frame chop and hitch flip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to cut the frame and weld in the factory hitch like some have done. I'm worried about two things and I'd like to hear from folks that have done this.

1. When I cut the rear of the frame off, what's to keep the rails ainged? It seems like this procedure would instantly misalign the frame for welding the hitch in place.

2. The hitch is not as tall as the frame. This seems like it would adversely effect stability. I feel like welding some gussets to add support would be a good idea.

...I'm mostly concerned with #1!

JB

I'm interested in this, as well. I have very preliminary thoughts of leaving the rear crossmember in place but flipping the hitch and having the receiver come out through the cross member. I'm not sure if it will be worth the effort to modify the hitch or if it will be easier to start from scratch...

Interested to see/hear what others have done!!

I'm interested in this, as well. I have very preliminary thoughts of leaving the rear crossmember in place but flipping the hitch and having the receiver come out through the cross member. I'm not sure if it will be worth the effort to modify the hitch or if it will be easier to start from scratch...

Interested to see/hear what others have done!!
I considered that too. Instead I bought a pintle hook hitch as a temporary measure. Now it's time to get more departure clearance!

There is another cross member just forward above the rear axle. The frame wont spread. Many folks have removed the rear cross member for rear bumper installs.

So just buy something like the 4x4Labs rear bumper. Cut off rear cross member and hang new bumper, which has class 3 type hitch receiver built kn. MUCH more clearance. Great bumper. Built pretty damn solid. I would not hesitate to tow same loads I can with a regular class 3 under-frame commercial hitch.

So just buy something like the 4x4Labs rear bumper. Cut off rear cross member and hang new bumper, which has class 3 type hitch receiver built kn. MUCH more clearance. Great bumper. Built pretty damn solid. I would not hesitate to tow same loads I can with a regular class 3 under-frame commercial hitch.

I like that bumper. However, I want to build something custom. I've already bobbed the quarters and will add tube armor from the frame.

Let see some pics

I just cut out the crossmember and bolted the hitch back in upside down. I think I had to do a little grinding and hammering but it all fit fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom