"Fridge" Slide with Tilt to be Used with Large Cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just went a different route altogether. Gave up the second drawer for now to see if I can live without it.

From this

IMG_0637.JPG

To this

IMG_0817.JPG

Curious why not using ARB anymore ? I have seen alot of that vintage arb for sale lately.
Your lid seal looks wonky in the current set up pic ?

Curious why not using ARB anymore ? I have seen alot of that vintage arb for sale lately.
Your lid seal looks wonky in the current set up pic ?
ARB is currently in the 4runner. I was shifting it back and forth and TBH got tired of that and bought an inexpensive Iceco for like 400ish dollars. Yes, the lid on the Iceco is a little wonky. It seales the lid just fine so I have not screwed with it. That ARB is roughly 13 or so years old. The thermistor went out on it a few years ago and ARB sent that to me and I repaired.

My original engel went 20 years, I too bought an inexpensive unit for other vehicle ( Aspenora ) , sun curled the lid, fixed that with oven, it works fine just its all plastic so hinges are crap and I had to insulate the sides. I found that on the cheap one its low voltage cut off would throw a code ( E1) and shut off when the compressor cycled on, it would read the momentary drop and trigger the low cut off, the engel does not do that. Engel doesnt show system voltage either.

OK, the beauty is the simplicity. I determined the point of contact was the slide rail and the front bearing of the slide frame. I stuck a couple felt furniture foot pads on the slide rail to cushion it agains the bearing. 90% of the noise gone. Been running it for a few days.

I’m going to look for some thin rubber with an adheasive back and try that applied to the actual bearing. Right now it’s pretty easy for the bearing to scrape the felt pad off the slide rail.

But so far this is working to my satisfaction. For the record I also have extra foam padding behind the slide to fix the front to back rattle.

Little round pad on slide frame
IMG_8593.jpeg

Hard to see but between bearing and slide
IMG_8594.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, the beauty is the simplicity. I determined the point of contact was the slide rail and the front bearing of the slide frame. I stuck a couple felt furniture foot pads on the slide rail to cushion it agains the bearing. 90% of the noise gone. Been running it for a few days.

I’m going to look for some thin rubber with an adheasive back and try that applied to the actual bearing. Right now it’s pretty easy for the bear to scrape the felt pad off the slide rail.

But so far this is working to my satisfaction. For the record I also have extra foam padding behind the slide to fix the front to back rattle.

View attachment 3339330

View attachment 3339329
Excellent. Glad you shared this. My fridge slide needs some of this same kind of love.

I just installed the Alu-Cab #2 size tilt slide with a National Luna twin 60. The slide rattles like hell. I can hear it over my stereo at max. I added some thicker foam to the back of the frame and that took care of most of the front to back movement. But side to side is the real problem. I’m currently waiting on a return email from Alu-Cab. They said they might have a solution but needed to know the size first.

I also had to put 3/4” wood spacers below mine to get the geometry of the tilt to work for my application. My platform is 13” off the floor of the truck and extends flush to the closed tailgate.

The reason for the split height platform was for my prior fridge set up which was a 45 liter Engle on a standard slide. That worked for many years but now on 4” lift & 37’s I could not longer see in the fridge. Finding stuff by braille sucked.

anyway pictures:

View attachment 3014320

View attachment 3014321
what cargo/ dog stoper!! is that lol

I’m going to look for some thin rubber with an adheasive back and try that applied to the actual bearing. Right now it’s pretty easy for the bearing to scrape the felt pad off the slide rail.

View attachment 3339330

View attachment 3339329
Thank you for this. My alucab is wonderful except for the rattling. I’ll have to run to home depot tomorrow to hunt some pads down.

I have a regular fridge slide that I “converted “ to a tip-over slide out….😬

IMG_0199.jpeg

I continue to experiment with different style pads. These little foam ones offer more cushion than the felt ones but still are not as durable as I’ll like. Trying to find some rubber pads with adhesive backing but my local retailers are limited in my small town. This has all but completely eliminated my annoyance of this slide

IMG_1572.jpeg

What about a guide up above the bearing that contact top rail of slide, could screw it down into frame and shape a chunk of plastic that drops down between that top rail of slide and frame, tapered so it centers slide as it closes and keeps it from rattling left and right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom