Four eyes of fire - headlight and harness upgrade on my 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I did my truck, there were 2 issues with DS's instructions (that apparently were not fixed post-feedback). One was confusion over the H4 vs. stock sealed beam pin layout. I first set up the pin layout to the new lights incorrectly from confusion. The second was an error in wiring for the switching relay. From my foggy recollection, the instructions given had the output to the high beam relay and the low beam of the H4s reversed. These 2 issues gave me lights that misbehaved horribly till a good deal of thinking "illuminated" the mistakes. If I were to do it again, I would go for one of SLC's harnesses.

Hope this helps rather than confuses further.

I've received another PM about wiring up DS's kit, and after a bit of searching on my computer, I've found my annotated instructions from him. For what it's worth, I now have one of SLC's harnesses in my truck, the DS components and my building of them didn't stand up to years of underhood and winter salt-spray exposure.

So these are for a 4 headlight system, and I believe the stock pin layout for the 3 pin headlight connector is wrong as described by DS describes in the instructions and I sketched on the sheet. That and having the 87 and 87a terminals on relay 2 swapped were the errors in the instructions that held me up when I first installed the lights.
instruct1.jpg
instruct2.jpg

all the connections look good except the one that is soldered

Solder is never to be used to join wiring together. Solder is brittle and it is best to use crimps instead. Solder is only for circuit boards.

Other then that looks good. Are you going to dress it in black pvc flexitube ?

rustybucket said:
Solder is never to be used to join wiring together. Solder is brittle and it is best to use crimps instead. Solder is only for circuit boards.

In 20 plus years of working high-end electronics from common test equipment to multi-million dollar Very Large Scale Integrated automated semi-conductor test systems, I have NEVER seen a properly formed solder joint be brittle and break. Sure I've seen bad solder jobs that have been the source of failures, but never when it was done right to begin with.

On the flip-side, I have re-accomplished countless crimp connections after just one year of service.

You'll need to spend a lot of money to do LEDs the correct way. Just modifying our housings to accept led bulbs is definitely the wrong way to do it.

...via IH8MUD app

That's kind of what I figured, thought it was worth asking, you never know when something just works out. I've read through this entire thread a few times and can't find a part # for the actual lamp housings anywhere. When I ask at Summit Racing or any other place for that matter, the world gringos to a screeching halt when I say FJ62.

The FJ-62 wiring harness is kind of a pain due to the fact that it switches ground (negative) instead of positive to turn the lights on. That's one of the reasons that there are 62 specific harness. I'm not sure if 60s switch ground.

Is that right? If so, why is there no voltage on the low beam leads? I tested all 3 against ground.

Has anyone had any experience with these LED headlights for their Fj62:

Lumen® - 4x6" Rectangular Chrome LED Headlights

RedLine LumTronix® HH-048BLKI - 4x6" Rectangular Chrome Black Illusion™ Diamond Cut White Color Halo Euro Headlights

Oracle Lighting® - 4x6" Rectangular Color Halo Headlight

The website says they are direct drop-in, but looking at the pictures I don't see how that's possible. Also, Since the 62 series has 4 headlights (dedicated low and high beams) I'm not sure how one pair of these would work. As we all know stock FJ62 headlights suck balls....I'm done with throwing away money at Autozone on the Sylvania halogen lights. Time to upgrade.

I know there are lots of write-ups in this thread about light upgrades which generally require harness upgrades, relays, rewiring, etc... I'm just wondering if LED technology and companies have final caught up to our (Fj62 owners) lighting needs with the units I'm showing above.

I put Maxxima LED headlights in my 62. The only issue is the low beams go off when I engage the high beams. My OME lights stayed on. Other than that they work great and don't have that modern look of some LEDs.

@CarolinaFJ how long have you had them in? What's the anticipated burn/run time on them? How would you compare the light output versus a modern headlight?

I found this set on amazon: Amazon.com: 2 Sets 4PC of 4x6 H4651/H4652/H4656/H4666 Diamond Headlights + 1 Set of 6000K White H4-2 Single Xenon Slim HID: Automotive. I know a decent set of bulbs will set me back another $60 to $75 per beam (hi/low)

thoughts? The Maxxima LEDs will set me back >$300. Probably worth it in the long run, BUT I want to compare against an HID set up like the one I listed above. pros cons, etc...

Hard to say, I only had them about a month. I mainly went with the LEDs because I didn't want to mess with updating the wiring harness. If I was going all in Id probably go with a modern headlight. These were plug and play. I don't have any night pictures, but can get some once I get the 62 back from the shop. Here is one daytime pic which doesn't due it justice. Right is the LED and gives you an idea of the look.

image.jpeg

those look cool. I would be very interested to see how they look at night. I have been spending some time on the web this evening and am seeing some kits that come with light housing, bulbs, ballast, harness, etc... to make them a plug & play kit. I've sent a couple emails to these manufacturers to see whether or not they'd be compatible with an FJ62 set-up.

I'll take some pictures later this week. The high beams are not great since the the lows are turning off, but the lows are a big improvement. The only thing you need is a H4 extension adapter and switch the polarity to deal with Toyata's weird wiring. But that takes 5 min.

I'll take some pictures later this week. The high beams are not great since the the lows are turning off, but the lows are a big improvement. The only thing you need is a H4 extension adapter and switch the polarity to deal with Toyata's weird wiring. But that takes 5 min.

Link to purchase those lights?
Also unrelated but where did you find the clear turn signals?

I've ordered these: Amazon.com: 2 Sets 4PC of 4x6 H4651/H4652/H4656/H4666 Projector Headlights + 6000K White H4-2 Single Xenon Slim HID: Automotive

and these: Amazon.com: Innovited AC 55W HID Xenon Conversion Kit With "Slim" ballast - H4-3 9003 - 6000K Bi xenon HI/LO HID - 2 Bulbs & 2 Ballasts: Automotive

and will have my local aftermarket car guy install them next week. He is already familiar with these Toyota electrical systems (i.e. polarity issues, upgraded harness, bla bla bla...) I'll post pictures of before and after with night shots so I/we can compare the light output difference. The Maxxima LEDs were just too expensive for me to stomach at $160 PER light... I will be out right around $350 installed on a light set-up that I can always swap bulbs should I ever want to change due to wear or color temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom