jpg

12-IMAG0133.jpg

After allowing to dry I brushed on the paint.

16-IMAG0137.jpg

17-IMAG0138.jpg

Overall I am happy with the result although if I were to buy this stuff I would not get the high gloss black. When I go to change my rear diff fluid I will address the rear of the truck

Last edited:
Dissent Bumper Install

I purchased a dissent bumper with full bar. I had Ben weld everything up except for the bar, I did this to save on shipping along with allowing me to get a free welding lesson from my friend. Let me say the quality and welds on this bumper are great. No issues mounting it up.

One thing I did before grinding off the bolt plates and drilling was to protect the AC lines

18-IMAG0140.jpg

Drilled and painted

21-IMAG0143.jpg

Fitting center section

20-IMAG0142.jpg

Fitting and welding bar

1-IMAG0145-001.jpg

Still need to clean up some welds on the bar but everything lined up very well

1-IMAG0148.jpg

I went to a local powder coater and let's just say I didn't like the price. I have had success powder coating myself in the past so I am going to try and tackle this myself - after some minor modifications to my oven to fit these pieces in.

Regarding AHC pressures with the extra weight.

Before:
F: 7.1
R: 6.3

With Bumper:
F: 7.6
R: 6.4

I will adjust my torsion bar after powder coating but am thinking 2 turns or so.

Last edited:
Tire Selection

I have decided to give the new Cooper STT pro's a try - what I have not decided on is the size. After reading all the threads on fitment of tires here and everywhere else still have questions. I could not bring myself to post a dreaded "will it fit" thread but if anyone has any real world experience with these sizes I would like to hear it.

Decision is between the 275/70-18 (33.31") or 295/70-18 (34.49"). Since this is a new tire I am still waiting for feedback on actual size, I know some tires run smaller/bigger than advertised.

Questions:
Will 295's hit the UCA without spacers
Seat of the pants power drop from 275 to 295 (I have run the numbers here)

Will replace this picture when I get the actual tires

cooper-discoverer-stt-pro-group-main.png

Last edited:
I have used a few starter POR 15 kits with the glossy black on my 100 and 4runner and the gloss doesn't stay glossy for too long and fades to a nice satin black from what I have seen :)

@timer00 thanks for the note

I have decided on 295/70-18 for the tires. Additionally searches only talk about plastic rubbing and maybe the pinch weld which I can modify - seems like the UCA's are not an issue. I am not planning on lifting via AHC trick or body lifts unless needed.

Need to wait for the wife to calm down after the bills for the bumper/skids/sliders, probably order tires at the end of the month.

Tire Selection

I have decided to give the new Cooper STT pro's a try - what I have not decided on is the size. After reading all the threads on fitment of tires here and everywhere else still have questions. I could not bring myself to post a dreaded "will it fit" thread but if anyone has any real world experience with these sizes I would like to hear it.

Decision is between the 275/70-18 (33.31") or 295/70-18 (34.49"). Since this is a new tire I am still waiting for feedback on actual size, I know some tires run smaller/bigger than advertised.

Questions:
Will 295's hit the UCA without spacers
Seat of the pants power drop from 275 to 295 (I have run the numbers here)

Will replace this picture when I get the actual tires

View attachment 1116796

Nice looking tire but I dont see either of the sizes you listed in STT PRO <link

Nice looking tire but I dont see either of the sizes you listed in STT PRO <link
Yes Cooper took them off their site, I sent an email and they said they are behind in production but will have the 275s out soon. The 295s are out and in stock at treaddepot.

Powder Coating - brackets & caps

Was able to sneak some work in on the bumper. I picked up a HF blaster and some baking soda media to prep the parts. I really miss my blasting cabinet - while this setup works its a pain with media flying everywhere. I did end up getting in there with a wire brush and scotch-brite.

My process was to blast/sand/buff, wash and degrease, put into oven to dry, clean with brake cleaner, coat. I coated the brackets with some old flat black powder that I had just to get the process down. I am using Prismatic Black Rock for the rest of the bumper. Overall these turned out okay, I am going to try and touch up some spots on the caps.

HF Cheap Blaster

1-IMAG0166.jpg

Craftsman Powder Coater (I have been happy with this, I had the HF one and it was crap)

1-IMAG0167.jpg

Impromptu Racking System

1-IMAG0168.jpg

Finished Product

1-IMAG0169.jpg

Powder Coating - Main Bumper Sections

Slight modification to oven needed to fit the bigger bumper pieces...still a work in progress will update with finished results

1-IMAG0172.jpg

1-IMAG0173.jpg

Slight setback with the powder coating. The insulation setup was not ideal (i.e. it melted). I think I still would have been okay b/c I was able to get the part up to 300°+ on the side out of the oven but had problems applying the powder. Not sure if was the Prismatic powder or the humidity but I had some clumping of the powder and eventually my gun stop spraying.

Plan now is to use POR15 as a base coat and rattle can the top coat. If I don't like it I did find a local shop that is almost reasonable with their powder coating prices.

Turn Signals:

Quick mod for turn signals, I used the factory wiring and just swapped connectors so I have no running lights. I may modify whatever LED fogs I get to have 1 led on for running.

Typically I would solder and shrink wrap these but I gave a new tool a shot. Seemed to work well - it has a heat activated resin/epoxy to encapsulate the connection to be environmental proof. Crappy cell phone pictures and I forgot to get a shot of the heat shrunk connector.

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

You have an LX, and daily an M3/4/5 - sounds familiar....

Subscribed. cool build thread.

Also the 295s are ~$30 cheaper per tire than the 275s

I have owned several sets of Cooper ST's in the past and have always thought they were a quality tire. Long life, aggressive tread and low noise were all nice. The tire guy I used at the time talked me into going with the Toyo AT-2's for my last two sets. They are also a very reliable mixed use tire.

Last Friday I decided to order the STT Pro's in 295/70/18 and should get them Thursday. According to my tire guy, they were the last 4 available in the U.S. at that moment. Apparently there is a huge demand for them due to their price point which I have to say is really nice at $279 per tire. Hopefully the quality will be on par with its less aggressive little brother the ST.

@DoublePump good info. I couldn't wait and actually ordered my set last week from tirecrawler - expect them to arrive today. I am mounting them myself so probably won't get them on the truck until the weekend or next week. Let me know how you like them and how they fit - I will do the same.

Looks awesome! Why not run tires in the middle? 33.98 ( 285/70/18 ) to be exact. Nitto has their Exo Grappler which is made for better snow traction yet is better than the All Terrain.

Anyways. I love those factory wheels on the 06. I need to find me a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom