Builds Freeborn In The USA Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few more glamour shots. All we have left is little detail stuff and then move on to the wax. Keeping the 13 yr old focused is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IMG_6996.jpeg

IMG_6995.jpeg

IMG_6994.jpeg

IMG_6993.jpeg

So we tried to start the truck and it wouldn't work. It was determined that theres a ton of crap in the carb and its all gunked up from sitting. So we bought a rebuild kit and my 13 year old sat down and knocked it out. He followed the Pinhead YouTube videos. Here's a few before shots and a few shots of emissions equipment.

thumbnail_IMG_6896.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6998.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6999.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7001.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7002.jpg

Heres some more before shots and some after shots. We decided to desmog it as well. The truck started right up immediately. You should've seen the look on his face...until coolant started pouring out of the thermostat housing. So I need to get some gaskets. I think we'll replace the thermostat and the radiator hoses while we have it all apart. Seems like a good idea. Its like Whack-a-mole. Does anyone see anything wrong with what we deleted? I don't know what the little 2 port thing is for on the intake manifold? Do I need it? Can I make it go away? Any other advice would be great. Once the housing is all sealed up then we'll start it up again and see about tuning it and driving it.

thumbnail_IMG_7003.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7009.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7010.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7011.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7012.jpg

The boy has decided to work on the quarters. He went to work on the rust and now he's sanding in preparation for paint. We have discovered the old "new" paintjob is a close enough match to rustoleum red from Home Depot. So he's planning on doing the quarters. It doesn't really matter because he'll be doing major surgery on them because of the rust at some time in the future. He's just happy fiddling around in the shop which I am happy about. He's not on his phone or the Xbox.

thumbnail_IMG_1266.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1267.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1268.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1270.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1271.jpg

Dude! New Emblems! Thats worth atleast a 25% bump in HP.

thumbnail_IMG_7035.jpg

Poor man’s body work. Not sure why we’re doing it since I’m sure we’ll re do the quarters and sill at some point. If I could figure out how to post a video I would show you a funny little time lapse he did.

IMG_7036.jpeg

Post your vids on YouTube or Imgur first and then you can embed the link. There is little video icon that when you click it, shows all the sites allowed to post/link from

Here’s some shots of the back after paint and primer. Also rust converter and gloss black on the rear crossmember. Kind of an ad for Rustoleum. Fixing the rust will have to wait.

Resized_Resized_20230728_142646.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20230728_142621.jpeg

We really wanted to keep it too but those danged POs had already repainted it and hacked up the quarters.

The boy is on a roll. Installed new bumperettes and started on the tail lights. Painted the front bumper Pewter from CruiserCorps and installed some tow hooks. Also added the hubcaps and seatbelts. Installed new radiator hoses and thermostat and housing gaskets. It always blows me away what you can still buy for these things at Toyota. It blows them away at the parts counter too. I will register it tomorrow and then we'll try to drive it in the afternoon. I will try to capture the smile on his face for all of you.

thumbnail_IMG_7049.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7050.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7051.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7052.jpg

It always blows me away what you can still buy for these things at Toyota. It blows them away at the parts counter too.

I just finished sweating out finding parts for restoring my license plate light for my 1969 FJ40. Just as I had found everything to make it look just like new, after lots of work, I found out Mr. T sold them, new, for $24.

The complete fricken assembly, including the correct single plug to power it. It took like 3 min to install.

We got it “running”. It runs like crap and the wack a mole continues. It’s got exhaust leaks like it’s 1999. Exhaust is next on the list now so we can drive it without getting all gassed out. Seriously making my eyes water. Took a bit to adjust the idle and I still don’t think it’s dialed in yet. We’ll get a digital tach and see what’s what. It idles really high when started and then also while driving but at the same time dies like every time you come to a stop. It also sputters but hard to really tell because the idle is too high.

On to the good stuff. We drove it. It was awesome. He got to drive it too. First time driving a real (non Rzr) truck. First time driving a standard. First time driving an FJ40. Lots of firsts. Biggest smile ever. I think he is smitten.

FYI I’m the fat one.

IMG_7070.jpeg

IMG_7069.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom