Builds Freeborn In The USA Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the bezel and painted and a rear step
IMG_7128.jpeg

71502850986__55A8DEC8-EE24-455D-BF36-91259881E55B.jpeg

Mine has rust in all the same places, I was hoping for better when I took the the corner protectors off.

What happened to the 15'' tires that were on it? I'm looking for some used ones, something temporary while I work on mine.

I'm in Northern NM

The spare that was on it was original to the truck and didn't hold air. 2 of the other 4 didn't hold air and we kept one of the 4 to use as our spare. You might go to a tire store and see if you can bum a set of used tires. If they are very used tires I bet they will give them to you. Where in NM are you? We'll have to get together for some green chile once we have them on the road.

The spare that was on it was original to the truck and didn't hold air. 2 of the other 4 didn't hold air and we kept one of the 4 to use as our spare. You might go to a tire store and see if you can bum a set of used tires. If they are very used tires I bet they will give them to you. Where in NM are you? We'll have to get together for some green chile once we have them on the road.
Count me in, for the green chilies not the old tires.
I’ll be back up at my place for a spell in a few weeks (near Angel Fire).

Ian

The local tire stores are telling me used 15's are getting harder to come by but I'm sure that some will pop up sooner or later. When my rig is road worthy a get together would be fun. I live just outside of Taos.

Put the top on today and went out driving. We just finished painting and restoring the top and drip rails to match the bezel.

It’s still idling too high. Feels like it going to run away. Need to dig into that. Also got some more parts to install.
New CR weatherstripping
New exhaust/intake manifold gaskets
New HFS extended rear shackles to correct the saggy bottom
New CCOT rock guards for the tail lights
New and used Bilstein shocks

We’ll see how far that gets us. It looks awesome and is fun to drive.

IMG_1349.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

Added the HFS lift shackles. They are 1.5” longer. Also added urethane bushings all the way around with Bilsteins. The difference was incredible. It’s a totally different truck.

The first pic is a square on before shot so you can see the change in stance.

IMG_6951.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

Great progress. Have enjoyed following along.

Curious - do you plan to eventually replace the springs?

Yes probably put an OME lift on at some point but there’s a ton of other things before we get there. I think he wants to do the body and paint, re do the seats, and maybe a Sniper conversion first.

Got some work done this week on the intake and exhaust manifolds. Trying to track down the intake leak(s) so we can get this thing to run and idle better. How do those gaskets look? Can you see if or where it was leaking? A couple of the studs were loose.

IMG_7237.jpeg

IMG_7238.jpeg

IMG_7231.jpeg

IMG_7240.jpeg

IMG_7239.jpeg

We sealed up the heat riser mechanism. I have all new OE gaskets. Heat riser delete kit. All new OE studs and bolts. Picked up new downpipe and EGR stud kit from vintageTEQ. Also new fuel cut off solenoid from the same place. Great stuff from @ToyotaMatt. Next step is to get it all put back together and tuned up then for new exhaust.

IMG_7229.jpeg

IMG_7227.jpeg

IMG_7226.jpeg

We sealed up the heat riser mechanism. I have all new OE gaskets. Heat riser delete kit. All new OE studs and bolts. Picked up new downpipe and EGR stud kit from vintageTEQ. Also new fuel cut off solenoid from the same place. Great stuff from @ToyotaMatt. Next step is to get it all put back together and tuned up then for new exhaust.

View attachment 3486437

View attachment 3486438

View attachment 3486439

this is a recent TECH. Video ,,.,,

in a perfect world this will be the A+ Scenario :D

More progress on the manifolds. Sandblasted them both and applied hi-temp primer and paint.

IMG_7270.jpeg

IMG_7264.jpeg

IMG_7259.jpeg

IMG_7261.jpeg

IMG_7260.jpeg

Here it is mostly put back together. Hopefully we’ll have it back to running this week? New manifold gasket, new fuel shutoff solenoid, new studs everywhere, new paint everywhere, and carb insulator. This should eliminate all the vacuum leaks so hopefully we can tune the idle. Once that’s done it’ll be off to the exhaust shop. I wonder if it’ll be as fun to drive without all the gas and exhaust fumes?

IMG_7340.jpeg

IMG_7339.jpeg

IMG_7338.jpeg

IMG_2031.jpeg

Put my dad‘s wheels and tires on to see how 33 will fit. Little that I knew I would tear the boot on the steering knuckle, rookie, mistake, huh. then I put in all new tie rods. It’s on my bucket list not just because I tore the boot. then I was hooked so I got me a pair of 33s 1050s and I put them on my wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom