Frame Galvanizing & Painting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would make a half assed attempt with a wire brush to get some of the paint off. Take it down to metal in a few places and then take it to them. Harder to turn you away when you are there. I know for a fact there were a few places on my frame that had overspray on it and they did not turn mine away.

I was only mildly interested in galvanizing until I called South Atlantic in Claxton just to get a little more info. When I was told minimum charge was $250 (a couple of years ago) I got more interested. Then started asking about prep. Told them it had paint, grease, rust and response was no problem - they'd just pre-dip in zinc bath to burn anything off. I asked about contaminating their zinc and they said quantity was so small on a vehicle frame that it wouldn't matter.

They had apparently also done several frames for a guy restoring land rovers over the years.

Maybe I just lucked out and its not so easy anymore!

Talk to your powder-coater first - some say powder won't stick to the fresh galvanized surface. My plan with sliders and bumpers is to plate with zinc dichromate and then powder-coat because the galvanized finish can show trough the powder (the giant metal flake look). My cad plating shop has a 20' tank and I was thinking of maybe doing the frame as well and then powder coating cuz I want a black frame. Come to think of it - I need to make sure the powder will stick to the dichromate.:doh:

Excellent link VT - thank you:cheers:

I am giving galvanizing a serious look as well. I have a large facility not too far south of me in NJ. I just emailed them to ask if they would do a frame and what prep is needed.

What would be the process for using paint? I guess you would need a self etching primer of some sort because of the galvanizing.:confused:

I am giving galvanizing a serious look as well. I have a large facility not too far south of me in NJ. I just emailed them to ask if they would do a frame and what prep is needed.

What would be the process for using paint? I guess you would need a self etching primer of some sort because of the galvanizing.:confused:

It's done all the time as is a very good system as the paint can always be touched up. You would need to check with the topcoat manufacturer but a self etching primer compatable with the topcoat should work.

If I were doing a frame-off restoration, I would seriously consider galvanizing and then topcoating with POR15 Chassis Black. The galvanizing should last a lifetime and with any type of paint on top it should last for 2 lifetimes!

south atlantic told me as well that frame must be sandblasted prior to bringing to them? My frame is not that bad so I might call them again to reconfirm this, my BJ42 is now in Fl so I will have to take it to the Savannah GA location. Does the acid dip take old paint off?

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom